Springfield, Illinois
United States
Tri Harder Promotions
Total Time = 3h 08m 17s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Not much of a routine when you are staying in a hotel. Had a bagel about 2 hours before race time and 1/2 bag of Sports beans 15 minutes before my wave.
Event warmup:

No warm up, just waited for my wave to start.
Swim
  • 43m 34s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was not wetsuit legal because of the water temp. It was very windy and cold waiting for the race to start. Getting in the water was actually fabulous because it was much warmer in the water than waiting on shore. I got off to a good start, was sighting well and moving along until bam, I got punched in the left eye by someone who was either very poor at sighting, or just decided to ignore the instructions to keep the buoys on your left! It took a second to figure out what happened and put my goggles back on. After a short distance, I had to stop again because my goggles were leaking like crazy. I dumped the water out, readjusted the strap which had fallen down to my neck, and took off again. The rest of the swim was rather uneventful. My left shoulder is still hurting some, which slowed me down just a bit I think.
What would you do differently?:

Not get punched in the face?
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

There were 3 races going on at once - a Sprint, Oly, and Half. There was only one transition area, but the racks were divided. It was a bit crowded with people coming and going at different times. I still think this was a good transition.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 6s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 18.07 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike was flat! However, the thing I noticed about flat Illinois roads is that there is nothing to block the wind, which was very strong at times. I passed a bunch of people, but some of them were in the Sprint. It was hard to keep track of who was doing what. The bike numbers were different colors, but when you are approaching somebody from the back, it is hard to see what color their number is. All in all, this was a great bike ride for me!
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

This was a good transition. Had to shift the bike next to mine over to where it belonged before I could rack my bike.

Nothing.
Run
  • 59m 59s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good on this run. I have not done many 10k races, but have always wanted to get under an hour. I know it is slow, but that is what I have been hoping for. When I finished, I checked my time and this run was 59:59!! That is under an hour (just barely) but I will gladly take it!!
Post race
Warm down:

Had some food (the pizza was great) and waited for the awards ceremony. I got my award from Abe Lincoln!

Event comments:

This was a fantastic race. It was very well organized, Lots of volunteers all along the course. If I were ever in the area again, I would definitely do this race again!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:34 | 1640 yards | 02m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Loop parallel to shore, under a cool arch bridge.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:22:06 | 24.8 miles | 18.07 mile/hr
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back on open roads. Some of the roads were pretty rough.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:59:59 | 06.2 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Course: This run had 2 separate out and backs on different roads. The roads were open, but I only saw a couple cars the entire time. The road were mostly flat with a couple of easy rollers. There was shade a good part of the way.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-30 10:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Subject: Iron Abe Triathlon

2013-07-30 12:00 PM
in reply to: #4816749

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Iron Abe Triathlon

Sounds like a fun race Karen, and you did great!!  Too luck on the swim with the punch to the head, but otherwise you had an awesome race! 

Congrats on the award!!  Great picture too!

2013-07-30 8:57 PM
in reply to: #4816749

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: RE: Iron Abe Triathlon
_Great Pic! Congrats on the podium finish and an awesome run Karen.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Abe Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Iron Abe Triathlon

Started by rsunley
Views: 729 Posts: 1

2013-07-29 8:55 AM rsunley

Iron Abe Triathlon

Started by Wog
Views: 848 Posts: 1

2012-08-07 10:03 PM Wog

Iron Abe Triathlon

Started by kevmk81
Views: 1556 Posts: 4

2011-08-01 12:18 PM goobergirl98

Iron Abe Triathlon

Started by szbilicki
Views: 1677 Posts: 4

2007-08-01 7:29 AM TriDDS

Iron Abe Triathlon

Started by goobergirl98
Views: 1201 Posts: 2

2007-07-30 7:17 PM travisvb24
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : November 16, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
Learn more about protein intake, iron, post exercise food, recovering with carbs and protein, rest days, fluids and sodium.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : May 30, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on weightloss, 'Diets' for athletes, eating before a long ride or run, the right sugars for training and iron supplements.
date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
Although you can receive all of your vitamins and minerals through foods eaten in the diet, nutritional products used for training may not allow you to meet recommendations on a daily basis.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.