5430 Sports
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 53m 10s
Overall Rank = 615/1422
Age Group = M45-50
Age Group Rank = 44/89
Pre-race routine:

Kirk picked me up at house at 4:15am, and parking lot was pretty full. One bowl oatmeal, two RedBull, four Tylenol, and I'm ready to roll. Wandered around race site aimlessly until wave 9 departed.

Enjoyed the hot air balloons, and amazing sky divers to start. Pretty impressive, really.
Event warmup:

Wee stretching, and swimming aimlessly. Conked heads with someone else in the water.
Swim
  • 31m 35s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a pretty pleasant little swim. It was really spread out, so there wasn't so much knocking about. Knowing that the Athenas and Clydesdaddys were in the wave behind me kept me motoring. Those cats could crush me like a bug.
What would you do differently?:

I need to put in more training time if I'm going to progress back to Ironman level.
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Forgot my silly number, but didn't need it until the run, really. I was a bit confused, and it seemed less complicated than I remember in the past. Nice to keep this under 2 minutes, anyway.

Stopping for a pizza would have been nice.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 55s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.35 mile/hr
Comments:

The hill for the climb was unbelievably steep. Should have brought pitons and a rope. Several folks were walking their bikes up the thing, and I wasn't moving much faster than they were.

On the way down there was a 35mph speed limit. I made it past the first sign, reading 33mph, but at the police officers with radar guns at the bottom, I think my cateye read 36mph. So, if I'm DQ'd for this infraction, it will be something of a badge of honor to say that I completed the race, but was disqualified for going too fast. Anyway, I was certainly trying to stay under the limit, and it was close, so we'll see....

This just in: I have official times. So I guess they decided that the old goat wasn't going to fast. I feel like a rebel....

I would have checked the cateye earlier, making sure that I was under the speed limit coming down the hill. I would have ridden the rest of the course much faster, and I should have brought my own energy drink on the bike rather than just my water.
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Had a bit of trouble finding my parking space, and again changed into running gear while a bit confused. Having a background with a solid education, I managed to figure it all out, but I almost decided to run with a helmet on. Still, it was under 2 minutes, which is fine.

I drank some of the warm gatorade that they gave me, and it came back to haunt me. I would skip that next time around.
Run
  • 52m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Grabbed a water at mile 2 and dumped it on my head. It had been kept just above freezing, and I nearly leapt out of my skin. This was now far enough in the race that I could feel like a monster passing the occasional little old ladies (60's and even 70's written on their calves). In reality, these triathletes amaze me and I greatly admire them.

The Gatorade from the bike decided to come back as heartburn, and when I wouldn't let it loose in that direction, it tried to head out the other way and my stomach started to blow up. This course sure didn't lend itself to taking relief, so I pounded the last two miles in some pain, keeping all potential exits for the Gatorade tightly closed. Not a fast run, but decent enough after swimming and biking, I suppose.

Skip the Gatorade. Could have gone faster, but probably wouldn't have been the best idea.
Post race
Warm down:

Volunteers tossed ice-cold "Finishers" towels (interestingly sponsored by some sort of brain clinic) on us. Then off to the happy food line for a chicken burrito, salad, banana, watermelon, and Diet Pepsi.

After munching, watched the Pro Men and Women come in on their bikes and run, which was simply amazing. What a great way to finish a triathlon; watching people who really know what they're doing simply fly by.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A number of things:

1) I haven't trained aggressively leading up to this.
2) Police officers with radar guns.
3) One big, hairy, nasty hill.
4) I'm old.

Event comments:

This really has to be one of the greatest Triathlons in the country. From hot-air balloons and sky-divers, to an amazing course with 1600 competitors cruising through safely in waves, to the exciting conclusion featuring some of the top professionals in the sport... what's not to love? Barry's running an event here that really should set the standard by which these things are measured. It was nothing short of amazing.

Last updated: 2005-12-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:35 | 1500 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/89
Overall: 673/1422
Performance: Good
Suit: Ironmonkey Full
Course: Sighting was easy out; just head for blinding sun. After a left turn, vision sort of returned, and large orange buoys were easy to see.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:43
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:25:55 | 24.85 miles | 17.35 mile/hr
Overall: 742/1422
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Out of Boulder Reservoir and up a monster 15 degree hill for .6 miles. Then fast down through a pretty canyon, and back around to the Reservoir.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:52:15 | 06.21 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Overall: 571/1422
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back on a hot dam road (or is that a dam hot road?).It was flat, and basically graded dirt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-23 2:19 PM

User image

Denver
Subject: Boulder Peak Triathlon

2006-07-23 5:16 PM
in reply to: #490373

User image

Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: RE: Boulder Peak
Great recap of your race. CONGRATS!!!

Thanks for the tip on warm gatorade...
2006-07-23 5:20 PM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)

ha!! what a GREAT race report!! i love reading things that make me laugh, and YOU my BT friend have a fun personality. anyway, i was out there too - wasn't it fun?! GREAT JOB!!

=)

2006-07-23 8:13 PM

User image

Kodiak, Alaska
HA!! Great report... Loved the "it will be something of a badge of honor to say that I completed the race, but was disqualified for going too fast" comment... Either way--you won!!
2006-07-24 8:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Thanks for the report!!  I just love reading this things....Red bull and tylenol...I haven't tried that combination yet...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boulder Peak Triathlon Rss Feed