Ironhead Race Productions
HOTF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 22m 17s
Overall Rank = 376/487
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30(!) and made myself a pb and banana sandwich. put some ice in my water bottles and off to Grand Prairie. Got lost twice on the way (no surprises here, if you know me). Kinda frazzled on arrival and feeling pretty bad/sore throat.
Event warmup:

Nada. Just drank some Gatorade and talked with Mark from my spin class and some BTers! Lots of DFW BTers were racing today--Aaron, Haley, David, Andy, Shannon, and TJ. Got the low-down on the swim course (thanks, Haley and Shannon!). Sebastian was there and took a group photo.

Swim
  • 28m 46s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was pretty poor, for me. I should have pushed to the front, so i wouldnt have to swim over people in the start sprint. I got into a good rhythm about 100 yards in, once the crowd thinned out a bit. It was still a huge wave (all women) and felt choppy almost the entire swim. I kept getting off course, for some reason and having to do a strong breaststroke kick to correct. I never found a good person to stick with or draft off. Passed a lot of people toward the end, when the sun was in my eyes, so I probably could have pushed harder in the beginning.
The course felt really choppy and i kept getting breaths of gasoline-smelling air, since the 'rescue' boats were WAY too close, in my opinion. Lots of boat waves.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front (inside lane). Try to keep a steady every-third-stroke-breath pace for the entire swim. Improve sighting.
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

Greatly improved T1!!! I didnt dawdle at all :)
Terrible job getting my shoes clipped in, for some reason. I must have looked v strange.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 45s
  • 26 miles
  • 17.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed it too hard in the beginning and i paid for it later. I was going really strong up until the last 6 miles or so, which seemed to creep by. I was in pain :(
Had fun, though. Everyone was really nice and encouraging. I passed a guy, who passed me later and said, 'hey, did you do the austin tri?' He said he was just looking at the photos from the race the night before and he recognized me cause i was right next to him in a couple of the photos (and i had on the same tri suit). v cool.
My friends Joaquin and Erica basically live right on the race route, so they came out to cheer for me! I was psyched to see them, esp since there were basically no fans on the race course. They crack me up. They complained sooo much about how hot it was, so i took them out later to Cafe Brazil for some late lunch in Dallas. They think i have lost my mind entirely. with the training and the racing.

Not be such a stud in the first loop. Pace myself. Ride my bike (outside) more than once a week ;)
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

This was the fastest ever. Yay!

Insert IV so i dont die on the run ;)
Run
  • 1h 17m 28s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 12m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok, my fault here. I trained hardly at all in the heat. and hardly at all regardless lately, since my right leg has been acting up again. so, going into this i kinda knew it was going to be new levels of suffering. i think that is why i was so nervous going into this race.
Heat advisories basically said, don't go outside today, it's too hot. so, me trying to run 6.2 miles? ugggg. bonked severely.
I shuffled to the aid stations and walked until i drank all the water (or gatorade), then back to shuffle.
Picked it up again at the end, but my body was basically refusing anything faster than a shuffle. Glad to run into some BTers on the course. I perked up a little, but i still just wanted it to be over. This was my slowest run in a looooooong time.

Practice running in the heat.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank tons of Gatorade and water. Hung out with Haley, Aaron, Andy, Shannon, TJ and David for a bit. Watched the awards and ran into someone I knew at Rice, who came in second in the men 20-24. cool.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the heat. poor hot weather training. being sick. not tapering. deciding to do this race the week of. i could really go on here, but it's just too sad.

Want to say, the volunteers were awesome on the race! There was even a cop on a motorcycle riding up and down the run course to make sure we were all ok. he gave a thumbs up and waited to see if we would/could respond. he was so worried about everyone! Lots of ice and cold water and gatorade. I was so thankful! Great planning.

Last updated: 2006-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:46 | 1640 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 85/487
Performance: Below average
Suit: Zoot tri suit
Course: One big triangle. Sighting was ok, with lots of big red and yellow buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:31:45 | 26 miles | 17.00 mile/hr
Overall: 393/487
Performance: Below average
about 170 avg HR
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops, mildly hilly
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:17:28 | 06.2 miles | 12m 29s  min/mile
Overall: 384/487
Performance: Bad
HR hovered around 182-184
Course: Brutal 6.2 mile loop. I am not sure if i could have devised a more cruel setup, not that I am blaming the organizers, it was as good as they could do, but it seemed incredibly daunting. Basically no shade, you approach a very straight very flat mile-or-so-long two-lane road at the middle of the run course. You turn the corner leading to this stretch, and you can see the sea of runners in the haze. By this point it feels like the sun is constantly intensifying and the heat is emanating from all angles. You can just make out an aid station at the turnaround at the end of the straight road, and it never.seems.to.get.any.closer. shuffle shuffle. the aid station is a freakin mirage, i swear! i think i psychologically psyched myself out seeing how far it was to the aid station. I have never seen so many people walking on a section of any course. Painful.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-19 5:29 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
Subject: Ironhead Dallas Triathlon

2006-07-19 9:13 PM
in reply to: #487548

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Ironhead Dallas Triathlon
Hey, if you ask me... you didn't do bad at all!

My last race... I ran/shuffled a 13 minute mile. So, to me, your time was good!

Be proud for getting out there doing it... epecially since you didn't *plan* on it!

Thanks for the report!

2006-07-19 9:25 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Good work with the obstacles in your way.  Glad you survived the heat.  Keep up the good work.
2006-07-20 11:01 PM

User image

Mesa
I wish I could say that I did not swim as well as I could have and still swim 28 minutes and change. You are a awesome swimmer!

If you run in the heat, either keep it short or take a bottle of electrolyte replacement drink with you.

Great job eeking your way through the bike and run!
2006-07-21 7:33 AM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX

Great job surviving Emily!  You really gutted it out despite being in those horrible conditions.  If I have some advanced notice, I'll do a rain dance or something for you guys!  Can't wait to meet you in the next few weeks/months!

Edited by tri_it_cajun_style 2006-07-21 7:33 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironhead Dallas Triathlon Rss Feed