Howard County Police Department
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 23m 22s
Overall Rank = 71/678
Age Group = F30-39
Age Group Rank = 3/63
Pre-race routine:

I didn't have high expectations for this race or low expectations for this race or, really, any expectations for this race. Thanks to Labor Day, I got in my 17 mile long run at the beginning of the week so I wouldn't have to stuff it in the same weekend as a race. Still, I wasn't tapered and I've been putting in 40+ mpw and this is hardly an A race, so - as much as I wanted to PR and secretly thought I could because I'm delusional like that - the race was not my best but it wasn't my worst (it's hard for the wheels to fall off during a 5K -- go out hard and fast and hang on and tell yourself that the faster you run the faster the pain is over).

The Police Pace raises money for various charities in the community. This year a friend started Team Vickie to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, in honor of a friend and coworker who is fighting leukemia.

After photos and good lucks everyone headed to the start.

And away we go! The first mile is almost totally downhill but then things get ugly hilly fast. It's a pretty course, running along Centennial Lake. It's better to run next to Centennial Lake then swim in it ;)
Event warmup:

The race was at nearby Centennial Park, and I wanted to get in a warm up, so I left early with plans to meet James and H at the race closer to the start. I got in an easy 2.5 mi around the lake, found friends/ coworkers, James and H, visited the port-o-potty (x2).
Run
  • 23m 22s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

So I hit the first mile around 7:12 and I'm thinking I'm pretty awesome. Then I went up a few hills and felt less awesome. I really don't love this distance and I know this is wussy but it just HURTS so damn much. If run right every race hurts at some point but a 5K hurts from the moment the guns goes off until you cross the finish line. Plus there's less room for error. Give me a 10 miler over a 5K any day.
What would you do differently?:

Not have tired legs? First mile too fast? Who knows?
Post race
Warm down:

My PR for the 5K is 22:54 so I wasn't super close to that. I was a little bummed (have been spoiled with several solid races this year) but then they called my name for third in my AG and woohooo!

If I was still in my 20s or in my 40s I would have been second in my AG. Ha!
(I may or may not have asked James if he counted how many women in their thirties crossed before me. He told me that he actually tried to count but it's hard to guess ages. He totes gets me).

I went up on stage and got my medal and brought H with me, balloon in hand, natch.

and then we went to brunch at Double T because brunch is awesome and truly is the best meal of the day. I had an omlette and H had pancakes with lots of syrup and it was a good day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not tapered

Event comments:

http://irontrish.blogspot.com/2013/09/it-all-depends-on-who-shows-u...

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-04-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:22 | 03.11 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/63
Overall: 71/678
Performance: Average
Mile 1: 7:12 Mile 2: 7:54 Mile 3: 7:49
Course: Hilly!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-11 9:58 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: Police Pace
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Police Pace Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Police Pace

Started by trishie
Views: 919 Posts: 1

2012-11-01 8:13 PM trishie

Howard County Police Pace 5k

Started by Mr. BoH
Views: 778 Posts: 1

2011-04-04 9:08 AM Mr. BoH

Howard County Police Pace

Started by triatty
Views: 947 Posts: 1

2008-09-08 7:54 AM triatty

13th Annual New York State Police Kelly Memorial "police chase"

Started by nynewbie
Views: 1192 Posts: 1

2007-10-07 3:45 PM nynewbie

AZ Police Games - 10k

Started by desertsix
Views: 898 Posts: 1

2004-04-12 12:00 AM desertsix
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.

date : November 27, 2005
author : mikericci
Focus on doing the drills and improving each week. Eventually you will go out for a run, look down, and see that your pace has improved, your heart rate is lower, and your cadence is over 90 rpm.
date : October 2, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
As a sports-parent, you can be a good role model for athleticism and healthful food choices. What can you do to regain control without becoming the food police?

date : March 20, 2005
Now is your chance! If you want to prove that you should be training at a faster pace you can prove it by racing faster.
date : January 10, 2005
The misconception of LSD is that it’s easy. What I have learned over the years is that LSD or "running slow" is relative to each person.

date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.
date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
Good swimming is relaxed swimming. Relaxed swimming depends on practicing the best techniques and the best body position.

date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"On a six-mile tempo run is the warm up and cool down miles"