HFP Racing
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 24m 7s
Overall Rank = 33/139
Age Group = M4045
Age Group Rank = 3/15
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:45. My neighbor was racing the sprint, so him and I drove down together. I was expecting a longer drive down from Dublin, so we got there super early which allowed me to beat the packet pickup lines (which got insanely long later in the morning). Had a big coffee, lots of water, and a bagel on the way down.

After getting transition set up, took the bike out for a test ride and realized my front derailleur cable was sticking. Tried to fix it, but didn't want to break it even more. Being a relatively flat course, I felt I could probably ride the whole course in the big ring. So I left it as is.

Event warmup:

My ankle has been having issue for the past two weeks and I tried to stay off it as much as possible. So I swam a bit to the first yellow buoy to get used to the water and look for sighting landmarks on the horizon. Then tried to stay cool on the beach, in the water until my wave went off.
Swim
  • 24m 22s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had a good run in from the beach, started about third row in on the outside. Stayed out of contact and made my way to the yellow buoy. I was expecting some contact and really didn't have much at all. I enjoyed the swim, but there was really nothing noteworthy about it. Sighted well and pushed myself for the second loop. I think the course may have been short or it was my best swim ever. Looking at my overall/age group ranking, I am going to guess the course was short.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. It was a good swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Long run from beach to transition (which counts against swim time). My ankle was killing me on the barefoot run and getting on my bike. Wetsuit got stuck even though body glide was applied liberally.

More body glide would have helped with the wetsuit and more rest after my HIM would have helped with the ankle pain on the run to/from transition.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 52s
  • 24 miles
  • 22.13 mile/hr
Comments:

I loved this bike course. Starts out with uphill in the park. Once out of the park, you have mostly smooth roads. This was an odd bike. I felt great coming out of transition and decided I was going to push my HR for the first loop. I passed about 12 people (including Duathletes) and was only passed by 1 person. This made me feel that I had a bad swim and all the fast guys were ahead of me. There were a few portions of the race where nobody was behind me and nobody was in front of me. That made it feel like a training ride more than a race.

Enjoyed the ride and tried to lower my HR for the last three miles to prep for the run. The downhill in the park helped with that a lot.

Mileage for the ride was 23.9 on my GPS. I was wondering on my 2nd loop how they would make up the extra mileage since we didn't have to go all the way back to the start and turn around. Well, they didn't make up the mileage (unless I cut the course in which I case let me know and I will self DQ).
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Nothing to talk about here. Got off my bike, jogged to my spot. Helmet off, socks/shoes on, grab hat, Inifinit Napalm, and GPS. Then run out.
Run
  • 51m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out as expected with some ankle pain that had me limping a little at the start. I worked it out and was able to get into a comfortable pace, but I just couldn't keep up any speed with the pain. To make matters worse, you hit the top of this old levy with tire tracks and you are running in the ruts of those. It was hard to pass and had me testing my ankle a little too much. I like the double out and back as you become familiar with the course.

It was also pretty hot out on the run and I noticed showers at the turnaround. I used those as my motivation to get through the run. 2nd half of my run was about :15/mile worse than the first because of heat and foot pain. I passed a bunch of people surprisingly on the run. I passed one other guy in the 40-44 age group with about a half mile to go as he looked like he was hitting a wall.
Came through the chute and tried to break 2:24 but missed by a few seconds.

Rest more after my HIM and let my foot heal up.
Post race
Warm down:

Came through the chute, got hosed off by a volunteer, then got a banana. There were medics tending to several people because of the heat. I went over to the shower and stood in it for about 2 minutes to cool off, then stretched. The race started late and I needed to get home, so I packed up my stuff and headed out quickly to get back to the family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and feet (that rhymes).

Event comments:

A fun race and a greet venue. Great race! I love the bike course. Run was not the greatest course, but not sure where else to put it. Volunteers were awesome and HFP does a good job. However, in this day and age HFP takes too long to post results. Also,I don't do races for the shirts, but that race shirt is terrible. Who wears an embroidered race shirt?

Last updated: 2013-01-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:22 | 1640 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/15
Overall: 45/139
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Two loop rectangle
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:05:52 | 24 miles | 22.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 24/139
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Double loop around the state park. smooth roads and nice scenery.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:47 | 06.21 miles | 08m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 50/139
Performance: Below average
Course: double out and back mostly on park trails and grass that had two tire ruts that you needed to run in for about 3 miles.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-07-16 9:54 PM

User image

Dublin, OH
Subject: Caesar Creek Olympic Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Caesar Creek Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Caesar Creek Olympic Triathlon

Started by cgregg
Views: 969 Posts: 4

2013-07-15 3:16 PM dtjunkie

Started by ihafij
Views: 1073 Posts: 1

2011-07-11 5:55 AM ihafij

Started by DLaw
Views: 1659 Posts: 3

2010-07-12 12:21 PM bananatoes

Started by bananatoes
Views: 1753 Posts: 6

2010-07-12 9:04 PM dtjunkie

Started by Jungle Jenn
Views: 1809 Posts: 3

2010-07-13 7:42 PM Jungle Jenn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : vagus
comments : 3
A retrospective of how I lost 140 pounds and started a love affair with triathlon.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.