General Discussion Triathlon Talk » JFK Shoe Suggestions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-24 8:12 AM

User image

Duluth, Minnesota
Subject: JFK Shoe Suggestions
Pure trail shoes? Just my road shoes? Hybrids? I've heard it all...

I'd like more input on what people think! I'd prefer not to change shoes...so looking for something I can wear the whole way. Tried on the North Face Hyper-Track Guide at my running store and liked it...it's a "hybrid" and I can definitely see how it could work on both surfaces...and would be fine on the towpath. But is that enough for the trail? The rocks?

Anyway, thoughts? Suggestions? Experiences?

Thanks!

2013-07-24 12:42 PM
in reply to: sjb78

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Subject: RE: JFK Shoe Suggestions
The majority of the run is on roads and the canal path.....the AT is maybe 11 miles?? Its rocky and covered with leaves...there are no drop bags so would be hard to carry extra shoes with you to change into
2013-07-24 10:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Maryland
Originally posted by Jungle Jenn

The majority of the run is on roads and the canal path.....the AT is maybe 11 miles?? Its rocky and covered with leaves...there are no drop bags so would be hard to carry extra shoes with you to change into

I agree with Jenn that the majority of the race is on the tow path so a solid pair of road shoes or hybrids should do the trick.The first 1.5-2 miles is on the road, some of which is so steep that you will be walking along with everyone else for several minutes. Once you are on the AT it is not so much rocky as it is filled with single track dirt and lots of slabs of granite. Mentally you will be tired after the AT because you really have to focus on your foot placement. You won't find loose rock, the granite slabs come in all shapes and sizes. Some are flat and can be slippery, especially if there is sand or leaves on top. Other slabs are verticle so you will be triying to find solid ground in between the rock plates to place your foot. You have to be agile on the AT. I saw a broken akle and my crewing wife saw a broken arm. Suffice to say, if you fall on the AT! Ther is a good chance yo will land on something hard and it will hurt.

I ran in Brooks ASR Adrenaline trail shoes last year, and will likely do the same this year. Those shoes are largely a beefed up road shoe in my opinion. You might appreciate a shoe with a bit of a toe gaurd, but that's not essential. I would not recommend a minimalist shoe on the AT as there will inevitably be times when you have to plant you foot on the top edge of some of those granite slabs. In those situations, you will definately want some tread under your arch.

I would also recommend gaiters. The tow path is flat but composed of fine gravel. In November you'll also have plenty of leaves and other tree debrise. A good pair of gaiters will keep a lot of the trash out of your shoes.

Jenn mentioned no drop bags. There are lots of places for crew support on the course. I was able to get three drop bags on the course. I did have a pair of shoes waiting for me at mile 15 as I came off of the AT, but I opted not to change shoes. I did however take advantage of dropping some clothes at that point. Later around mile 38, I picked up some arm warmers and a flash light from my third drop bag.

Edited by runamarathon 2013-07-24 10:08 PM
2013-07-25 8:01 AM
in reply to: runamarathon

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Originally posted by runamarathon

I agree with Jenn that the majority of the race is on the tow path so a solid pair of road shoes or hybrids should do the trick.The first 1.5-2 miles is on the road, some of which is so steep that you will be walking along with everyone else for several minutes. Once you are on the AT it is not so much rocky as it is filled with single track dirt and lots of slabs of granite. Mentally you will be tired after the AT because you really have to focus on your foot placement. You won't find loose rock, the granite slabs come in all shapes and sizes. Some are flat and can be slippery, especially if there is sand or leaves on top. Other slabs are verticle so you will be triying to find solid ground in between the rock plates to place your foot. You have to be agile on the AT. I saw a broken akle and my crewing wife saw a broken arm. Suffice to say, if you fall on the AT! Ther is a good chance yo will land on something hard and it will hurt.

I ran in Brooks ASR Adrenaline trail shoes last year, and will likely do the same this year. Those shoes are largely a beefed up road shoe in my opinion. You might appreciate a shoe with a bit of a toe gaurd, but that's not essential. I would not recommend a minimalist shoe on the AT as there will inevitably be times when you have to plant you foot on the top edge of some of those granite slabs. In those situations, you will definately want some tread under your arch.

I would also recommend gaiters. The tow path is flat but composed of fine gravel. In November you'll also have plenty of leaves and other tree debrise. A good pair of gaiters will keep a lot of the trash out of your shoes.

Jenn mentioned no drop bags. There are lots of places for crew support on the course. I was able to get three drop bags on the course. I did have a pair of shoes waiting for me at mile 15 as I came off of the AT, but I opted not to change shoes. I did however take advantage of dropping some clothes at that point. Later around mile 38, I picked up some arm warmers and a flash light from my third drop bag.

I tend to forget people have husbands and wives and such that go along with them haha....Im always solo but was great meeting you afterwards!!
2013-07-25 4:12 PM
in reply to: Jungle Jenn

User image

Maryland

Originally posted by runamarathon

I tend to forget people have husbands and wives and such that go along with them haha....Im always solo but was great meeting you afterwards!!

Crew support? You never know what might happen at the Double Iron. As you firm up you plans send me a pm. We'll see what we can do. :-)
2013-07-25 4:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
I've never been fortunate to have crew or support Amy who is also doing the Double has her boyfriend coming and Tammy who is Tnickerson on here she and her husband are suppose to come help us. It start Oct 11 on a friday... would love to have your help! We are allowed people to bike with us at night also.

Edited by Jungle Jenn 2013-07-25 4:44 PM

2013-08-04 8:53 PM
in reply to: Jungle Jenn

User image

Duluth, Minnesota
Thanks for the thoughts. I know the towpath well (I live in DC)...so it's just hard to decide what I want to have on those first 15 miles given the change in terrain.

Again, thanks for the ideas! I think I will have a "crew"...but still hope not to change shoes. I'd like to find something that will just be comfy throughout.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » JFK Shoe Suggestions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

JFK 50

Started by cordova78
Views: 3500 Posts: 20

2012-11-17 2:43 PM BigDH

Trail running shoe suggestions

Started by GmrGirl
Views: 5163 Posts: 21

2012-01-12 2:30 AM Puppetmaster

West Coast Suggestions

Started by bctri21
Views: 1397 Posts: 5

2012-01-11 8:47 PM Jungle Jenn

JFK Entry?

Started by g_shotts
Views: 1479 Posts: 3

2011-07-13 1:54 AM carrie1

Road Shoes VS Trail Shoes

Started by tribullbutter
Views: 3568 Posts: 15

2010-03-03 3:36 PM njk123
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you

date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries
date : March 23, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.

date : May 30, 2005
author : Ontherun
Taking care of your equipment is very important, especially on a limited budget. The following are a few reminders of how to get your equipment to last as long as possible.
date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.

date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.
date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
2004 Product reviews for stability shoes for neutral foot types

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.