Australian Triathlon Forum Victoria » Absolute Beginner Rss Feed  
Moderators: kaqphin, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-24 5:20 PM

Subject: Absolute Beginner
Hello everyone ... looking forward to reading your stories and interacting with you.

Brief :

A 47 year old male, 6ft 1in, ex-rugby player body ... damaged knees, weight over 100 kilos at this moment ... moved to Oz / Aus 2011 and likes the look of this crazy sport of Triathlons and IM's and wants to do that into his disgraceful old age ...

Just joined Nunawading Tri club ... haven't yet paid my sub or met anyone yet but will after next pay day next week ...

As I am new to Oz I don't have a bike so looking to get one ...

First question:

Shall I get a cheap second hand road bike first or just go for it and get a cheap second hand tri bike ?

Second:

Can I get a bike for under $1000 ? Preferably around $500 or $600 ??

That's it for now ... don't want to be greedy as I have only just joined this forum ...

Oh yes ... what bike frame size will I need ? 58cm to 60cm XL ???

Thanks.

Edited by LarsA 2013-07-24 5:21 PM

2013-08-04 7:43 PM
in reply to: LarsA

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Absolute Beginner

Originally posted by LarsA Hello everyone ... looking forward to reading your stories and interacting with you. Brief : A 47 year old male, 6ft 1in, ex-rugby player body ... damaged knees, weight over 100 kilos at this moment ... moved to Oz / Aus 2011 and likes the look of this crazy sport of Triathlons and IM's and wants to do that into his disgraceful old age ... Just joined Nunawading Tri club ... haven't yet paid my sub or met anyone yet but will after next pay day next week ... As I am new to Oz I don't have a bike so looking to get one ... First question: Shall I get a cheap second hand road bike first or just go for it and get a cheap second hand tri bike ? Second: Can I get a bike for under $1000 ? Preferably around $500 or $600 ?? That's it for now ... don't want to be greedy as I have only just joined this forum ... Oh yes ... what bike frame size will I need ? 58cm to 60cm XL ??? Thanks.

Hi and welcome!

I got a good friend trains out of Nunawading - Linda Hobday so look out for her.  We are both signed up for HIM Challenge Phuket so will be training together a lot.

Ask at your tri club re - bikes second hand etc.

Also check out www.bikeexchange.com.au

and of course Ebay.

During the summer months I go to an OWS squad down at Black Rock - Wednesday nights 6.30 from december to end March.  Ask me closer to the time and try and come down.  Failing that i also do a more casual swim Sat 4pm at Frankston beach during summer.

for bike size - go and get fitted - you don't have to buy just get a fit.  That way you can decide your frame size.  As you know Melbourne is a bit bike crazy. 

My local bike shop is a Trek Dealer not much in the bargain side going on there!

Anyway I'm rambling - welcome, hit me up with any other Melbourne specific questions.

New Thread
Australian Triathlon Forum Victoria » Absolute Beginner Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : June 27, 2011
author : Trmlo
comments : 10
At 66 years old, I completed my first sprint triathlon!
date : May 19, 2011
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : February 3, 2011
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : April 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Practice these three workouts each week for 4 weeks. Just complete the workouts and notice the changes to your stroke.

date : January 10, 2005
author : Ken
comments : 7
Don't worry, you can't do anything that hasn't been done before. Read this article for some humorous insights of one triathlete's introduction to the sport.
date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 0
History of the triathlon and distances.

date : September 5, 2004
author : scvb13
comments : 2
I am new to triathlon...again. I would like to share my story to hopefully inspire some to try the sport of triathlon.