General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to Texas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-02 7:57 PM

Subject: New to Texas
Hey yall! After 8 years of living outside the great state of Texas, I've finally moved home....sort of. I grew up in the Dallas area but find myself in Houston now. To be exact, I am in the Webster/Friendswood area. I used to train a lot more than I do now. In addition to our cross country move (came from MI), my wife and I have a recent addition to the family (3 month old little girl )

Anyway, I'm looking to get back into it. I've put on a few pounds with the stress of moving, and I am unfamiliar on where a good place to swim or bike. Where I was I had a nice 30 mile (one way) rail trail that I could bike on without worries. Here, I am completely nervous riding on roads mainly. I also would like to meet people who are into tri's and such.

Anyone around this area?

2013-10-02 8:32 PM
in reply to: fuzzy34

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: New to Texas

I'm in League City, so not far from Webster.  We have a good Master's group that swims at The Fitness Center (five sessions a week, many triathletes).  For open water swimming, there are a few lakes (Twin Lakes, 288) that people frequent often.  

For riding, I do a lot on the trainer during the week, but on the weekends, I like to get out early and try to beat the traffic.  I head out to various FM roads toward Alvin generally.  There are group rides (with triathletes) as well, but I don't do them too often.

2013-10-15 7:05 PM
in reply to: fuzzy34

Subject: RE: New to Texas
Check out the Space City Cycling group. They are on Facebook, also. They have a great group every Saturday and throughout the week of rides with various skill levels. On Saturday rides, they split the total group into smaller, sub-groups based on speed (you choose which group to go in). I believe groups range from 18mph - 23+ mph.

Fear of riding on the roads, especially in Houston, is normal. Riding with a group is a lot safer and will allow you to network at the same time. Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to Texas Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

FYI- $199 Early Registration for Texas 70.3 & New Orleans 70.3

Started by spuphal
Views: 1680 Posts: 9

2011-06-17 12:14 PM bstauffer12

New Bike Shop - North Texas Bikes

Started by bradleyd3
Views: 1065 Posts: 4

2009-11-30 11:03 AM Big_D

New Tri- North Texas / Sept. 13 Pages: 1 2

Started by spuphal
Views: 2406 Posts: 27

2009-09-14 6:29 PM spuphal

Pretty new in Katy, Texas

Started by tank
Views: 881 Posts: 3

2008-05-05 9:56 AM mkmbharris

New Texas BTer

Started by CitySky
Views: 832 Posts: 4

2006-12-01 9:06 AM Nette213
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : April 15, 2010
author : CobbCycling
comments : 2
In this article, we are going to explore air movements over and around the front end of a bike and rider. We will examine how air affects these frontal areas.

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.
date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
2004 Product reviews for stability shoes for neutral foot types

date : August 31, 2004
GILFORD, New Hampshire (August 23, 2004) – After thunderous, heavy rains on Saturday challenged sprint triathletes to middle-distance-like efforts, Sunday’s middle-distance Timberman Triathlon (1.9 km