General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chilly Tri Tomorrow - Advice Needed ! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-14 11:14 AM

Malvern, PA
Subject: Chilly Tri Tomorrow - Advice Needed !
I am doing a short sprint tomorrow (1/4 mile swim, 13 mile bike, 2 mile run). This will be my 4th tri so I think I have the routine down....but...

Water temps are expected to be 72-75 degrees...sweet!

Air temps are expected to be 49-52 degrees...brr!! At least it is supposed to be sunny.

My inclination is to just wear my tri top and shorts on the bike, with the understanding that I will be VERY COLD the first 10 minutes until the clothing dries out.

But I am wondering if maybe I should wear a wind vest or thin jacket (I have both).

Suggestions? Ideally I would like to hear from folks who have done events under similar temps/conditions.

2013-09-14 11:49 AM
in reply to: datlas

Malvern, PA
Subject: RE: Chilly Tri Tomorrow - Advice Needed !
p.s. One other idea I had is to do the swim with a wetsuit but no top, and then put dry tri top on in T1. Is that wise?
2013-09-14 12:03 PM

User image

Bronze member

Is that the high temp for the day? Or the temp at race start? Do you care more about comfort or your transition time?

I've tried different things while racing in cooler temps. I've tried putting on a long sleeve shirt in T1 - it got stuck on my wet skin and was a little frustrating but I was happy to have it. I've tried a light weight jacket that zips up with the bottom of the zipper zipped so all I had to do was pull it over and zip it real quick. Still stuck to my wet skin when I tried to put it on. Your vest idea might be easier to deal with though.

I've also skipped the extras and just raced cold. I was really only cold on the bike, it made me work even harder because I just wanted to be finished and get warm! It was not that bad.

I also just read about rolling up some arm warmers like a doughnut or a bracelet and hanging them on your bars. Then when you get to transition just roll them up to your shoulders.

Good luck!

2013-09-14 12:11 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
My preference is to wear my normal race stuff (trisuit under wetsuit) and then zip on a jacket in T1.  If it warms up on the bike you can unzip and you can probably just ditch it in T2.    I have raced in exactly that temp in the past and this worked well.
2013-09-15 6:09 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

In a sprint once, I left my swim cap on (under my helmet) for the bike leg - figuring if you keep your head warm there's more energy to keep the rest of you warm. That helped.
2013-09-15 6:44 AM

User image

Originally posted by datlas

p.s. One other idea I had is to do the swim with a wetsuit but no top, and then put dry tri top on in T1. Is that wise?

That is what I did at a race yesterday. I put on bike jersey in T1. It worked well. The water wasn't that warm, and the air temp was about 45-50 for the entire race (it made for a nice run). My quads were cold on the bike, but the course was hilly, so they eventually warmed up.

2013-09-15 7:53 PM

User image

So, I had a sprint Tri this past weekend. The air temp was around 48 F and the water temp was around 65 F, wet roads and slight drizzle. By the time I got out of the water I was extremely cold!!! It seemed that I was dizzier than normal during T1. I put on a long sleeve jersey, and went out on the road. Couldn't get warm for the whole 15 mile bike ride and it seemed that I couldn't handle the bike well. Poorest bike leg in a long time!!! Just couldn't get my core temp up and my performance reflected that. Finally Into the second mile of the run I began to feel normal. Wasn't a great day.

I've got another sprint Tri coming up this weekend. I know the water temperature will probably be slightly lower so I think I'll double cap for the swim. If the air temp isn't comfortable, I've got a long sleeve jersey with a wind block front panel that I might wear. I'll make my decision last minute.

Lesson learned, don't schedule a Triathlon in Upstate New York late September. The water temperature drops to quickly around here, especially for someone with let than 10% body fat. It's no fun racing and shivering thru the whole thing!!

If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them!
2013-09-15 8:34 PM
in reply to: Macguyverguy

New user
Bremerton, WA
Your clothes won't dry on that short of a bike ride. During a race last year I was so cold on the bike that I couldn't hold on to my water bottle and couldn't get my race belt clipped for a long time after leaving transition. Plus my feet were freezing and it felt like I had put my footbeds in upside down in my running shoes for the first mile and a half or so of the run. Very strange feeling as I regained function in my hands and feet. I had a veteran racer tell me to put hand warmers in my bike shoes while I was out on the swim and then tuck them into the little pockets of my tri top when I went out on the bike. I haven't had a race with chilly weather yet to try out her suggestion, but it sounded genius to me - warm bike shoes and then warming your core while you ride. You could ditch them at T2 since the run will probably warm you up plenty quick.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chilly Tri Tomorrow - Advice Needed ! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need advice on IM attire tomorrow

Started by tuwood
Views: 1811 Posts: 15

2012-09-08 8:43 PM gojogo

chilly half marathon tomorrow, what to wear

Started by ransick
Views: 4462 Posts: 19

2010-10-05 7:54 AM momandmd

Race tomorrow, need advice

Started by [email protected]
Views: 984 Posts: 13

2009-09-19 11:29 AM [email protected]

FIRST TRI TOMORROW....any advice???

Started by triitagain
Views: 899 Posts: 10

2009-06-20 9:10 PM jkward

Need advice for first Tri on Sun.

Started by ridinfences
Views: 713 Posts: 4

2004-09-30 10:22 PM Rowdy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 22, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Confused about how much protein you need, when you need it, and the best kinds of protein? The following article answers some of the questions active people commonly ask about protein.

date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : February 22, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on caloric needs for weightloss and workouts plus whole wheat breads.

date : November 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Sleep is one of your answers to keep the doctor away. But how much is enough sleep? We'll discuss the benefits of getting a proper amount of sleep and the risks of not getting enough.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?
date : September 15, 2004
author : tboepple
Women / Masters / Special Needs - Lauren Maule, Diane Proud, Tom Rodgers

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlon Training Advice and Tips