General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-05 10:15 AM

User image

Subject: First triathlon
Hi everyone,

My name is Cruz, I kicked around the idea of starting to train for an ironman triathlon a few months ago. Just after I started I was in a rapelling accident in which I fell 45 feet and landed flat on my back, among my other injuries I received a burst fracture on my L1 and the bone fragments punctured my spinal cord. One month after the injury I am walking fine and going to school, I realize that my recovery( the ability to walk again) isn't typical of SCI patients so I was thinking of trying to participate in the redman ironman triathlon one year from this month and trying to fundraise for SCI patients since I did get so lucky. I'm going to ask my doctors if this could reinsure my back of course, but what do you all think? I was In great shape before the accident but due to severe muscle atrophy and having my back muscles severed in surgery I'm very weak now.

2013-09-05 9:23 PM
in reply to: Cruz M

User image

Pro
NJ
Subject: RE: First triathlon
Hello Cruz and welcome to BT. First things first, it sounds as if you have made a remarkable recovery after a very serious injury. That is certainly something to be grateful for. No doubt you have worked very hard to get this far. Having a goal and fundraising to help others can be a very motivating and rewarding way to continue that progress. While I can't say whether an IM is the best race goal for you, I would encourage you to work with your healthcare support (Drs, PTs, OTs etc) in whatever type of activity or race distance you choose to pursue. BT can be a terrific resource for you as you work towards that goal. There are training plans, mentor groups and discussion forums. Read, ask questions and join the community. Good luck with your continue recovery and future racing. 
2013-09-06 8:59 AM
in reply to: Cruz M

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: First triathlon
Congrats on your recovery. I agree that you are incredibly lucky and it's cool that you are trying to raise money to help those less fortunate.

As for your dreams of competing in an ironman - have you done any triathlons since your fall. I might train for a short one to see how your body reacts and then make a decision based upon how you do and how much you enjoy the experience. For the record - I think anything is possible and I wish you the best of luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Triathlon Coming Up!

Started by ETcmh
Views: 965 Posts: 8

2004-07-06 7:31 AM Machiavelo

First triathlon in September

Started by Gear_masher
Views: 881 Posts: 7

2004-05-20 12:12 PM wileyd

First Triathlon Questions

Started by julesf
Views: 1275 Posts: 10

2004-01-14 1:29 PM CJWonder

Training for first triathlon

Started by Jo newbee
Views: 1403 Posts: 5

2003-11-05 1:37 PM medic

First Triathlon in May/June of next year.

Started by Patrice
Views: 1988 Posts: 11

2003-09-10 5:36 PM jnarenki
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"

date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!

date : July 30, 2006
author : bcshoe
comments : 0
My first attempt two years ago was not so successful when a deck nail found its way into my foot a week before the race. But I kept plugging away the last couple of years to stay healthy and get back.