General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS in Lexington and/or Boston area Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-29 11:15 AM

User image

Cedar Park
Subject: OWS in Lexington and/or Boston area
I know this is topic has probably been covered, but I can not find a thread.

Any way.......I am moving to Lexington this month and wanted to do some OWS while is it still warm outside. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2013-07-29 11:35 AM
in reply to: Sully_Joe

User image

Beantown
Subject: RE: OWS in Lexington and/or Boston area
There is no better place to swim than Walden Pond.
From the beach straight across and back is 1 mile, and many variations in between.

here is a cool map:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Zamd-zFCSlo/T_sa18heAcI/AAAAAAAACBM/C-Yas...
Lots of other swimmers early mornings -
$5 per day or season pass is $35 (i think)

Closer to Boston is Upper Mystic Lake.
http://www.yelp.com/map/mystic-lakes-sandy-beach-winchester-2
2013-07-30 10:27 AM
in reply to: Sully_Joe

User image

Regular
Maynard, MA
Welcome to the area. Walden Pond is the best place around. The pond does not have any outlet so the water stays pretty warm and should be warm the for the next few months. Getting in on the weekend can be tricky because the place fills up quick. But as long as you go in the early AM or very late afternoon you should not have trouble finding a parking spot.
2013-07-31 2:30 PM
in reply to: orangeace

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Walden season parking pass is, indeed, $35.  Generally can get parking weekdays except between 0845 and 1230-1330 or so on hot, sunny days (they close when they hit capacity and will post a re-opening time).  Otherwise, it's usually open.  I believe that if you have a pass, you can park in the lot for the gift shop at 0700 or so, while the parking lots proper don't open until 0800...  Others might know the actual/accurate times for the morning routine...

The only hazard is all the other swimmers!  It's like a swimming super highway most afternoons/evenings (not sure about the early mornings, as I likes me my snoozin', but assume so).

Great place to swim.  Enjoy!

Matt

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS in Lexington and/or Boston area Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Triathlon stores in Boston area?

Started by nehptune
Views: 9987 Posts: 8

2010-09-14 9:22 PM tricop1

good bike routes in/around Boston area?

Started by nehptune
Views: 5084 Posts: 9

2009-05-01 6:31 PM nehptune

tri Clubs in Boston area

Started by piperfl
Views: 1525 Posts: 10

2007-11-23 4:49 PM redbullgt337

OWS in Boston Area

Started by kkalt01
Views: 1066 Posts: 12

2007-08-24 6:45 PM redbullgt337

Boston area doctors?

Started by bjg26pt2
Views: 1090 Posts: 5

2006-12-08 5:43 PM sue7013
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?

date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Some are getting a little OWS practice in, others are strategizing, the rest are just plain scared.