General Discussion Triathlon Talk » wetsuit or not ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-31 8:05 PM

New user

New York
Subject: wetsuit or not ?
I'm doing a sprint tri this weekend with a short 500m swim, and am curious if it pays to wear a wetsuit or not. How much faster does one swim with a wetsuit vs. the time it takes to take it off in T1 ?

2013-07-31 8:19 PM
in reply to: fredwtri

User image

Subject: RE: wetsuit or not ?
Seems like the worse swimmer you are, the more benefit you get out of the wetsuit. Gives you better body position & a little confidence. I've heard folks say about 10 sec/100 meters is possible. If you already have good body position and an efficient stroke, you won't go much faster. If I start stripping on the run up to transition, it takes me about 10 seconds to get the suit off, so not a lot of difference on the other side of the equation.

I would do whatever makes you feel faster.
2013-07-31 9:24 PM
in reply to: fredwtri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
If it is a wetsuit legal swim, I wear mine regardless of the distance. The time to take it off with a little practice should be < 15 seconds considering you should have it all the way down past your waist by the time you reach your bike in T-1. If it takes you longer, practice.

There are a couple of reasons why I always wear it.

#1 - Jumped in the water for a quick warmup then stood on the beach waiting for the race to start. At 60 degrees air temp for >10 minutes, being wet, I was way too cold before the start of the race, using energy I didn't need to just to stay warm. A wetsuit would have been appreciated just for the waiting aspect.
#2 - Body position, your hips and legs float giving you less drag. Less drag = faster
#3 - washing machine effect at the beginning, it is nice to know you will float in the wetsuit, peace of mind to deal with the 1-2 minutes of chaos.
#4 - faster, smoother = less effort spent early in the race.
#5 - protective layer in case the alligators bite !!! ok, that is just a joke.
2013-08-01 8:10 AM
in reply to: Mc Q

User image

As a mediocre swimmer, if I can wear it, it is usually worth it. I think swim streamline position is key reason - especially keeping legs horizontal. I am a sinker. I didn't wear wetsuit for a 600 yd swim a week ago, and felt OK - but got caught going wide in a lot of current. My (navigational) fault, which made my swim a lot longer than 600. I didn't wear it because water was warm - and nobody else was wearing one (didn't want to be the outlier)! I had hoped for a first "non wetsuit" successful swim, but that will have to wait till next time. For me, a good (tight) trisuit fit is essential for a non wetsuit swim; I am always amazed by how good swimmers can be so fast in drag suits in the pool.
2013-08-01 8:14 AM
in reply to: Mc Q

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Mc Q

• Or piranhas, snapping turtles, muskellunges, etc. etc.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » wetsuit or not ? Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

to wetsuit or not to wetsuit!!

Started by mr.rogersisinthehood
    Views: 1260 Posts: 13

2011-06-05 6:48 PM axteraa

Wetsuit or not Not Wetsuit that is the ?

Started by mleibowi
    Views: 832 Posts: 3

2009-07-19 12:21 PM KzooJason

to Wetsuit or not to Wetsuit that is the question

Started by SAMBoddy69
    Views: 1247 Posts: 10

2009-04-21 5:26 PM SAMBoddy69

IMAZ - to wetsuit or not

Started by suffer78
    Views: 793 Posts: 6

2005-07-09 7:39 AM suffer78

wetsuit or not?

Started by cangirl
    Views: 822 Posts: 7

2004-06-23 4:29 PM langell
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : September 24, 2012
    comments : 1
    Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : February 4, 2010
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    comments : 0
    Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.
    date : February 23, 2009
    author : mrakes1
    I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : November 17, 2008
    author : Ontherun
    In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.
    date : September 3, 2008
    author : Ontherun
    The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.

date : August 20, 2008
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?
    date : July 7, 2008
    author : Ron
    This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.

date : September 3, 2005
    author : joeinco
    comments : 6
    As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.