United States
Hartford Marathon Foundation
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 09m 56s
Overall Rank = 16/363
Age Group = M2529
Age Group Rank = 3/13
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4:50, made coffee and bagels, put the bikes on the rack and left at 5:30. Got to the race site in what seemed like plenty of time, but still felt rushed getting everything together. Maybe it was because it was my first race of the season and I forgot how to do everything.
Event warmup:

Not much time for warm up. I had a Gu, went in the water to swim, but the director was on the bullhorn telling everyone to get out for instructions. I stretched a little bit in the corral waiting to start. Noticed my wetsuit has a tear in the crotch.
Swim
  • 15m 14s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

My navigation from the corner back to shore was poor. I almost ran into a lifeguard on a kayak and then over corrected and swam the other direction.
What would you do differently?:

Sight more often after the turn.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Normal transition, not fast, but I remembered to put everything on and buckle my helmet this year. Had some trouble getting my glasses on straight while running with my bike.

I should try to leave my shoes in the bike. The start of the bike is on an incline and would make it much easier to mount.
Bike
  • 30m 40s
  • 11.3 miles
  • 22.11 mile/hr
Comments:

Awesome ride. I made up a lot of the time I lost on the swim, passed a bunch of people and felt good to start running. I forced myself to drink most of my bottle of Gatorade, even though I wasn't thirsty, but knew it would help on the run.

Not much except I forgot to pick up my Gu in T1 and planed to have it on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Dismount area is on a decline. Needed to stop completely to avoid killing myself.

Running in the bike shoes sucks. I'll practice taking my feet out of the shoes while moving one of these days.
Run
  • 20m 47s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 06m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I was passed in transition by a guy that I recognized as a fast runner from another race I knew I couldn't catch him. The next person behind me was a ways back, and he never closed the distance. I probably could have moved quicker if there was someone to run with, but I was all alone and feeling little pressure.

Could have pushed harder, but didn't see the point since no one was near. Maybe if I had my HR monitor on, that would have shown me that I was slacking. I found out that the 2nd place guy in my age group was in a different wave. If I was running near him, I might have been able to beat him.
Post race
Warm down:

Heard that Danielle wasn't wearing her race number, so ran up to transition to get it. Ran back to the bluff and talked to one of the volunteers as I waited to give her the number.
Ate the Dunkin Donuts smooties, donuts, fruit, Panera bread sticks and whatever else I could find. Saw the results and waited to get my award!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim was slow conpared to the field, but not my age group. I could make up a couple minutes there and a couple more on the run. My bike is probably maxed out, I was only 90 seconds from the second place guy.

Event comments:

Great race and venue. Will come back to see if I can break the top ten.

Last updated: 2006-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:14 | 880 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/13
Overall: 55/363
Performance: Average
Suit: Performance
Course: L shaped out from one beach to the next. There were jellyfish in the water, I scooped on out before the race with my transition bucket and dumped it in the woods.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:44
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:30:40 | 11.3 miles | 22.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 15/363
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: The course is mostly flat with one long hill on Bridebrook road that increases in grade until the top. The two big downhills don't help much since there are sharp turns at the bottoms. I used to live in Waterford and this was my normal training ride, so it like a home field advantage for me.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:47 | 03.4 miles | 06m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/13
Overall: 24/363
Course: Starts down a steep hill then goes through mostly level neighborhood. The end is on a trail over a bluff and finishes on the sand for 200 yards. The course is a net downhill, which is probably why all my fastest run times are at this race.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes