United States
63F / 17C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 33m 29s
Overall Rank = 194/287
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/17
Pre-race routine:

This was supposed to be a swim-bike-run sprint but due to lightning and choppy water conditions, it was changed to a duathlon. Basically I tossed all my swim gear in the car and set up for run-bike-run. Had a gu and some nuun+water right before the pre-race meeting.
Event warmup:

None. Kept my rain jacket on until my wave was called to corral.
Run
  • 14m 35s
  • 1.5 kms
  • 09m 43s  min/km
Comments:

Felt like a good, relaxed pace, although I thought it would be faster than 14:35. Still was a good warm up for the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Could have gone a little faster, but have never done a run-bike-run and wasn't sure how much energy to put into the first run.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Ran with gloves on because I forgot to leave them in transition before the meeting (and I wore them because it was rainy and cold). Made transitioning a little faster.

Transition exit to bike course was sectioned off with pylons and the person in front of me didn't leave any space to pass and was going very slowly. Someone behind me was frustrated and just went around the pylons.

Wish I had just ducked out of the pylons and passed this guy, but I'm sure the pylons are there for a safety reason.
Bike
  • 48m 56s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 17.78 mile/hr
Comments:

Did a good bike but was a little conservative on the ride, and way conservative on the turns. Didn't hesitate to pass anyone except that first guy coming out of T1.

With more experience riding in the rain, I would have put in more effort on the bike and not slowed down as much for the corners or even turns.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Good transition considering my feet were soaked and it was not as easy to slip the shoes on and off. Gloves were a little hard to get off since they were wet.

Nothing.
Run
  • 27m 1s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 24s  min/km
Comments:

Sounded like death for most of the run but gave it everything I had. Felt like I was going to barf when I stopped. My fastest 5k to date!

I had a song in my head for the entire race that had a great pace. Then I decided to try a different song, which had positive lyrics, but the pace slowed me. Went back to the first song. Apparently BEP's Let's Get It Started is my jam. Stick with it!
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around talking to cdkayak and our significant others, ate a doughnut, two orange slices, and a slice of pizza. YUM.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Didn't prepare for a run-bike-run, wasn't sure how much to give it for the first run. The wet roads certainly slowed my bike riding.

Event comments:

Great support, well organized, impressed with how smoothly things went even with last minute changes.

Last updated: 2013-09-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:14:35 | 01.5 kms | 09m 43s  min/km
Age Group: 10/17
Overall: 220/287
Performance: Average
9:44 avg pace
Course: Out and back along the original run course, starting from the road by the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:23
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:48:56 | 14.5 miles | 17.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/17
Overall: 205/287
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Rained for the first few miles, but then the rain stopped, but the roads were still wet. Course was flat, roads in pretty good condition.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:31
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:01 | 05 kms | 05m 24s  min/km
Age Group: 7/17
Overall: 194/287
Performance: Good
7:57 min/mile average!
Course: Flat out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-09-22 7:41 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Subject: Wallis Sands Duathlon

2013-09-23 8:28 AM
in reply to: #4861384

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Wallis Sands Duathlon
Way to throw down the 5k! The rain and the odd setup definitely threw me for a loop too. The whole race was a little weird. Next time I'll swing by and say hi. Great race!
2013-09-23 9:14 AM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

PR!  That's awesome, especially AFTER a bike.  Laughing

I particularly liked that you felt like you were going to puke at the end of the run.  Perfectly paced.  Wink

Congrats on dealing with the change on race day.  I know it would have thrown me a little...

Matt

2013-09-24 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4861384

User image

Veteran
Maine
Congratulations on the 5k PR!!

Great to hang out for a while after the race and catch up. Mrs. cdkayak loved your new bike jersey!, she was able to spot you coming further away and have the camera ready. Hope you enjoyed the rest of the day, weather was great all afternoon...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wallis Sands Duathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wallis Sands Sprint Triathlon

Started by fmulcahy
Views: 819 Posts: 1

2011-09-18 8:56 PM fmulcahy

Wallis Sands Half Marathon

Started by wbayek
Views: 2289 Posts: 6

2011-05-05 4:58 PM amschrod

Started by racer267
Views: 911 Posts: 1

2011-03-31 2:40 PM racer267

Started by mjengstrom
Views: 1231 Posts: 1

2010-10-06 3:54 PM mjengstrom

Started by mpento17
Views: 965 Posts: 1

2010-09-28 1:47 PM mpento17
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : June 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
My first duathlon was a success. I had so many fears before the race but none of those fears happened. And when it was all over, I felt I had accomplished something big.
date : December 7, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program should be used for an athlete who is new to duathlon and their goal is to complete a sprint duathlon without difficulty. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who is an experienced duathlete and their goal is to complete a medium distance duathlon without difficulty.

date : December 27, 2004
author : dwilliams
What? This isn't a duathlon?
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was wondering if this is a sensible approach? Should I get "better" on short distance and then move to something longer or do what I want if I feel I can do it whatever the time?"

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.