General Discussion Race Reports! » 2006 USMS One- and Two-Mile Open Water Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2006 USMS One- and Two-Mile Open Water - Swim

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Canandaigua, New York
United States
Canandaigua Masters Swimming
Precipitation
Total Time = 32m 15s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 6:15, normal breakfast of cereal, drive half hour to the race.
Event warmup:

This was my third event of the year, and its rained at each one. But when swimming, who cares if its raining, you're wet anyway.

THunder, however, does matter. And there was enough thunder in Canandaigua this morning that the race start was delayed from 8:30 until about 9:45 and the races were shorted by half. Having arrived at about 7:45, that meant standing around in the rain for 2 hours.

This time did allow me the pleasure of meeting both Dexter and Rstocks3. It was fun to chat with and get to know each of them. Both are exceptional swimmers. I learned that Bob swam the mile in college, so this race was his prior competitive event.

Once we were given the ok to get into the water, we could warm up a bit. I swam from the shore out a bit beyond the buoy line and back. It was better than nothing. They called everyone back to shore, and once out of the water, I began shivering. We had to sing the Star Spangled Banners, as well as go through several announcement. Standing there shivering while all this was going on wasn't exactly my ideal event warm up. But such as it was.
Swim
  • 32m 15s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Once we were finally able to start, the "2 mile race", now shortened to 1 mile, waded out a few yards from shore. The whistle blew, and off we all went.

This race reminded me of last year's Pittsford Tri wherein I blew up about 100 yards in. Going out towards the 1/4 mile turnaround, I was having a very hard time getting my HR and breathing in check. I normally breath every third stroke, but I was forced to breath every other stroke. I also swam some breast stroke, which I don't normally do or do well.

One observation that I made is that I use the Sun quite a bit to help me navigate in OW. With no sun shinning today, I was much wilder in my swim line. I termed it "Army Swimming". Left, Right, Left, Right. I'm really surprised at how hard of a time that I had swimming straight. Its rarely been a problem for me before. But it was today.

I finally made it out to the turnaround buoy and came back in. I still having a very hard time maintaining my normal 3-stroke breathing. It was much more 2 stroke.

Back at the start, it was time to turn around and go out and back again. It was very shallow and it was nice to wade/push off the bottom to help control my breathing some.

The second lap was better than the first. I did settle down some. I was able to do my normal 3stroke breathing for most of it. But I still was struggling. I wanted to pick up my tempo and make some time, particularly in the last 1/4, coming home. But I was tired and laboring and it just wasnt happening today. I did pass a couple of people near the end, but it was a dissappointing effort for me.
What would you do differently?:

There were a lot of things that I could have done pre-race that would have likely helped things. Yesterday, we had the company picnic in the afternoon in which I had more than one beer and was standing for most of it. Last night, we had a golf scotch where I again had more than one beer and walked the course. We also didnt get home until about 10:30 and I still had to pack up for tomorrow, including getting ready to go bike riding with Dexter. I didnt get into bed until 11:30. Up at 6:15, to go stand around for a couple hours, pre-race, and you don't have a recipe for great race performance.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was a "C" race for me and it showed in my performance. I'm dissappointed with my results, but I'm happy with the experience. Despite failing to meet my 28 minute expectations, it was good to experience a race of this distance. It was also interesting to learn about my navigation problems without the help of the sun. It was also very good practice, while in race conditions, trying to get my breath under control. I'm sure that I will need that experience later in my triathlon life.

I was pretty well spent after the mile. I would have really struggled to complete a 25 mile bike and 10K run afterwards. I've got a lot of work to do before September 10th.

Event comments:

The race organizers, all volunteers, made the most of a tough situation. The weather played havoc with the timing and the organizers did a pretty good job getting things in. They performed well under difficult circumstances.

Last updated: 2006-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:15 | 1760 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: none
Course: Out and back twice, 1/4 mile in each direction. 1 mile total
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-22 4:22 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: 2006 USMS One- and Two-Mile Open Water

2006-07-22 5:27 PM
in reply to: #490073

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: 2006 USMS One- and Two-Mile Open Water
Sorry it wasn't the greatest experience, but at least you have another race under your belt! And, another bright side is - lightning didn't strike you down in the middle of the race!
See you soon!
-Kameron
2006-07-22 7:46 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua

Standing around didn't help at all.  Missing the ride sucked.  We'll get some training in after Cayuga.  You'll be ready for September!!!!!!!!!!

Couple twinkies wouldn't hurt.  I'll keep you posted.

Edited by dexter 2006-07-22 7:47 PM
2006-07-22 8:07 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Still a good training session. If you're learning it's worth it and it's all good experience.
Shame about the ride though - I was hoping you would give me detail of all the hills etc on the course!!!!!!!

YOU WILL BE FINE BY SEPTEMBER. You won't be going gung-ho in the swim and therefore losing your breath cos you know the delights that will follow.

A horrid morning and you still went out and did it so well done

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2006 USMS One- and Two-Mile Open Water Rss Feed