General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crazy things seen DURiNG a race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-15 1:22 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: Crazy things seen DURiNG a race
I am sure there have been threads like this before, but I saw something yesterday that I couldn't even believe, so I thought I'd see if anyone else had a similar experience. This is not for mocking anyone for rookie mistakes, but for definitely-knew-better scenarios.

My contribution: sprint tri with wave starts yesterday. A guy passes me on the bike while texting on an iphone. I loudly ask "seriously?" - he stayed left after passing, and was then blocking the much faster woman coming up behind us. I was amused/annoyed and them kind of mad about it after.

I also tried to warn a guy to get out of the way of a truck on an out-and-back course (Devilman this year) who was running down the middle of the road, but he couldn't hear me with his headphones in.

Are you guys seeing people making unnecessary unsafe moves like this?

2013-09-15 1:49 PM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Subject: RE: Crazy things seen DURiNG a race
The worse I see is people obviously disobeying the no phone/MP3 player rule and not even hiding it. Even though this rule is made clear when registering for the race and the race director puts it out before the race. When they get a penalty/DQ they always act like they didn't know
2013-09-15 2:51 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I've seen buckets in transition.  

Innocent

2013-09-15 3:20 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

In IMMT a woman began to overtake me and then proceeded to take a sandwich out of her back pocket and eat it whilst asking me where I was from. After a minute or two I had to ask her whether she was planning on passing or just wanted company whilst she ate her lunch.
2013-09-15 3:28 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

saw a woman wearing a bikini for a rough ocean swim

saw 6 people sitting on the ground in T1

buckets of course...

guy who walked the entire pool swim

2013-09-15 3:47 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

In a local try-a-tri (400m/10k/2.5k) I saw a guy with a P5, higher end aero helmet and full dish rear wheel but he looked and acted like he'd never ridden a bike before and nearly fell trying to get on it.

1) If it's actually his bike, why in God's name would he buy something like that and not even be able to get on it?
2) If someone lent it to him, they need to see a psychatrist asap.

2013-09-15 3:51 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Whats the big deal about buckets in transition? Don't a lot of people use them to rinse the sand off their feet before putting on their bike shoes?
2013-09-15 4:08 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by trijamie

Whats the big deal about buckets in transition? Don't a lot of people use them to rinse the sand off their feet before putting on their bike shoes?
Yeah, I never understood the anti-bucket thing. It doesn't take up any more space than most transition backpacks. I was next to someone with a bucket yesterday. Didn't affect my space. To use it for a seat for shoe changing, why not? Not everyone is an elite flying mount flexibility master.
2013-09-15 4:10 PM

User image

One time I saw someone during a race on their bike pull out bread, then a spreading knife, peanut butter, jam and BOOM - peanut butter and jam sandwich. Right on the bike. Amazing.
2013-09-15 4:13 PM

Last week during a HM I saw somebody trying to run to the other side of the road to give a high five to family and come within inches of being run over by a car behind them.

Pretty sure they were wearing an Ipod.

2013-09-15 4:20 PM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Yea, honestly, the iPod/headphones thing really does get on my nerves during races. I wish I could say "well i won't let it bother me, let them do their thing" but it's dangerous and annoying to the other athletes. People need to be aware of what's going on all around them to keep everyone safe, especially on the bike, and trust me, it will make the experience a lot better. The energy boost you get from listening to music isn't worth it when it means you're blocking out the spectators who have come out to cheer you on.

2013-09-15 4:21 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
I'm back, my husband reminded me of this one. We were at a sprint where there was actually an aid station of the bike course. It was a 3 lap bike course. Anyway, we saw a guy, in the race, on a mountain bike, pulled over at the aid station smoking a cigarette.
2013-09-15 4:34 PM
in reply to: Jpro19

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by Jpro19

One time I saw someone during a race on their bike pull out bread, then a spreading knife, peanut butter, jam and BOOM - peanut butter and jam sandwich. Right on the bike. Amazing.
that's a long way to go to avoid an uncrustable. I would pay good money for a video of that. That almost sounds like something you'd make someone do when losing a bet. I'm curious, was it at least a HIM distance?
2013-09-15 4:36 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by Jpro19 One time I saw someone during a race on their bike pull out bread, then a spreading knife, peanut butter, jam and BOOM - peanut butter and jam sandwich. Right on the bike. Amazing.

that's actually quite impressive

2013-09-15 4:41 PM

User image

That's just the beginning. Then before he ate it, he pulls out a checkered red and white table cloth and puts it over his lap - BOOM, picnic right on the bike. Amazing.
2013-09-15 4:49 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

That's just the beginning. Then before he ate it, he pulls out a checkered red and white table cloth and puts it over his lap - BOOM, picnic right on the bike. Amazing.

OK now I doubting the truthiness of your original contribution. And I so wanted it to be true. Like I said, that is the sceanrio that I imagine as a lost bet. I had a friend post a photo in facebook of a woman returnign a bag of ice at Wal-Mart customer service. He was behind her in line, witnessing the whole thing. All I could imagine was a wager situation. At least, it's one I'll use in the future if I want a friendly bet with a friend where I am not interested in their $20 but apthe sheer entertainment from returning a bag of ice, or making a sandwich on a bike.

2013-09-15 4:49 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by Jpro19 That's just the beginning. Then before he ate it, he pulls out a checkered red and white table cloth and puts it over his lap - BOOM, picnic right on the bike. Amazing.

ok im going to need another witness or pics to validate this

2013-09-15 5:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
I liked the guy I saw with a beater commuter bike, with racks, aero bars and an aero helmet. To each their own, but that was an unusual set up.

Also saw a bunch of sea lions about 25 yards from me during my last swim. Made me feel good, figured if they were there, Mr. Toothy probably wasn't around.
2013-09-15 5:28 PM

User image

Originally posted by Clempson

Originally posted by Jpro19 That's just the beginning. Then before he ate it, he pulls out a checkered red and white table cloth and puts it over his lap - BOOM, picnic right on the bike. Amazing.

Lol. I'm exaggerating from an actual REAL situation where I was behind a guy during the bike, during a HIM, and I could see halfway hanging out of his tri top pocket was a sandwich. I laughed because my nutrition plan was clearly much different but I was craving a PB and J sandwich at that moment.

Then I fabricated the story to get some attention.

Then I got some attention and now I'm revealing the truth!

Sorry it wasn't true...
2013-09-15 5:44 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

Lol. I'm exaggerating from an actual REAL situation where I was behind a guy during the bike, during a HIM, and I could see halfway hanging out of his tri top pocket was a sandwich. I laughed because my nutrition plan was clearly much different but I was craving a PB and J sandwich at that moment.

Then I fabricated the story to get some attention.

Then I got some attention and now I'm revealing the truth!

Sorry it wasn't true...
Darn it all! I loved that one, i really want to film that as a scene now. I could see it as an ad for some gel or on-the-go "nutrition."
2013-09-15 6:01 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Lol. I'm exaggerating from an actual REAL situation where I was behind a guy during the bike, during a HIM, and I could see halfway hanging out of his tri top pocket was a sandwich. I laughed because my nutrition plan was clearly much different but I was craving a PB and J sandwich at that moment. Then I fabricated the story to get some attention. Then I got some attention and now I'm revealing the truth! Sorry it wasn't true...

im still going to pass on the sandwich building story.

2013-09-15 6:02 PM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by kmac1346 I liked the guy I saw with a beater commuter bike, with racks, aero bars and an aero helmet. To each their own, but that was an unusual set up. Also saw a bunch of sea lions about 25 yards from me during my last swim. Made me feel good, figured if they were there, Mr. Toothy probably wasn't around.

that or he had something else to actually go for other than something that "might" be a sea lion

2013-09-15 6:14 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I didn't see this, but a woman in my mentor group completed IMFrance this summer, and this is from her race report:

"We hit the second longer climb around 100km called Cote de Saint Pons. Just before starting to climb I saw this blue thing race by me. This French guy who had a race number was riding on one of those beachside bikes that look the same as the one I rode in Paris....so this bulky, heavy hybrid style. This guy had something happen to his bike and he was riding a rental communter bike to do IM France....and made it up that 20k climb. So I stuck with him and eventually passed him while climbing up the Cote de Saint Pon...but he had all his nutrition and hydration in the basket that was on the front of the bike...of all the things I remember from this race...I remember that basket. That dude was intense. His name was Patrice."

I imagine him on a Pee Wee Herman bike with a basket...LOLOL
2013-09-15 6:50 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
In the San Jose international distance tri, I passed a guy who was on one of those old timey bikes with the huge front wheel and the tiny wheel in the back. You know the kind? The ones they rode around on in france in the 1800s. Best part is that he had mounted aerobars on it!
2013-09-15 6:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
At Vineman last year, I'm cruising along a pretty flat, fast stretch and as I'm coming up on this lady, I hear "beep.beep.beep...beep.beep.beep and she reaches into her top and starts yacking away on her cellphone.  It was like, "Oh hi, yeah, I'm doing the race today, how are you, yeah the weather is real nice, what are you guys doing today, blah, blah, blah..."  Her bike handling skills were not great and it was all she could do to stay on the road with one hand on the bars..

Edited by popsracer 2013-09-15 6:54 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crazy things seen DURiNG a race Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Craziest thing that's ever happened while training? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by blbriley
Views: 5351 Posts: 70

2010-06-01 5:11 PM McGuff

What is the Tri-craziest thing you've done?

Started by jwy3b
Views: 1812 Posts: 21

2010-02-08 2:49 PM rayd

Ten Things I learned During My First Year of Racing Triathlons Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Dream Chaser
Views: 6535 Posts: 51

2009-02-28 10:33 PM jashac

Funniest thing you have seen in a race...?

Started by triOK
Views: 775 Posts: 6

2006-06-19 4:15 PM parrj

what's the worst thing that's ever happened to you during a race

Started by awol
Views: 1690 Posts: 23

2005-08-18 12:04 PM marmadaddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique

date : February 16, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Some athletes call it runners' trots; others call it diarrhea. Whatever the name, few athletes openly discuss the topic yet many secretly suffer. Here’s some information about this stinky topic that m
date : January 20, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Feeling bloated during training and racing is a common concern with endurance sports like triathlon. More salt or more water? Read more!

date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.
date : March 14, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Part two covers protein after workouts, caffeine usage during racing, the reason for muscle fatigue and general nutrition guidelines.

date : April 5, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on training for a 5k open water swim, Ironman race swim placement, hammering on the swim during a race, TI swimming, importance of kick sets and rotation.
date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
On countless occasions, we have heard it from people. You swim how far? You have got to be crazy!