Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Tobermory Peeps? Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-22 12:56 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: Tobermory Peeps?

I'm heading up to Tobermory for a week and need / want to get some long runs in.  Looking at a map I can see the Bruce Trail along Georgian Bay and I just wondered how safe it is to run alone on it.  I'm more worried about running in to a bear or wild animal.  

Is anyone familiar with this area?  Any advice you can offer?

2013-07-22 1:45 PM
in reply to: kimmax

Master
Kitchener
Subject: RE: Tobermory Peeps?
Originally posted by kimmax

I'm heading up to Tobermory for a week and need / want to get some long runs in.  Looking at a map I can see the Bruce Trail along Georgian Bay and I just wondered how safe it is to run alone on it.  I'm more worried about running in to a bear or wild animal.  

Is anyone familiar with this area?  Any advice you can offer?

You should have mentioned this yesterday!   We have spent a fair bit of time in the area, hiking the Bruce Trail for the challenge, and will be up there next week, so most of what we know is rocky, roots, rough and more suitable for hiking boots than running shoes.   However, the locals might know of some flat sections that are safe for running.   And we have never run into any bears.    

2013-07-23 3:19 PM
in reply to: latestarter

User image

Chatham Ontario
I have been up there for years for the summers scuba diving and I did some running as well.

You are better off to stick to some of the side roads for running. Dyers Bay is nice but further out.

Dorcas Bay road, Warrner Bay road and more of my Fave is Cape Hurd Road.

If you are looking for trails you can run through Cypress Lake campground and the head of trails out to the Grotto. It isn't far but more of a groomed trail.

Or from the visitors center you can run Burnt Point loop. But it gets a bit rocky.

I even have run the back roads around town up there and over the the lighthouse. I wouldn't do this on a weekend. But week day might be ok.

2013-07-23 3:29 PM
in reply to: Techdiver

User image

Chatham Ontario
As for other trails. Wear a bear bell. (not that I think it will do much) But I have saw several bears up there in my time and several of them closer then I wanted to. They are just as scared as you. Avoid running by the dump if you can or near it. That is where they are. Albeit they put up a fence now to keep them out. So they wander more.

DO GO TO THE BAKERY up there on Warner Bay/Little Cove Road. TASTY GOODNESS and they have veggie pizza there and a lot of stuff you shouldn't eat but will.

oh and ask them about their bear. The one that tore the door off and was in there eating butter tarts when they showed up to work in the morning.

In short I have hiked from about Miller lake all the way to Tobermory and I have been scuba diving and kayking all over the area. When my trailer flooded and was written off by insurance I stopped going up there so much. And frankly the last few summers up there the amount of tourism going on has made me stay away more.

Certain types of people populate it up there now and I find them to be very rude.

The golf course had very good indian, and they will do vindaloo if you like it hot, cuisine when I ate there last summer.

My friend owns Tobermory Aqua sports and the Teak Bay Marine and crane.

His dive shop looks like a steel boat wreck yard just before the bakery. If you are looking for a fishing charter or that go in and ask him or call him.

Tell him "Spanky" sent you.

or even your own private evening cruise. Worth a few extra bucks compared to being on a big packed tourist boat and he will allow you to have beverages on the boat as well.

2013-07-24 10:36 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Thanks for all the great advice.  I've located those recommended roads on a map and will definitely try them out.  And I will NOT - repeat NOT - visit the bakery.  At least not alone
2013-08-16 3:24 PM
in reply to: kimmax

User image

Chatham Ontario
Originally posted by kimmax

Thanks for all the great advice.  I've located those recommended roads on a map and will definitely try them out.  And I will NOT - repeat NOT - visit the bakery.  At least not alone

I almost forgot to ask how the trip and the runs were?

2013-08-22 11:12 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO

Trip was great thanks!

I ran one trip out to the lighthouse but for the most part went to that trail near the visitors centre which offered a really great view at the half way point.  

We did not visit the bakery (not sure why) however we did sample every ice cream store in town.  Our fave being the one on the corner as you enter the central parking area.

Thanks for all the tips.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Tobermory Peeps? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Any Pickering peeps out there?

Started by Busygirl
Views: 868 Posts: 3

2009-09-10 12:02 AM Busygirl