General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vega and Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-08 11:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Vega and Ironman
Has anyone raced any long distance races using Vega products? Particularly on the bike. I use them on the run, but have been an Infinit user for the bike portion of the race. Just curious as to how many gels/bottles etc. one would carry.

2013-09-10 7:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Subject: RE: Vega and Ironman
I use some Vega products, but don't do iron distance events.

I typically only use the gels, so I'll speak to that. On a 2 1/2 hour ride followed by a 1hr run, I take 1 gel about 45 minutes into the bike, and then another gel or some fruit leather about 15 minutes before ending the bike. I don't usually take in any solids on the run as I usually only do Xterras and an occasional Oly, so as long as nutrition on the bike was good, I'm ok on the run.

If they were cheaper, I might do a 2nd gel on the bike before the run instead of the fruit leather.

On my long rides (3+ hours) I'll alternate gel/fruit leather/dates every 30-60 min.

If I were going to be riding for 6+ hours, I'd probably do a gel at 45 min, then alternate gel and real food every 30 minutes. Occasionally I'll skip one or two of the eating times.

The reason I mentioned real food is that if you're using Vega products, I'd guess that you may have made some diet choices to be healthier (vegetarian, maybe vegan, maybe less meat, no grains, something...). While Vega products are more "whole" than other gels (I can actually pronounce the names of most ingredients and recognize what they are!) they still are not "whole" foods. Which is why I choose to take in some real food during my training. For a long event like Ironman, I personally would need some real food. Medjool dates are delicious, portable, and full of energy. Mashed up banana in a Ziplok bag with a salty cracker and a smidge of honey is also a great snack, although it's a bit bigger. I have also been known to eat 1/2 of a thin peanut butter and jelly sandwich on a long run or bike (more than 3 hours) and reduce the other amounts.

I haven't tried Vega's electrolyte drink mix...their flavors are a little different from the norm and I'm not sure I'd be able to handle it. Have you tried it? How is it?

I tend to be on the light side of things when it comes to nutrition. I think most people take more than me, so remember that when considering.

Sorry if that was more info than you needed or wanted...I was on a roll.

Edited by The Chupacabra 2013-09-10 7:50 AM
2013-09-10 8:02 AM
in reply to: Busygirl

User image

Subject: RE: Vega and Ironman
I haven't tried them, but I seem to remember Rich Roll mentioning them in his book (he does like the Ultraman competitions and stuff) on a plant-powered diet...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vega and Ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Vega powder

Started by Elly
Views: 1760 Posts: 5

2012-02-23 1:41 PM runswMoose

Vega Supplement

Started by sulross
Views: 6542 Posts: 6

2009-09-08 7:59 PM DMW

Breafast for Ironman IMLP

Started by popit
Views: 1113 Posts: 5

2007-07-27 3:11 PM idahodan

Half/Full Ironman liquids available on the course?

Started by grit_nugget
Views: 1009 Posts: 4

2007-07-06 11:58 AM oweiss

The Ironman Cocktail

Started by So Fresh So Clean
Views: 3479 Posts: 14

2005-10-24 2:58 PM BrianPBN
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.