General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Canandaigua, New York
United States
Mary M. Gooley Hemophilia Center
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 49m 53s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 23/38
Swim
  • 26m 3s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

One of the buoys at the end of the course floated away. Kayakers were trying ot keep swimmers on course. Bit of a debacle. Long run in from the water's edge to T1.

Controlled, conservative swim. Not my best, but left myself plenty juice for later.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Haven't been paying much attention to transitions this summer. Used to do these much faster.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 58s
  • 40 kms
  • 26.10 km/hr
Comments:

First flat in eight years of racing. Happened about five miles out. Nothing spectacular, but lost all pressure in the rear wheel within about ten seconds. Found myself a spot to pull over and went to work. Got the wheel off and the tube replaced and inflated within 7-8 minutes, but then struggled to get the wheel back on. Tried to ride away after 13 minutes of work, only to find that the wheel was still out of whack. Loosened the skewer and re-aligned the wheel once more and finally pedaled smoothly back onto the course. Lost 14 minutes altogether.
What would you do differently?:

Obviously, nobody wants a flat. Would like to handle things more quickly next time, but at the same time, does it really matter? Once you're riding on your rim, you know you're going to be slower than you wanted; it's just a question of how much slower.

On the plus side, I kept a calm, deliberate demeanor throughout the whole episode, even when I recognized I was goofing up the job. Also, the time loss dropped me back in the overall standings, and when I got back onto the course I was mixed in with slower athletes, and I got to pass a lot of people on the bike, which is pretty much the opposite of my normal experience. This had a positive psychological effect on me. Dropping back in the standings and watching my clock-based aspirations go out the window allowed me to focus less on stats and data and more on the beauty of the surroundings and the great enjoyment I derive from simply being healthy and outdoors early on a Sunday morning. It became much less ABOUT THE RACE at that point and more about having a QUALITY EXPERIENCE. I've covered the same course more quickly--even if you knock of the time spent fixing my mechanical issue--but like the swim, a conservative effort left me with plenty of energy for what remained.
Transition 2
  • 02m 29s
Run
  • 46m 53s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 41s  min/km
Comments:

Since racing here for the first time in 2008, I've never believed that this course was a full 10K. Still don't. Logged my best 10K triathlon split here back in 2008 and somehow managed to go even faster this time around by almost two minutes. These reservations aside, I can say for certain that I've never run this course faster. Had dead legs for the first mile, but kept churning until things began to loosen up. Found a good tempo and a sustainable pace somewhere near the end of the first loop and just focused on keeping a smooth cadence from that point forward. Didn't have tons of "zing" left for a sprint finish, but I did feel like there were a few more miles in my legs if necessary. It's only my second time under 50 minutes in an Olympic distance tri (if that's really what we ran).

The biggest factors, I think, were not pushing myself too hard earlier (an unanticipated break on the side of the road and a leisurely bike pace certainly helped in this) and a downright cheerful attitude, which kept me going on what might otherwise have stood out as a rainy, windy, tire-flattened failed race day.
Post race
Event comments:

Not a great outing if you go by the clock or by AG placing, but fourteen minutes got burned while dealing with a mechanical on the bike. Subtract that, and it's a pretty decent effort, which culminated in one of my best triathlon runs ever. I've been fighting this summer to get back into some semblance of shape after three years of next-to-nothing UN-fitness spent working and raising my two toddlers. This race convinced me that MAYBE my best years as a triathlete aren't behind me after all. And maybe next year is the year I get back into HIM shape.

Last updated: 2013-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:03 | 1500 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/38
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:31:58 | 40 kms | 26.10 km/hr
Age Group: 32/38
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:29
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:46:53 | 10 kms | 04m 41s  min/km
Age Group: 17/38
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-09-09 9:22 PM

User image

Expert
Central New York
Subject: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Ridgelake
Views: 1682 Posts: 5

2012-09-11 11:08 AM dexter

Started by robcolling
Views: 1496 Posts: 6

2012-09-11 2:10 PM robcolling

Started by kenj
Views: 1501 Posts: 5

2012-09-10 9:57 PM dexter

Started by marmadaddy
Views: 1708 Posts: 4

2012-09-11 10:57 AM dexter

Started by dexter
Views: 1614 Posts: 4

2012-09-10 8:23 AM Ridgelake
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : March 19, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
After riding my bike sometimes I will develop a very sharp intense pain in the first joint of my pointer finger. It seems to happen randomly and it lasts for anywhere from several minutes to an hour.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.