Cool Breeze Cyclery
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 47s
Overall Rank = 25/152
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/16
Pre-race routine:

Local race close to home and year end race for me; up at6 :15 - very tired and did not want to get out to bed. Typical pre-race breakfast of oatmeal and Diet Mt Dew. Out the door and parked by 7am. My back tire was rubbing so spent a few minutes getting the tired straight - thinking the tire needs truing.

Setup transition, body marked and chip very quickly - had a great transition spot.
Event warmup:

Ran a little bit, jumped in the water for the a quick swim. Then hit the port a potties again _ lets say my lower GI emptied out
Swim
  • 12m
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

Second year - the swim was advertised as 500m - but my Garmin has .47 miles which was 750meters. It was certainly more 500m
Transition 1
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Small TA with a great TA spot lead to good time
Bike
  • 36m 16s
  • 12.35 miles
  • 20.43 mile/hr
Comments:

Decent ride - was faster last year - played hop scotch with a couple of guys - passed by one relay and two people not in my age group. My cadence monitor is screwed up so I rode by feel - probably could have gone a little harder.

On Shearers did get stuck in some traffic but nothing like LKN tri.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Decent T2 - the issue was the racks are super high
Run
  • 25m 47s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 10s  min/km
Comments:

I went out hard - on purpose and then hung on
What would you do differently?:

My running has a point of contention - running hard according to my HR but slowing down
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed water and talked with some folks - ate a bagel and a banana. They ran out of drinks at the end.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Really, really tired - but during the race did not feel. Really surprised I won my age group. Going into the race and pre-race I hoped to place. During the race I assumed I was somewhere like 2nd or 3rd as I saw no one in my AG on the bike. SO the fact that I won was a surprise even though I was slower than last year.

Event comments:

For what it is - part of a three company wellness challenge plus where it is on the calendar (most folks focused on season ending longer races) its a good race - it was better than last year as far as organization. Its small but a good race for beginners. I like the race a bunch

More porta potties this year (like double) plus more volunteers with chips and marking made it a much better experience. The Course is really nice (great swim in a cove, the run is relatively flat, and the bike is on well known roads and routes) - So major thanks to race folks for making this race better. It was a great deal better than last year.

My only beef was the award - last year was a beer glass this year a hat? a hat come on man.

Last updated: 2013-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:00 | 750 meters | 01m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/16
Overall: 36/152
Performance:
Suit:
Course: it was a triangle
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:16 | 12.35 miles | 20.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/16
Overall: 20/152
Performance: Good
148 HR avg
Wind:
Course: Funny course you hit three decent hills (well for us) in 12 miles - in fact a road bike is not a huge disadvantage versus a TT bike
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:47 | 05 kms | 05m 10s  min/km
Age Group: 5/16
Overall: 72/152
Performance: Average
Course was short (had it at 2.93) - Avg HR was 159 - went out hard trailing a guy off the bike - he and ran together for the first two miles
Course: Through the campus at Ingersoll Rand - same as last year - course map had us make a little turn around (assume to add the missing distance) which I anticipated but never happened - truly weird
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-09-10 11:36 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Lake Davidson Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Davidson Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Davidson Sprint Triathlon

Started by sthamlin
Views: 871 Posts: 1

2013-04-22 3:57 PM sthamlin

Started by jlshafer
Views: 850 Posts: 1

2012-10-07 8:27 PM jlshafer

Started by BrentClagg
Views: 934 Posts: 1

2012-09-21 12:57 PM BrentClagg

Started by ckb_nc
Views: 1282 Posts: 1

2012-09-10 3:50 PM ckb_nc

Started by Bergerinc
Views: 842 Posts: 1

2012-09-10 2:30 PM Bergerinc
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.