General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Issue with chain skipping on cassette Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-28 10:08 PM

User image

Regular
Alameda, CA
Subject: Issue with chain skipping on cassette
I have a bit of a specific issue I was hoping maybe someone else had experienced.

i got a new rear wheel and wanted to get a new cassette so I wouldn't have to swap back and forth between training and race wheels. The new cassette is a 12-27 (approx: 200 miles ridden). My old cassette is a 11-25 (approx: 2500-3000 miles ridden).

I did a bike tune-up, purchased the new cassette, and got a new chain with the 12-27 setup. After Vineman I put my training wheel back on, attached the 11-25 cassette and embarked on my first ride. It all seemed fine, but when I was in the highest two gears (24 and 27 counts) the chain would skip when I was going up hills, specifically when I had more torque and load than at other climbs. If I went as easy as possible it would tend to not skip.

It would stay in the same gear, but skip. It was very irritating. I couldn't get this to occur in my normal medium gears. Also I wasn't in the big ring on the front, I was in the granny gear.

reading online people said that a new chain and old cassette might cause something like this. Eventhough I have a lot of miles on the 11-25 cassette, I don't see any shark fins going on. it looks pretty much like the new 12-27 cassette. I also heard it might have to do with the rear derailleur being bent, but it looks to be very straight as well.

Any ideas here? Should I get a new 11-25 cassette and assume that will fix it. I don't mind going that route, but if it might be a really minor adjustment I could do, I would prefer to do that obviously.

Any advice would be great!

2013-07-28 10:17 PM
in reply to: jaegee

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Issue with chain skipping on cassette
Have you worked with the barrel adjustment on the rear derailleur when you switch?  That should be an easy adjustment.
2013-07-28 10:38 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
Alameda, CA
Thanks I just checked Sheldon Brown's site and didn't quite understand the instructions. Do you have some basic instructions on making the adjustment? It also doesn't say on his site that it causes chain skips, is this something that would fix that?
2013-07-28 10:42 PM

User image

Pro
Sure.....I take it you don't have a stand, so get someone to help you.  Get the rear wheel off the ground, turn the pedals while the helper shifts and you turn the barrel adjustment 1/4 turn at a time......you'll get a feel for it pretty quick and see which way you need to go to fix the skipping.  Don't fear it.....just make small adjustments at a time.  You'll get it.
2013-07-28 10:45 PM

2013-07-28 11:04 PM
in reply to: DM67

User image

Regular
Alameda, CA
Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. I'll give it a go in the morning.

2013-07-28 11:46 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Question...if you put your new cassette on (with the new wheel) does it work properly ?

if so, then look at the 2 wheels...is the cassette further out than the other one ?
that would mean your derailleur is out of line (as the others said).

An easy way I do it, is ...look from behind the bike, sight down the chain and lower idler wheel on the derailleur...then turn the adjustment barrel to make the idler wheel center with the gear on the cassette.

You will have to look at it from various gears (high / low).

this will mean an adjustment whenever you switch wheels (assuming the above is true).
2013-07-29 6:56 AM

User image

Originally posted by jaegee

Iwhen I was in the highest two gears (24 and 27 counts) the chain would skip when I was going up hills, specifically when I had more torque and load than at other climbs. If I went as easy as possible it would tend to not skip.

Of course, measure your chain. If it's over about .75" you'll need to change that out.

Now, for the skipping. Try this

Put your bike up on something so the rear wheel spins freely.
Shift up to your big ring (front) and the smallest gear (rear)
Look and see if the chain is actually on the smallest gear.

Now shift to the small ring (front) and the biggest gear (rear)
Look and see if the chain is actually on the biggest gear.

Now switch rear wheels and do the same thing.

If you are having issues with full deflection on the rear, one of the first things I would check to see is if one of your cassettes has the spacer on the inside of the largest cog and the other set of gears does not have the spacer.

That drove me nuts for quite a while until I figured out that spacer needs to either be there for all of them or not be there for all of them.

2013-07-29 7:32 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
One which has been missed: you may or may not need a spacer on the free hub body. It doesn't matter if your one wheel has it or not. Each hub is slightly different. Your new cassette should have had one included.
2013-07-29 8:20 AM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
x2 on the spacer... I got a set of Hed 3 wheels and wanted the identical cassette as my training wheel and found out the training wheel did not have a spacer, but the LBS went ahead and put one on the Hed... ended up having it removed when I got a tune up so no problems now!
2013-07-29 1:05 PM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
You said you purchased a new chain as well as a new cassette, correct?

If this is the case, and the new chain only skips on the old 11-25 cassette, and it does NOT skip on the new 12-27, then the problem is that your old cassette is simply worn out. It may have worked fine with your old chain because they wore together, but now with a new chain the tolerances are a bit off so it will skip under load.

This is a pretty common thing. Just time to stop using the old cassette.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Issue with chain skipping on cassette Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chain skipping to higher gear on trainer

Started by JCZ
Views: 1297 Posts: 6

2013-04-21 1:42 AM JCZ

What causes chain skip? (Bicycle Maintenance)

Started by odpaul7
Views: 1914 Posts: 20

2013-04-06 2:20 PM tkos

cassette and chain question

Started by kesslergk
Views: 703 Posts: 5

2009-06-30 10:10 AM Tyrell

Chain and cassette worn out at 1500 miles?

Started by Shoeless
Views: 2032 Posts: 16

2009-06-24 11:39 AM wgraves7582

new cassette - must get new chain?

Started by tpetersen02
Views: 929 Posts: 4

2006-06-27 3:52 PM mermer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 2, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 5
Dirty bike chain? Have you ever thought about cleaning it? We cover the basics of how to clean your bike chain and the use of different cleaners, degreasers and lubricants.

date : November 5, 2008
comments : 0
Is gear overlap from the big to small ring a consideration? Will the ratio increment of the compact setup be very beneficial to my riding?
date : November 5, 2008
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?

date : October 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
People who range from casual exercisers to competitive athletes are eating at the wrong times, choosing the wrong balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat, and drinking too little fluids.
date : June 16, 2008
author : AMSSM
What are all these new funny-shaped saddles all about? Are they more comfortable than older designs? Will they keep me healthier so I can train on my bike longer? Should I change my saddle?

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : January 16, 2007
author : AMSSM
I suspect your nutrition and training program may have more to do with your symptoms than your Clydesdale classification.

date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.