Georgia MultiSports Productions
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 40m 39s
Overall Rank = 622/922
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 56/69
Pre-race routine:

Went to bed at 10:30. Woke up at 2:00 AM and had a half of a granola bar. Woke up at 4:45 and had the other half of the granola bar and a boiled egg. Drank a bottle of water. I took a shower and then packed up at the hotel to head to the race at 5:30.
Event warmup:

I arrived around 6:00 and started the fairly long walk down to the transition area. I forgot my pump and had to walk back to get it. I got in the transition area around 6:15. Someone racked their bike right on top of me so I had to move down. I laid out my towel as follows (stacked in order listed): Top of the Towel- running singlet, race belt with bib, running shoes, socks rolled up in shoes. Middle of towel- cycling jersey, helmet with straps out, sunglasses inside helmet. Bottom of towel: cycling shoes, socks rolled up inside of shoes.
I strapped my cycling gloves onto my bike handlebars and put 2 gel packs into the outside pockets of my cycling jersey.
Swim
  • 15h 08m
  • 400 yards
  • 3h 47m / 100 yards
Comments:

I stayed to the back at the start, but as soon as the bell sounded I ran to the middle. The splashing caused some panic and I ended up doggie paddling until I regained my composure. After the first big turn I was able to freestyle some and side stroke during my breaths.
What would you do differently?:

I would start a little slower, not running into the water. Gain a bearing first, then start my strokes. I would also practice more in open water, or try closing my eyes except during breaths in a pool. Definitely a lot more open water practices though.
Transition 1
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

I took my time during this first transition. I put on my sunglasses, then set the helmet to the side to get my heart rate monitor and jersey. Then I put on my socks, which took a while because they were compression socks and my feet were damp even after toweling them off. I put on my shoes, then stood up and strapped on my helmet. I walked over the mount line, straddled the bike and took off.

I would find a different pair of socks that are easier to put on, or I would find a pair of shoes that I can wear without socks. I would also swim in a tri shirt that I can wear on the bike.
Bike
  • 48m 3s
  • 13 miles
  • 16.23 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 5 miles seem to be pretty slow for me. I also had a little trouble getting my gloves on while riding. I took 2 gels, one at 5 miles and 1 at 12 miles. My feet went numb around mile 7 for a little while. The hills got me pretty good a couple of times.

I will put my gloves on in the transition area. I will practice riding a little harder during brick workouts to get my legs more accustomed to the workload.
Transition 2
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

I racked the bike on the wrong side and had to walk around the rack to get to my towel. My shoes, helmet, gloves, and heart rate monitor came off pretty easily. I changed socks for the run...a last minute decision. It was fine for this race because I wasn't really "racing", just finishing so comfort was important. I also changed into a running singlet.

I would use some kind of speed laces for my shoes. I would also practice this full transition more often.
Run
  • 29m 59s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m  min/km
Comments:

My stride seemed pretty short for some reason. My back also got sore around mile 1-1.5. My quads began to scream at mile 1.5 until the end. Lengthening my stride seemed to help. My breathing was mostly 4 in and 4 out, with an occasional spurt of 4 in and 5-6 out. I had a good overall pace, which was probably mostly made in the last mile when I really pushed it.

I would learn more about proper running technique. My stride seemed to be slow out of the gate.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around and talked with family for almost all of the post-race. I had a banana and a protein shake from the booths and some water. I needed some kind of procedure to do for my quads, they were on fire!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Physical fitness overall. I could trim 3-4 minutes off of the swim just by being able to freestyle the whole way. The transitions could be shaved by a minute each. I need to get the bike mph closer to 20. My quads were screaming on the run, which hindered my sprint to the finish.

Event comments:

This was a great race, and for my first tri it was perfect. The swim was short, which really helped me to be more confident. I wish they would have been a little more accurate with the description of the bicycle course...unless my version of "relatively flat" is very different from other people!

Last updated: 2013-09-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
15:08:00 | 400 yards | 3h 47m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/69
Overall: 0/922
Performance: Below average
Suit: LG Tri Shorts
Course: Out and back, beach start.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:08
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:48:03 | 13 miles | 16.23 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Avg. Heart rate = 149, Max HR= 173
Wind: Little
Course: The course was pretty hilly. It said it was flat on the website, but it wasn't close to being flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:24
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:29:59 | 05 kms | 06m  min/km
Performance: Average
Mile 1 was pretty slow pace.
Course: The course was pretty hilly for the run as well.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-30 11:56 AM

Subject: Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon (Emerald Pointe Triathlon)

Started by CourtneyM
Views: 2043 Posts: 5

2009-10-05 10:06 AM nealphelps

Started by skigator93
Views: 1652 Posts: 2

2009-10-05 6:07 AM Mrs. brown_dog_us

Started by FALLS-RUNNER
Views: 2343 Posts: 4

2009-10-06 3:34 PM autigers_1998

Started by zaichikmiller
Views: 2056 Posts: 6

2009-10-06 2:10 PM nealphelps

Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon Festivals (My First Triathlon, My Next Triathlon)

Started by JBD
Views: 1341 Posts: 1

2007-05-14 8:13 PM JBD
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.