General Discussion Race Reports! » Lawrence Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lawrence Triathlon - International Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lawrence, Kansas
United States
Ultramax Sports Productions
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 52m 13s
Overall Rank = 70/121
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 17/21
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4:30. Had some coffee and a bagel and was out the door by 5:00. Arrived at the race site just after 6:00 and was pleasantly surprised how close I was able to park. I got transition set up, went for a quick warm-up run and then headed to the beach.
Event warmup:

Ran a mile on the course.
Swim
  • 43m 52s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

I heard some comments after the race about the swim course being long. I think that was probably the case, but my age group and overall placing says that I still had an absolutely terrible swim.

I really don't even know what went wrong. The conditions were fine, and I actually felt alright throughout the swim. My navigation was about the best that it's been in an open water swim, mostly because the water was so calm. The only thing that gave me any indication that I wasn't doing well was that I was basically alone after the first third of the swim. This was the first race I've done without a wetsuit that was longer than a sprint, so my best guess is that my body position was really poor.
What would you do differently?:

At this point, I wish I knew.
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

I took a little extra time to wipe the big clumps of sand off my feet. I also popped the fairing off my fancy new aero helmet when I was trying to put it on.

Be more careful with the helmet.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 47s
  • 40 kms
  • 30.65 km/hr
Comments:

This was a bit of a weird ride for me. My heart rate was about where I thought it should be for this distance (mid zone 4), and I THOUGHT I was keeping my power about where I wanted it. I wanted to try to average about 175 watts, with an option to let that slide up around 180 if I was feeling strong.

The first and last 4 miles of the course are relatively flat, but the middle section is a bunch of reasonably steep rollers. There's no way I can keep a constant power on the hills with the low wattage that I push, so I just have to try to adjust the descents based on how hard I pushed climbing.

My average wattage was 153, so I missed my mark by a LOT. I was about 6 minutes off my time from Hy-Vee last year as well. My RPE and HR were about where I thought they should be, though, which leaves me no other conclusion than the fact that my bike fitness isn't close to where it needs to be.

I think I could have given more without jeopardizing the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Nothing much to report here. Got in and got out.
Run
  • 46m 54s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 41s  min/km
Comments:

I've developed a bad habit of going out way too hard in the run, so I tried to really keep my pace in check for the first lap. I ran completely on RPE and HR, and didn't really concern myself with the pace. I ran 7:45 miles for the first lap, and decided I would wait until around the 5 mile mark to pick up the pace if I felt like it.

I still felt pretty strong as I hit the 5 mile mark, so I decided to push a bit. I ended up running the last mile in about 6:50.

I could have pushed a bit more at the start of the 2nd lap.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water and someone handed me an Ironman Perform that I begrudgingly drank (ick). Most people were making a quick exit, so I packed up my stuff and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This race was at an odd time for me. I took a bit of an extended recovery after Ironman Kansas and I'm just starting to ramp my training back up for Redman. Regardless, I still had a poor showing.

Event comments:

My only complaint is the spacing of the aid stations on the run. They had a single aid station that you go by twice. 4 aid stations for a 10k is adequate. However, you passed the aid station at mile 2 and mile 2.6 of each lap, which isn't ideal.

Last updated: 2013-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:52 | 1500 meters | 02m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 19/21
Overall: 106/121
Performance: Bad
Suit: None
Course: Counter-clockwise single loop
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:18:47 | 40 kms | 30.65 km/hr
Age Group: 17/21
Overall: 77/121
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back course through Kansas county roads and fields.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:46:54 | 10 kms | 04m 41s  min/km
Age Group: 9/21
Overall: 32/121
Course: 2 lap course through campground and an out-and-back down a gravel service road.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-22 10:53 AM

User image

Olathe, KS
Subject: Lawrence Triathlon - International Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lawrence Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

San Diego International Triathlon - International Course

Started by lmscozz
Views: 2739 Posts: 9

2010-06-29 11:34 AM cjhild

Started by cjhild
Views: 2377 Posts: 3

2009-07-05 6:38 AM BabsVa

Started by julioyadriana
Views: 1647 Posts: 1

2009-06-28 2:39 PM julioyadriana

Started by seakiteair
Views: 1675 Posts: 1

2009-06-28 12:57 PM seakiteair

Started by Scottt
Views: 1672 Posts: 2

2007-06-27 11:49 AM KellyM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : July 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on training after adductor tendonitis, swimming drills, training after 3 down base weeks from allergies to get ready for a HIM, hill drills, Computrainer courses vs outside rides and more.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.
date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.