General Discussion Race Reports! » Abebe Bikila Day International Peace Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Abebe Bikila Day International Peace Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
District of Columbia, District of Columbia
United States
Safety and Health Foundation
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 39s
Overall Rank = 15/245
Age Group = F30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/21
Pre-race routine:

as I mentioned in my last post, I kind of forgot about this race. It's been on my schedule but it wasn't an A race -- more of a let's-see-where-I-am-for-Philly race.

For information about Abebe Bikila, click here.

my iron-buddy Deb came over for a pasta dinner (complete with a refusing-to-sit-on-his-chair toddler) and we headed over to Georgetown/ NoVa around 7:30 (no one wants to be anywhere near that area in rush hour traffic). We drove past all the fun Georgetown-ness to go to check into our hotel and go to sleep early. woohoo. Fell asleep after 10:00 after watching two episodes of Say Yes to the Dress because priorities.

we didn't go to packet pickup on Friday (see: rush-hour terribleness and it closed at 7) so we left for the race start at 6:30 am. Race start time was 9am and we were 3 miles from the hotel, but who wants to rush on race morning? we got to the start (after getting a little turned around and holy crap do I want to live here. my dad: you may want to practice a different area of law then) and realized we had a couple of hours until race start.

it was an almost chilly morning .. not even 60* at the race start -- a welcome change from the 90+ degree temps we had earlier in the week. Deb and I got our packets and tshirts.

The race was really low key - no chip, about 300 runners, small mile markers on the ground. no mats, no splits, nothing fancy ... just a well organized, beautiful race with the friendliest RD (Jay Wind was the nice guy who let me enter the Potomac River Run Marathon last year after the registration closed and I needed a redemption marathon).
Event warmup:

The race had bananas and bagels for breakfast (how many races provide pre-race food?) and Deb and I ate breakfast in the car (I asked her to turn on the heat. she laughed) and putzed around until race start.

Run
  • 1h 44m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I planned on keeping around an 8:00 - 8:05 pace. for the first 10 miles and then let 'er rip from 10 until the finish. I thought I might have a PR in me (flat course, training going well) but wasn't sure if it would happen (no taper).

At the start of the race a lot of people passed me. It did hurt the ego, but I told myself to run my own race and pass people at the end.

thanks to toddler H, I had The Wheels on the Bus stuck in my head for, umm .. approximately 12.754 miles. It was so painful. Hard as I tried I could not get another earworm in there.

Deb drove me home and then James and I dealt with a pukey toddler for the rest of the day. (no worries. he's okay now)

Glamorous.

And I thought I was second in my AG but something in the prelim results was wrong and I GOT FIRST IN MY AG!* FIRST WOMAN 30-39! WHEEEEEEE !

It is so super-duper nice to see mid week medium-length runs and puke inducing sessions on the treadmill pay off. Philly I cannot wait to see you!

Time: 1:44:39
Pace: 7:58/ mile
AG (F30-39): 1/ 21
Overall: 15/ 245

*I realize this was a small race and just barely cracking 1:45 wouldn't get me anywhere near the top in a bigger race, but I'm going to ignore that and keep on feeling like a rockstar.

1 8:01.8
2 8:04.5
3 8:01.5
4 8:05.7
5 8:01.9
6 8:12.7 (GU)
7 7:58.0
8 8:01.2
9 8:03.3
10 8:06.6
11 8:01.2
12 7:58.1
13 7:44.3

What would you do differently?:

Not a damn thing!
Post race
Event comments:

Very well done low key local race.

race report
http://irontrish.blogspot.com/2013/09/abebe-bikila-day-internationa...

Last updated: 2013-05-31 12:00 AM
Running
01:44:39 | 13.1 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/21
Overall: 15/245
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-15 8:17 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: Abebe Bikila Day International Peace Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Abebe Bikila Day International Peace Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Moscow International Peace Marathon

Started by wildcat83
Views: 806 Posts: 2

2009-01-26 12:38 PM louamerica

Connemara International Half Marathon

Started by Tighers
Views: 1837 Posts: 4

2006-03-27 9:46 AM Micawber

Connemara International Marathon- Half Marathon

Started by phoenixazul
Views: 3438 Posts: 19

2006-05-25 11:09 AM evil lizzie

Lisbon International Half-Marathon

Started by bambino
Views: 801 Posts: 1

2005-03-14 1:52 PM bambino

nike international half marathon

Started by shaycahal
Views: 1038 Posts: 1

2004-04-09 12:00 AM shaycahal
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.