General Discussion Race Reports! » QuakerMan Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

QuakerMan Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
United States
Genesis Adventures
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 55m 45s
Overall Rank = 21/64
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

decided to do this race on Wednesday and use it as a catered training day. haven't raced since May and I am getting bored of training alone.

Swim
  • 37m 26s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was pretty solid for me. would be my longest continuous swim in the year. sighting was easy and there was no contact due to the small field.
glanced at my watch after the first lap and say 17:xx and was pretty stoked. At the start of the 2nd lap I veered off course into oncoming traffic (doh!) and had to reroute, but otherwise very happy with the swim.
What would you do differently?:

stay on target
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

small transition area which made it fast. wetsuit that wouldn't come off the ankles made it slow.

maybe body glide the legs of my wetsuit.
Bike
  • 3h 09m 55s
  • 58 miles
  • 18.32 mile/hr
Comments:

right out of T1 I messed up my garmin timing by hitting lap in multisport too many times. fogged glasses! had to play with the garmin and didn't start recording until a couple miles into the bike. Need to work on garmin management.

plan was to keep my watts around 250 for the first 30 min, but I didn't. clearly came out too hot looking back at the data...was about 275w, was feeling good, though.

About half way through the 2nd lap my tire blew. didn't see anything in the road. Changed the tube in about 10 min.

Made it another full loop and with about 10miles left to go and my rear tire blew again. had to wait for the support van. they gave me a tube and installed it and after they pumped it up they spotted a gash in my tire. so the went to the van and got me a new tire and installed it.

Lost about 30 minutes in total with the two flats. My tire was clearly end-of-life and I should have replaced it before the race. oh well.

Tried to make up time (stupidly) and pushed the bike too hard. NP average was 279w which is about .83 IF, which is close to what I was shooting for, but my surges were way too high (i.e. my max power was 950w...wtf was I thinking?). need to smooth the riding out and lower the IF to have a good run.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/372128999

chill.
fresh tires.
better nutrition. I think I took in too much in retrospect. Had two bottles of IM Perform with 3 scoops each (about 200 cals) and 3 gels. Also grabbed 2 bottles of Gatorade on the course but with the crappy bottles most of that just spilled on me.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

took my time. was a little bummed by the ride issues. but the family was there cheering for me which was great.
Run
  • 2h 04m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

felt bloated and crampy in the gut right away and knew this would be a struggle. probably took in too many calories on the bike and then continued to do so on the run. first lap was running around the 8:30-8:45 range, but knew I was heading downhill. 2nd lap was a sufferfest and was 10-12m miles. Lost my cookies a couple times. walked a bunch. but made it home.

not barf x2
Post race
Warm down:

ahh, the joy of a small race. with all my trials and tribulations I still came in 3rd in the M40-44 category. there were only 7 of us and the 1st place guy was on the Overall podium, so I got bumped up to 2nd and got some hardware. haha.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

flat tires (my fault for not checking prior)
poor pacing on the bike
poor nutrition.

plenty to work on before IMFL.

Event comments:

this is a great low-key race.

Last updated: 2013-09-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:26 | 2112 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 22/64
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:09:55 | 58 miles | 18.32 mile/hr
Overall: 26/64
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:04:54 | 13.1 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Overall: 33/64
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-09 3:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA
Subject: QuakerMan Triathlon - Half Iron Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » QuakerMan Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

QuakerMan Half Iron Triathlon

Started by davidamitchell
Views: 973 Posts: 2

2012-09-13 10:55 PM BigDH

QuakerMan Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by deadman
Views: 802 Posts: 1

2012-08-29 10:46 PM deadman

QuakerMan Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by deadman
Views: 687 Posts: 1

2012-08-12 10:14 PM deadman

QuakerMan Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by PAtriman
Views: 1101 Posts: 1

2012-06-20 7:23 AM PAtriman

QuakerMan Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by adkgeocacher
Views: 747 Posts: 1

2012-06-17 7:40 PM adkgeocacher
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
Although you can receive all of your vitamins and minerals through foods eaten in the diet, nutritional products used for training may not allow you to meet recommendations on a daily basis.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.
date : September 4, 2004
author : adumey
To help you extract the most from my account, I will highlight the specific take-aways that will not only improve your race time, but reduce unecessary bloodshed.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.