General Discussion Race Reports! » Music City Triathlon - Intermediate Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Music City Triathlon - Intermediate Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Nashville, Tennessee
United States
Team Magic, Inc.
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 48m 29s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena 40-99
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

We had to get up before the buttcrack of dawn to drive 85 miles to the race. Up at 3 am, walk dogs, feed dogs and cats,then walk dogs again. I had loaded the car the night before so we grabbed the cooler and off we went. Nothing really special to get ready. I cut my left leg on the chain rings of my bike while looking for my rack in transition (yes I'm just that graceful!) So I spent a minute at the first aid tent getting it tended to.
Event warmup:

Waiting in line forever for the swim start. It was a sprint and and Oly distance so there were LOTS of athletes to get in the water. First swimmer went in at 7:30. I didn't hit the water till almost 8:30.
Swim
  • 45m 58s
  • 1500 meters
  • 03m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was proud of this swim. I swam freestyle the whole way and never freaked out once. There was some debris in the river and I just let it bounce off me and kept on swimming. I never once felt tired or out of breath or anything other than relaxed. It wasn't the fastest I've ever swam this distance but it was my best swim in open water to date.
What would you do differently?:

I didn't account for how strong the current was, so I drifted quite a bit going across the current the first turn. I also need to sight more than every 100 strokes. On the last upstream portion I could have hugged the bank a bit more to stay out of the main channel. I made myself work harder than I had to. But very happy overall
Transition 1
  • 04m 59s
Comments:

The run to T1 was LONG and all uphill.

Not much. It was just a long way to transition. I should have hailed a cab!!
Bike
  • 1h 36m 3s
  • 26.58 miles
  • 16.51 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was 2 loops of Ellington Parkway, a 4 lane thruway to downtown Nashville. It was closed for the race. I took my time to find my groove on the first loop. The out part was hilly but the back part you could FLY and I did! I also did something I've never done before in a triathlon. I cussed another cyclist. This dude passed me but cut back in front of me nearly clipping my front tire at 27 mph. I dropped back to avoid an overtaken penalty, then grabbed a bigger gear and dropped that sucker like a bad habit. The bike is my strength and I stayed aero pretty much the whole way, except for the short sharp turns at the downtown part.

NOT do the flying squirrel dismount barefooted on to hot pavement. My rack spot was WAY in the back fo transition and I had to hoof it a long way on that blazing blacktop! I could have pushed my pace a bit more as well, but I was trying to save something for the run. That plan didn't work out too well.
Transition 2
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

My T2 is always a bit slow, because I can't run without socks and I don't like speed laces so I have to sit down, put on socks and tie my shoes.

Not much.
Run
  • 1h 18m 10s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 12m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Having lived in Nashville prior to moving back to my hometown I knew this was gonna be a hilly run. I just never felt like I could get a groove going or get my heartrate up to what I wanted, so I just ambled along, thanking every volunteer and police officer I passed by. I LOVE the downtown vibe of the live music and tourists taking in the sites, so it was fun.

Train hills more. IM Louisville has a dead flat run course so I haven't gone out of my way to train for running hills this season.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed my gear, hooked up with my partner and #1 IronSherpa. Then we met up with some friends who also raced, some who didn't and went for Mexican food at our favorite place on 4th Ave South!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This race was just a litmus test of my confidence in open water for a considerable distance. I wasn't pushing myself, just good steady pacing and enjoying racing instead of just training all the time

Event comments:

On a 26 mile course I would like to see at least one water station on the bike portion. I had a good time, caught up with some friends we haven't seen in a while, and our new friends,the gentleman is racing Louisville with me and his wife is just a jewel. It was FUN!!!! And that's the whole point of our crazy love of triathlon, right??

Last updated: 2013-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:58 | 1500 meters | 03m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Rectangle. Swim upstream, cut across current, swim downstream,cut across current, then upstream to the finish.
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:36:03 | 26.58 miles | 16.51 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: two loop out and back
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:18:10 | 06.2 miles | 12m 38s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Two loop course thru downtown Nashville, the hilly part of downtown Nashville
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-30 9:22 PM

User image

Middle Tennessee
Subject: Music City Triathlon - Intermediate Course

2013-07-31 7:36 AM
in reply to: #4817349

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: Music City Triathlon - Intermediate Course
Way to go.  Sounded like you had a really good race.  Congratulations!
2013-07-31 7:59 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Nice race there, Shad... love how you passed the douchebag who almost cut you off on the bike, too bad you couldn't have pissed and REALLY left him a nice souvenir!  Excellent relaxed swim, good bike, and not bad on the run either, especially for running hills, they amp my HR up big time... all in all looks like a great race and puts your right on track for your Ironman!!!!
2013-07-31 12:31 PM
in reply to: #4817349

User image

Regular
Ya just keep going--nice job! Was just ANOTHER training session for you!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Music City Triathlon - Intermediate Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Music City Triathlon - Intermediate Course

Started by scubavol
Views: 1017 Posts: 2

2013-09-04 11:06 AM Chris.1333

Started by Chris.1333
Views: 869 Posts: 1

2013-07-29 8:42 AM Chris.1333

Started by crusty
Views: 1040 Posts: 2

2013-07-29 6:16 PM JoelO

Music City Triathlon Intermediate Distance

Started by dbrawders
Views: 1327 Posts: 1

2010-07-28 11:03 PM dbrawders

Music City Triathlon Intermediate Distance

Started by pole_dancer
Views: 1844 Posts: 4

2009-07-30 10:39 AM Artemis
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : February 12, 2008
comments : 1
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 14 hours toward the end of the 10 weeks.
date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?

date : January 9, 2008
comments : 1
This plan is an advanced plan in terms of volume and intensity and appropriate for someone who is looking to go under 5:00 and as fast as 4:30. There isn’t a lot of fluff in the plan.
date : November 20, 2007
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.

date : March 9, 2007
Nutrition and pacing strategies for the beginner and intermediate sprint racers
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.