2013-09-03 8:24 AM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Syria

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy
Originally posted by NXS
Originally posted by Jackemy1 I am absolutely of the opinion that we not intervene. However, I do hope that the decision to intervene is done constitutionally through Congress and not unilaterally by the executive branch.
Not likely to happen.
Well, now that the president has done exactly what you thought was, "not likely," I take it there will be multiple posts coming to credit President Obama. Hmm, only Hook 'em did. Props to Hook 'em! The intervene or not to intervene is a tough call. Both sides make great points. But, the one that comes to mind for me right now (probably because I've been watching an H2 program on early 1930's Germany today) is, when DO we intervene? Was 400+ schoolkids as part of 1000+ Syrians being killed with chemical weapons enough? If not, would 2000 kids and 5000 total folks have done the trick? I understand there's been a ton of blood already shed in Syria...but isn't the argument that use of chemical weapons has to incur some sort of punishment? The prez is screwed either way. Syria is a no-win situation. Had tomahawks been fired already, it would have been decried as an overreach of his authority, a snub to Congress. Not having fired on Syria already, he's labeled weak and vacillating. Boots on the ground is a no-win period...unless some special ops force can secure loose WMDs (chem weapons).

Hey CD, how's it going. 

I'll speak up and say that I do commend the President for taking a step in the right direction.  Ultimately we'll see what happens in the long run because I think there's a pretty good chance that congress will vote no.

My personal opinion is that Obama has no desire whatsoever to get into a conflict with Syria, but he took some hawkish advice and drew a "red line" that painted himself into a corner.  When the "red line" was crossed he either looks weak by not acting or he's a war monger, lose lose.

2013-09-03 8:45 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by dmiller5
Originally posted by powerman

So, we have a topic on Syria, and you use it to take some shots on those you think are taking shots. I have someone I think you would like to meet....

But let's take your example of 2000 kids gassed. Russia does not threaten to withhold all military aid if chemical weapons are used again. France does not send their warships to the area. Britain does not plan airal strikes. Nobody in the region condemns their actions. Nobody tries to play third party and broker a peace. Nobody has any other thoughts outside the box.... and yet the U.S. is the only one that is supposed to take military action? The U.S. is the only country that has to take the heat from extremist Muslims that vow revenge? The U.S. is the only country on the planet that will lift a finger over kids getting gassed.... ya, what's wrong with that picture?

Someone crashes their bike on the side of the road, and everyone else drives by. Do you drive by too just because no one else stopped?

If it were only that simple.  There's nobody in this thread that wouldn't stop and help someone who is injured.

However, to put the "help" in the context of Syra you would kill the guy who ran them off the road and possibly his family, and when you're done doing that the family of the original kid who was injured will come to your house and kill your family.  This is a civil war between two factions of people who are sworn to destroy us and everything we stand for.
The rebels (who we would be helping) are far more radical than the current regime.

2013-09-03 8:53 AM

User image

Elite

So, we have a topic on Syria, and you use it to take some shots on those you think are taking shots. I have someone I think you would like to meet....

But let's take your example of 2000 kids gassed. Russia does not threaten to withhold all military aid if chemical weapons are used again. France does not send their warships to the area. Britain does not plan airal strikes. Nobody in the region condemns their actions. Nobody tries to play third party and broker a peace. Nobody has any other thoughts outside the box.... and yet the U.S. is the only one that is supposed to take military action? The U.S. is the only country that has to take the heat from extremist Muslims that vow revenge? The U.S. is the only country on the planet that will lift a finger over kids getting gassed.... ya, what's wrong with that picture?

Someone crashes their bike on the side of the road, and everyone else drives by. Do you drive by too just because no one else stopped?

Ya... great example. I most certainly would ignore sovereign borders and kill people to help the cyclist. Undecided

2013-09-03 9:02 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Ya... great example. I most certainly would ignore sovereign borders and kill people to help the cyclist. Undecided

fine I'll rephrase. You see someone beating a cyclist to death at the side of the road, and everyone is driving by, do you drive by too?

2013-09-03 9:22 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

fine I'll rephrase. You see someone beating a cyclist to death at the side of the road, and everyone is driving by, do you drive by too?

Still completely different scenario because we're both in the same country and there IS a police force that is responsible for their safety.  I would personally call 911, stop and tell the dude to stop beating him and the police are on their way.  I wouldn't engage in the physical altercation unless I had no other choice because I have a wife and kids that expect me to come home.  I also have no clue what the context of the altercation is, perhaps the guy on top doing the beating is the good guy and was defending himself from the crazy cyclist. 

2013-09-03 9:34 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Originally posted by tuwood

Still completely different scenario because we're both in the same country and there IS a police force that is responsible for their safety.  I would personally call 911, stop and tell the dude to stop beating him and the police are on their way.  I wouldn't engage in the physical altercation unless I had no other choice because I have a wife and kids that expect me to come home.  I also have no clue what the context of the altercation is, perhaps the guy on top doing the beating is the good guy and was defending himself from the crazy cyclist. 

Instead of creating caveats why don't you (or someone) answer the thrust of the question. When you're in a situation where you see someone being beaten to death, and no one around is helping. There are no police or by the time they got there he'd be dead. What do you do?

That is the situation we are in. Innocent people are dying. The rest of the world is too afraid to save them. We are the only ones who will do something.

2013-09-03 9:34 AM

User image

Elite

This is such a fun game... here's one for you.... If a guy in California killed a kid.... would you fly across country 2 weeks later to bomb his house?

2013-09-03 9:38 AM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Pro

Originally posted by NXS

Originally posted by Jackemy1

I am absolutely of the opinion that we not intervene.

However, I do hope that the decision to intervene is done constitutionally through Congress and not unilaterally by the executive branch.

Not likely to happen.

Well, now that the president has done exactly what you thought was, "not likely," I take it there will be multiple posts coming to credit President Obama.
Hmm, only Hook 'em did. Props to Hook 'em!

The intervene or not to intervene is a tough call. Both sides make great points. But, the one that comes to mind for me right now (probably because I've been watching an H2 program on early 1930's Germany today) is, when DO we intervene? Was 400+ schoolkids as part of 1000+ Syrians being killed with chemical weapons enough? If not, would 2000 kids and 5000 total folks have done the trick? I understand there's been a ton of blood already shed in Syria...but isn't the argument that use of chemical weapons has to incur some sort of punishment?

The prez is screwed either way. Syria is a no-win situation. Had tomahawks been fired already, it would have been decried as an overreach of his authority, a snub to Congress. Not having fired on Syria already, he's labeled weak and vacillating. Boots on the ground is a no-win period...unless some special ops force can secure loose WMDs (chem weapons).

The President has very difficult decisions to make, and no matter what gets decided people will be angry. I believe both sides would use them frequently if there was no external force stopping them. If we do strike, and I do believe we should, I would prefer we strike the chemical munitions factories and storage depots. And no way should we be arming ANYONE in this conflict.

In WWII there was significant evidence that Germany was systematically rounding up and exterminating civilians. We knew this in 1940, and by 1943 had eye witness reports of atrocities at the camps. And yet we didn't bomb the rail lines leading into those camps or the camps themselves as they were not military targets. Jewish leaders and the Union of Orthodox Rabbi's in the US and Canada begged the War Department to bomb the camps. Even if thousands were killed in the bombings it would have saved millions of lives. I guess I feel the same way about he chemical munitions in Syria, if they re not removed it gives tacit approval to the current regime to continue using them, as well as the FSA or any other radical group.
2013-09-03 9:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Bombing a chemical munitions depot is not a really good idea.

Edited by powerman 2013-09-03 9:47 AM
2013-09-03 9:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by powerman Bombing a chemical munitions depot is not a really good idea.

Are you a munitions expert?

2013-09-03 9:58 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by powerman Bombing a chemical munitions depot is not a really good idea.

No it's a terrible idea. You can't use conventional munitions, you'd need something that gets extremely hot, over 2k degrees. I gave the example I did because it's such a dilemma. Cant's see anything like that happening without a major coalition in place.

2013-09-03 10:14 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Are you a munitions expert?

It's a HORRIBLE idea to bomb chemical munition dumps....and No, I'm not a 'munitions expert' either.  But I DID sleep in a Holiday Inn Express once.   Neurotoxns, rocket fuel, high explosives and detonation usually don't play well together.  Cry

Seriously, there is a big question about what exactly we DO bomb?  Assad is allegedly moving equipment into residential areas i.e. schools, apartment complexes etc.   What is "Command and Control" if we can't target the SOB, himself?

2013-09-03 10:37 AM

User image

Pro

This is such a fun game... here's one for you.... If a guy in California killed a kid.... would you fly across country 2 weeks later to bomb his house?

Bro.....you gotta admit....you WANT to.  Hell, if time and money and prison weren't in the mix I'd be happy to fly around the country and bomb the house of every adult who killed a kid. Laughing

2013-09-03 10:50 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

New user
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Originally posted by NXS

I am absolutely of the opinion that we not intervene.

However, I do hope that the decision to intervene is done constitutionally through Congress and not unilaterally by the executive branch.

Not likely to happen.

Well, now that the president has done exactly what you thought was, "not likely," I take it there will be multiple posts coming to credit President Obama.
Hmm, only Hook 'em did. Props to Hook 'em!

The intervene or not to intervene is a tough call. Both sides make great points. But, the one that comes to mind for me right now (probably because I've been watching an H2 program on early 1930's Germany today) is, when DO we intervene? Was 400+ schoolkids as part of 1000+ Syrians being killed with chemical weapons enough? If not, would 2000 kids and 5000 total folks have done the trick? I understand there's been a ton of blood already shed in Syria...but isn't the argument that use of chemical weapons has to incur some sort of punishment?

The prez is screwed either way. Syria is a no-win situation. Had tomahawks been fired already, it would have been decried as an overreach of his authority, a snub to Congress. Not having fired on Syria already, he's labeled weak and vacillating. Boots on the ground is a no-win period...unless some special ops force can secure loose WMDs (chem weapons).

The President has very difficult decisions to make, and no matter what gets decided people will be angry. I believe both sides would use them frequently if there was no external force stopping them. If we do strike, and I do believe we should, I would prefer we strike the chemical munitions factories and storage depots. And no way should we be arming ANYONE in this conflict.

In WWII there was significant evidence that Germany was systematically rounding up and exterminating civilians. We knew this in 1940, and by 1943 had eye witness reports of atrocities at the camps. And yet we didn't bomb the rail lines leading into those camps or the camps themselves as they were not military targets. Jewish leaders and the Union of Orthodox Rabbi's in the US and Canada begged the War Department to bomb the camps. Even if thousands were killed in the bombings it would have saved millions of lives. I guess I feel the same way about he chemical munitions in Syria, if they re not removed it gives tacit approval to the current regime to continue using them, as well as the FSA or any other radical group.

Although I don't agree that we should strike, I understand your position. However, where do we draw the line? In Egypt, the Muslim Brotherhood has destroyed over 60 Christian churches, destroyed a large number of their businesses, and killed dozens. Do we intervene there too? Innocent people are persecuted everyday all over the world. Any time man is inhumane to his fellow man it causes feelings of outrage in us as individuals and as a nation, but we shouldn't always act on our feelings. As cold as it may sound, we should only act in situations that involve our national security interests. Syria is a civil war, in which neither side is our friend. When it is over, whoever is in power will not be our friend whether we intervene or not.

The chemical weapon use is a conundrum for me. So killing people by other means isn't as outrageous? Hacking people with machetes, torture, starvation, shooting, bombing, burning seem pretty bad to me as well. Perhaps if Mr. Obama and Hillary hadn't put us in a corner, we wouldn't be having these discussions today. This admin needs to speak quietly through back doors and not by leaking or making statements you never dreamed you would have to act on.
2013-09-03 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Instead of creating caveats why don't you (or someone) answer the thrust of the question. When you're in a situation where you see someone being beaten to death, and no one around is helping. There are no police or by the time they got there he'd be dead. What do you do?

That is the situation we are in. Innocent people are dying. The rest of the world is too afraid to save them. We are the only ones who will do something.

Sorry, just had to answer this question.  If the people beating each other to death both want me dead, I let them beat each other to death.  

2013-09-03 12:46 PM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Didn't want to further the quote mess but I agree with NXS on the chemical weapon part.

What is it about chemical weapons that gets everyone in an outrage? Whether you are killed with a chemical weapon or a conventional bomb you are still dead. 

Why didn't we get involved in Rwanda? How about Darfur? How about any other number of situations that involved mass casualties and civilian lives lost? 

Estimates are that Assad has killed over 100,000 of his own people, but now all of a sudden these 2,500 are so much more important that the others because they were killed with a chemical weapon. Doesn't make sense to me.

I wish I could hear a viable argument from someone who advocates getting involved on what the end result will and/or should be. This guy on the news this morning was adamant about "regime change" but only as far as getting rid of Assad. When questioned on what happens after he had absolutely nothing. 

I don't think we should get involved at all, especially not without a viable plan and end result. Also I don't make a distinction between boots on the ground and lobbing missiles from a boat, an act of war is an act of war. What if our bombs kill 25 kids? 250 kids? 2,500 kids? Is that justified to achieve the result of another country without a leader subject to the whims of whoever has the most guns? How many people/kids will die in that situation? 

2013-09-03 12:57 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Pro

Originally posted by NXS
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly
Originally posted by NXS
Originally posted by Jackemy1 I am absolutely of the opinion that we not intervene. However, I do hope that the decision to intervene is done constitutionally through Congress and not unilaterally by the executive branch.
Not likely to happen.
Well, now that the president has done exactly what you thought was, "not likely," I take it there will be multiple posts coming to credit President Obama. Hmm, only Hook 'em did. Props to Hook 'em! The intervene or not to intervene is a tough call. Both sides make great points. But, the one that comes to mind for me right now (probably because I've been watching an H2 program on early 1930's Germany today) is, when DO we intervene? Was 400+ schoolkids as part of 1000+ Syrians being killed with chemical weapons enough? If not, would 2000 kids and 5000 total folks have done the trick? I understand there's been a ton of blood already shed in Syria...but isn't the argument that use of chemical weapons has to incur some sort of punishment? The prez is screwed either way. Syria is a no-win situation. Had tomahawks been fired already, it would have been decried as an overreach of his authority, a snub to Congress. Not having fired on Syria already, he's labeled weak and vacillating. Boots on the ground is a no-win period...unless some special ops force can secure loose WMDs (chem weapons).
The President has very difficult decisions to make, and no matter what gets decided people will be angry. I believe both sides would use them frequently if there was no external force stopping them. If we do strike, and I do believe we should, I would prefer we strike the chemical munitions factories and storage depots. And no way should we be arming ANYONE in this conflict. In WWII there was significant evidence that Germany was systematically rounding up and exterminating civilians. We knew this in 1940, and by 1943 had eye witness reports of atrocities at the camps. And yet we didn't bomb the rail lines leading into those camps or the camps themselves as they were not military targets. Jewish leaders and the Union of Orthodox Rabbi's in the US and Canada begged the War Department to bomb the camps. Even if thousands were killed in the bombings it would have saved millions of lives. I guess I feel the same way about he chemical munitions in Syria, if they re not removed it gives tacit approval to the current regime to continue using them, as well as the FSA or any other radical group.
Although I don't agree that we should strike, I understand your position. However, where do we draw the line? In Egypt, the Muslim Brotherhood has destroyed over 60 Christian churches, destroyed a large number of their businesses, and killed dozens. Do we intervene there too? Innocent people are persecuted everyday all over the world. Any time man is inhumane to his fellow man it causes feelings of outrage in us as individuals and as a nation, but we shouldn't always act on our feelings. As cold as it may sound, we should only act in situations that involve our national security interests. Syria is a civil war, in which neither side is our friend. When it is over, whoever is in power will not be our friend whether we intervene or not. The chemical weapon use is a conundrum for me. So killing people by other means isn't as outrageous? Hacking people with machetes, torture, starvation, shooting, bombing, burning seem pretty bad to me as well. Perhaps if Mr. Obama and Hillary hadn't put us in a corner, we wouldn't be having these discussions today. This admin needs to speak quietly through back doors and not by leaking or making statements you never dreamed you would have to act on.

Chemical weapons are different because they are indiscriminate, and because they primarily affect civilians, who, unlike soldiers, normally do not possess protective gear. Plus the world has decided that they are special and should never be used. Dead is still dead, but that's why chemical weapons are treated differently.

I agree with you that we should act according to our national interests. We didn't intervene in Darfur, Rwanda, etc. because there was nothing there we wanted. For my example of WWII we probably would have continued to let Europe burn had we not been attacked on December 7.

If I were President I would do everything humanly possible to remove chemical weapons from both parties and then let the FSA and Syrian Army go kill each other. Dropping a few bombs or firing off a few cruise missiles to teach Assad a "lesson" is meaningless, and arming the rebels is plain idiotic. My fear is that what will instead happen is that both parties will either feel secure that the world doesn't care about chemical weapons, or, after we strike, adopt a use-it-or-lose it mentality and either kill more of each other or attack our allies in the region.

2013-09-03 1:06 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Did you read my post?  I think I described exactly what I'd do.  Here, I'll copy and paste it again for you:

I would personally call 911, stop and tell the dude to stop beating him and the police are on their way.  I wouldn't engage in the physical altercation unless I had no other choice because I have a wife and kids that expect me to come home.  I also have no clue what the context of the altercation is, perhaps the guy on top doing the beating is the good guy and was defending himself from the crazy cyclist.

My job isn't to protect people from being beaten to death in a situation I know nothing about.  I carry a firearm to protect myself and my family from getting into a situation where I am beaten to death.  I don't carry one to protect others, they can carry one for themselves if they so choose to.

2013-09-03 1:25 PM

User image

“LET ALLAH SORT IT OUT.” - Sarah Palin.

It is quite ironic that the Neo-cons and Obama are on the same side on this one.

Does anyone know of a precedent of military response from a third party nation when a State used chemical weapons against its people?

2013-09-03 1:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Did you read my post?  I think I described exactly what I'd do.  Here, I'll copy and paste it again for you:

I would personally call 911, stop and tell the dude to stop beating him and the police are on their way.  I wouldn't engage in the physical altercation unless I had no other choice because I have a wife and kids that expect me to come home.  I also have no clue what the context of the altercation is, perhaps the guy on top doing the beating is the good guy and was defending himself from the crazy cyclist.

My job isn't to protect people from being beaten to death in a situation I know nothing about.  I carry a firearm to protect myself and my family from getting into a situation where I am beaten to death.  I don't carry one to protect others, they can carry one for themselves if they so choose to.

This is the attitude that leads to things like the Holocaust. You are selfish. As a human being you have a responsiblity to care for other human beings around you. If I see some woman getting raped I don't say, welllll I have a family to get back to and she could have carried a gun to protect herself, I better sit this one out. No, I would help her. There are people in this world that cannot protect themselves, and it is the duty of strong people around them to protect them. Otherwise we are just animals.

2013-09-03 2:11 PM

User image

This is the attitude that leads to things like the Holocaust. You are selfish. As a human being you have a responsiblity to care for other human beings around you. If I see some woman getting raped I don't say, welllll I have a family to get back to and she could have carried a gun to protect herself, I better sit this one out. No, I would help her. There are people in this world that cannot protect themselves, and it is the duty of strong people around them to protect them. Otherwise we are just animals.

How does being selfish create something like the Holocaust? Isn't the complete giving of self to the state the only way the state can convince its people to participate in such horrific event on behalf of the state? Has genocide ever occurred in a society when selfish interests came before the state's interests?

2013-09-03 2:14 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I've been called worse. 

So, are you joining the military when you get off work today?  I wouldn't want you to be accused of being selfish as well.

Also, I'd like to see the list of other countries you plan to invade when you get done with Syria.  You're going to be a busy fella because there are a lot of people being killed all over the world.

2013-09-03 2:16 PM

User image

Pro
Kinda hard to apply logic to that region......I'm sticking with "I don't care".
2013-09-03 2:18 PM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

How does being selfish create something like the Holocaust? Isn't the complete giving of self to the state the only way the state can convince its people to participate in such horrific event on behalf of the state? Has genocide ever occurred in a society when selfish interests came before the state's interests?

As someone stated previously, we (the U.S.) knew about it but decided to do nothing because it wasn't our problem.

2013-09-03 2:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I've been called worse. 

So, are you joining the military when you get off work today?  I wouldn't want you to be accused of being selfish as well.

Also, I'd like to see the list of other countries you plan to invade when you get done with Syria.  You're going to be a busy fella because there are a lot of people being killed all over the world.

The difference is the use of chemical weapons. Whether you like it or not, that is a line that the neighborhood kids drew in the sand, and when someone steps over it there should be consequences.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Syria Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Syria - WWCOJD?

Started by ScudRunner
Views: 1864 Posts: 15

2013-05-07 6:32 PM ChineseDemocracy