United States
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 52m 54s
Overall Rank = 4/237
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Up and out the door a little before 6 for the hour long drive.
Event warmup:

After setting up transition I ran the first run loop, getting in some strides at race pace.
Run
  • 11m 7s
  • 2 miles
  • 05m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

This actually went a little better than expected, and my time was faster than the other two times I've done this race. Without doing any real speed work (other than strides at the end of a run) since the spring, I was fine with my placing after the 1st run. I knew that the two guys I was gunning for (Jesse Kropelnicki and Barry Phelps, who was AG Nat'l Champ in 45-49 in 2012 at Burlington, VT) were a good minute ahead of me, so my work was cut out on the short bike.

I'm always amazed at how fast most people go out in most running races, almost always much faster than their ability level. I settled into a pace of around 5:40 for the first downhill mile, yet I was around 25th place after half a mile. By the 1 mile mark I had passed about half of those folks, and I passed another 5-6 over the last portion of the run. Pacing people - learn how to do it!
Transition 1
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Took a few moments extra strapping on my helmet.
Bike
  • 25m 31s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 24.69 mile/hr
Comments:

It took me a minute to get up to speed and into my shoes, costing me a little time. With a steady light rain falling, I knew I'd have to be careful on the turns.

The first mile or two had a few turns, and I wasn't able to really settle into my goal of around 320 watts until around mile 2. At that point I'd passed two guys, but knew there were still 5-6 people in front of me.

Over the remainder of the bike I was able to pass all but the two guys I was aiming for, Jesse Kropelnicki and Barry Phelps. Jesse ended up biking 5 seconds slower than me and Barry was about 35 seconds slower. Knowing they were both better runners, I knew I'd by trying to hold 3rd on the run.

I ended up at 314 watts avg for the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 33s
Comments:

Pretty quick here. I could see Jesse and Barry heading out on the run as I got to T2.
Run
  • 15m 2s
  • 2.35 miles
  • 06m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

I just wasn't able to settle into the same pace as on the 1st run. I'm pretty sure it was due to a lack of fast running over the past several months. My IM training built my endurance up, but that short course speed wasn't there.

I ended up getting passed by one guy around the 1.5 mile mark, and he crossed the finish about 25 seconds ahead of me.

Two years ago I was around 30 seconds faster on this 2nd run. However my placing on the two runs was pretty consistent - 8th and 9th overall combined with the fastest bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted with Jesse, who is the QT2 founder and head coach. He's headed out to Kona on Tuesday to see his 6 pro athletes race. I wish I could pick his brain - he's quite knowledgeable when it comes to triathlon and coaching. I grabbed some food and waited around for awards, which were only a generic medal.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No speed work at 5k pace over the past several months except for some strides thrown in at the end of easy runs.

Event comments:

Now it's time to slowly build up the running mileage so I can start marathon training for Boston some time in late November.

Last updated: 2013-09-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:11:07 | 02 miles | 05m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 8/237
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 179
Course: Triangle - 1st part downhill, 2nd part uphill - also not quite 2 miles
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:25:31 | 10.5 miles | 24.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/237
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 170
Wind: Some
Course: Loop with some turns that were pretty sharp, and required slowing in the rain
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 86
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:15:02 | 02.35 miles | 06m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 9/237
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 174
Course: Another loop, first half downhill, 2nd half back uphill
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-10-07 6:04 AM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Subject: Scituate Duathlon

2013-10-07 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4872022

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Scituate Duathlon
Nice! You're racing against some pretty fast dudes there.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Scituate Duathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Scituate Duathlon

Started by brendanc007
Views: 936 Posts: 1

2011-10-16 11:18 AM brendanc007

Scituate Duathlon

Started by jackandmax
Views: 1009 Posts: 1

2010-10-18 10:20 PM jackandmax

Scituate Duathlon

Started by jammers
Views: 1305 Posts: 2

2010-10-20 9:00 AM fungi32

Scituate Duathlon

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 1220 Posts: 2

2010-10-18 3:58 PM Triheado

Scituate Duathlon

Started by jammers
Views: 1089 Posts: 1

2009-10-18 7:08 AM jammers
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
My first duathlon was a success. I had so many fears before the race but none of those fears happened. And when it was all over, I felt I had accomplished something big.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program should be used for an athlete who is new to duathlon and their goal is to complete a sprint duathlon without difficulty. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who is an experienced duathlete and their goal is to complete a medium distance duathlon without difficulty.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was wondering if this is a sensible approach? Should I get "better" on short distance and then move to something longer or do what I want if I feel I can do it whatever the time?"

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.