World Triathlon Corporation
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 29m 52s
Overall Rank = 375/3000
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 59/300
Pre-race routine:

Despite the time trial start I took my time getting to Transition and to the starting line. I wasn't worried about my placement in the start line and preferred to have a relaxed morning VS wake up even earlier and sit at the starting line for hours.
Event warmup:

Stretching before going to Transition.
They made everyone jog/run about 100 yards to the dock before jumping in the water to get peoples' heart rate up a little before starting the swim.
Swim
  • 1h 07m 49s
  • 3800 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was in the water by 7:14 AM. I accidentally cut in the swim line. I was walking towards the end of the line (per my plan), then the path turned behind a building and a group of athletes left a good 50 yard gap in the line so I just got in what I thought was the back of the line. A minute later the rest of the line walked up behind me. I felt bad for a second or two, but no one said anything so I just stayed.
What would you do differently?:

No changes here, I had a good swim!
Transition 1
  • 06m 41s
Comments:

It's a 2 minute run from swim exit to T1 entrance, so I wasn't really disappointed with the T1 time although it looks long.

I also stopped to get plenty of sunscreen after getting fried in Los Cabos in March.
Bike
  • 5h 37m 3s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.90 mile/hr
Comments:

I executed the bike course just as I trained. Nutrition, salt, and fluids were right on.

Should have drank even more than I did.
Transition 2
  • 05m 41s
Comments:

I didn't run through all of this transition. I went into this race with an injury in my right foot. Running barefoot was not the best idea, so I slowed down through transition.
Run
  • 4h 29m 52s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

The heat got to me yet again. Around mile 4 (after my first GU) my stomach got unhappy so I had to slow my nutrition. While this fixed my stomach, it put me behind in Hydration and Nutrition.
Being behind in my nutrition plan my legs tightened/slowed and the wheels fell off a bit. The rest of the run was a challenge to regain my hydration. This was a losing battle, but I was able to catch up some.
After my nutrition and overall performance degraded my goal was to run all the way to each aid station. In this race I only walked through the middle third of each aid station and stopped three times for a port-a-potty break.

More heat training I guess. Need to work on going into a run fatigued in 85+ degree weather and being able to maintain my nutrition plan.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to post race area.
1 IV and 2 pieces of pizza in medical. I've never had a post race IV before. After 1/2 a bag I felt good as new.
2 more pieces of pizza, cookies, and chocolate milk at athlete food.
Walked 1/2 mile to get my bike and meet my ride to my hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim: Ahead of Schedule
Bike: 7 minutes behind my time prediction (a couple minute pit stop, and staying easy on some of the hills attributed to this)
Run: 1 hour behind schedule: On a perfect day, I was shooting for a 3:30 marathon. Everything in my run comments was my limiting factors for the day.

Last updated: 2013-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:07:49 | 3800 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 77/300
Overall: 575/3000
Performance: Good
This was a pretty solid swim for me. I didn't start my watch before jumping in so I didn't know where I was in the race until getting to T1. I was shooting for less than 1hr 15min, so I was really happy with my swim.
Suit: No wetsuit
Course: Single Loop, 1.2K up river, 2.6k down river. I love this course. Very little current, extremely comfortable and spread out. You couldn't ask for a more calm Ironman Swim.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:41
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
05:37:03 | 112 miles | 19.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 53/300
Overall: 330/3000
Average Speed without my port-a-potty break: 20.3 (right on schedule)
Wind: Some
Course: Louisville course is still challenging. The whole course rolls and if ridden properly you'll use every gear that you have. The decent/ascent on the out and back portion is the most dangerous part of the course. Some people were trying to hammer down it which may have attributed to two very bad wrecks. The decent can be coasted at 40mph, no reason to pedal hard and try to pass people three wide. Just pass people on the up hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
04:29:52 | 26.2 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 59/300
Overall: 375/3000
Performance: Below average
Lap 1: 2:06:xx Lap 2: 2:23:xx
Course: Double out and back that is not as flat as you would expect from the course profile. There's plenty of grades, sun, shade, hotter, and cooler parts of this course. Spectator and volunteer support is great in Louisville.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %3
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-28 11:14 AM

North Carolina
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2013-08-29 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4841134

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Congratulations, what a great race. Despite difficulties on the run, you rocked it!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by PureGrrr
Views: 3713 Posts: 8

2007-09-01 9:35 PM marymosc13

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by Neil Hammond
Views: 3575 Posts: 3

2007-08-28 8:38 PM CitySky

Ironman Louisville Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 8028 Posts: 33

2007-09-08 9:45 PM joannh13

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by irongirl39
Views: 4217 Posts: 13

2007-09-02 10:36 AM run joe run

Ironman Louisville Pages: 1 2

Started by katimomma
Views: 7774 Posts: 26

2007-09-01 10:26 AM stephen strange
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : January 6, 2010
author : areyoux8
comments : 14
This is the story of a beginner triathlete's life altering conquest of his first Ironman.
date : August 26, 2009
author : mrakes1
On long runs, I've been taking 4-oz of Gatorade Endurance every 10-minutes, for a total of about 24-oz an hour. Should I boost my liquid consumption on the runs?

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.