United States
Ultramax Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I volunteered to work the morning shift at this race which got me a free entry into one of the afternoon waves. There were 6 competitive waves in the morning, then 2 kid's waves, then 6 non-competitive waves in the afternoon. So I spent about 3 hours in the morning handing out water to a bunch of wet, muddy, paint-splattered people. Not a bad way to spend a morning:).

Event warmup:

After my shift ended I headed back over to the starting line to wait for my wave to go off. I had almost 3 hours so I got some lunch, watched the kid's races and some of the waves before mine. They shortened the course for the afternoon waves due to the hot temps - the morning races were approx 3.4 miles, the afternoon ones were approx 2.7.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I chose not to be timed for this race - was only doing it for fun, as a way to break up my training. I had a really good time doing this but the course was tough! I had done a mud run about a year ago but that was nothing compared to this. And some of the course was "toned down" a bit due to the dry weather we've had lately. There was still more than enough mud to go around though.

The first obstacle right out of the starting gate was a muddy "pond". About 3/4 of the way across it turned into more of a quicksand-type mud - very easy to lose your shoes there if they weren't tied on tight. Got through that (with shoes intact) then it was a short run through the woods. Back out of the woods and over a 7' wall. Thru a field and it was on to the waterslide. This was about 35-40' long down the side of a hill and of course it ended in a mud pit at the bottom. Thru that mud and over to the balance beams. These were railroad ties set about 2' off the ground, maybe 15' long. Not the easiest thing to cross when your shoes are caked with mud. I made it most of the way across before falling off. Luckily there was no mud underneath. The monkey bars were a different story. They had mud pits about the consistency of pudding under them. I tried but my hands were so slippery that I only made it 2 bars before ending up in the mud down below. By this point I pretty much had mud everywhere.

After the monkey bars we headed back into the woods and into zombieland. Even though I knew they were there (my morning water station was right near here) they still go me a couple of times. Down on hands and knees through a shallow tunnel then through the woods some more. There was one point here where we ran through what would normally be a creek but due to the dry weather the ground was just a little damp, no real mud. Up a ladder out of the creek bed and back out of the woods, over a pile of tractor tires, and back into the woods for a run through a "watering hole" - which of course was also full of mud. One last time back out of the woods and around towards the starting line.

Back at the starting line up some tractor tires and down a ladder into a dumpster, up the ladder on the other side of the dumpster and onto the bridge that went over the start line to the dumpster on the other side. This one was filled with ice cold water. I had seen them dumping many, many bags of ice into the water while I watched earlier waves go off but was still surprised at how shockingly cold the water was. Up the ladder out of the water and back into the muddy "pond" where we started the race. After getting through that again it was on to the last obstacle. This was a shallow mud pit with the ropes over the top so you had to pretty much crawl your way through. Then it was on to the car wash, which was set up pretty much just like an actual car wash with water spraying at you from all directions. I stayed in there for a while just trying to get some of the mud off my face and hands. After I could see again I headed out and on to the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

nothing - this was just for fun
Post race
Warm down:

Found a hose and cleaned myself up as best I could before heading home.

Last updated: 2013-08-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 03 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: combination obstacle course, trail race, muddy mess
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-04 2:06 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: Airforce.com Epic Mud Run

2013-09-04 2:44 PM
in reply to: #4846827

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Subject: RE: Airforce.com Epic Mud Run

Sounds like you had a blast!!

I have a mud run October 12th, the week after my last sprint of the year. Is there anything special you would do to train? I was thinking pull ups. What about clothes, did you wear tri shorts?I was thinking with all of the mud something clingie like spandex might be best....any tips for shoes?

2013-09-05 6:30 AM
in reply to: Evergreen

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Sounds like a blast!!!!  I have one on Sept. 28 called the Gritty Goddess, I think it's gonna be a blast although I'm on a team of non-runners.  One lady does teach spin class though.  So not sure how much running will be done, but I'm looking forward to some mud, ha ha!  Very cool you got a free entry for volunteering!
2013-09-07 4:34 PM
in reply to: Evergreen

User image

Expert
Missouri
Originally posted by Evergreen

Sounds like you had a blast!!

I have a mud run October 12th, the week after my last sprint of the year. Is there anything special you would do to train? I was thinking pull ups. What about clothes, did you wear tri shorts?I was thinking with all of the mud something clingie like spandex might be best....any tips for shoes?

I did wear tri shorts (was trying to keep as much mud as possible out of certain areasSmile).  It also made it a little easier when cleaning up afterwards.  As for the shoes - wear an old pair.  If your race is anything like mine was, you'll never be able to get them clean enough to wear again. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Airforce.com Epic Mud Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

ASYMCA Mud Run

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 1575 Posts: 1

2005-10-30 4:22 PM TH3_FRB

Marine Corps Mud Run

Started by turqy
Views: 1330 Posts: 2

2005-10-21 7:25 PM southernaquagoddess

Marine Corps Mud Run

Started by JeepFleeb
Views: 1405 Posts: 4

2005-10-17 9:38 PM CitySky

Marine Corps Mud Run

Started by Big Red
Views: 2046 Posts: 10

2005-10-17 12:19 PM Mimir98

ASYMCA Mud Run

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 947 Posts: 4

2005-08-14 3:46 PM courtney_leone
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.

date : August 1, 2006
author : TriathlonRadio
comments : 2
In this first BT podcast, we interview JeepFleeb on his start into triathlons, powercranks and his weightloss journey.
date : March 5, 2006
author : DominiqueL
This company has quietly introduced the Inflatable Foot Rinse. It’s lightweight, portable, and solves all of the issues inherent in the ubiquitous plastic bucket.

date : October 30, 2005
author : Ron
D3 Multisport and BeginnerTriathlete.com have combined forces to bring high quality training programs to athletes of all abilities, especially new and beginner triathletes.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Team BT
Working only on technique will not make a swimmer much faster; some work must be done at speeds and efforts that could cause technique to deteriorate.

date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.