Dirt Devil Racing
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 45m 8s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The race is 2 hours from my place, so my pre-race routine consisted of me waking up at 4:00, drinking a smoothie, and then driving forever.
Event warmup:

Got to the race site, picked up my packet, then went back to my car to put my shoes on. I was going to warm up, but I also had to pee and there were only 6 porta-potties for 400 people, so the line was pretty long. Stood at the start line waiting for the first wave to go off (I was wave 2) and trying to stay warm.
Run
  • 1h 45m 8s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

The first 4.5mi were relatively flat, a few rollers here and there but nothing major. At that point you come to a hill which is about 360' of climbing at a 7% grade. There were a lot of people walking up the hill, so I was passing people pretty regularly. I started to get worried that I was spending way more energy than I should have going up the hill but I figured that I would just deal with that later. My pace slowed from 7:40/mi in the first 4.5mi to about 9:30/mi up the hill, so not too terrible. Then came the downhill, this was about 280' of downhill at about the same grade. Lots of people were putting on the brakes hard so I was passing them like crazy. I think that most of the downhill I was doing 5:50-6:00/mi, basically just slow enough to not trip myself up and eat shit running down. Finished the last 0.6mi to the turnaround (relatively flat) and started back. Going back up the shorter hill was tough, but not impossible. I think my pace slowed to the low 9:XX/mi on this hill, so I was still passing a fair amount of walkers. Again, the thought crossed my mind that maybe these people are all smart for walking. I figured, at that point, that I only had 5mi to go once I got to the top of the hill and could pretty much coast it in from there. Maybe not the best strategy, considering it is still almost half the race, but it worked out fine in the end. Cruised down the hill at a pretty good pace (probably low 6:XX/mi) and then hit the flats. At that point I started feeling my legs pretty good. The turnover seemed much harder but my pace wasn't slipping so I was fine with it. The last two miles I tried to kick in a bit harder but I felt like I couldn't get my legs to turnover any faster. Ultimately, I ended up shaving ~10s/mi off in those last two miles, but it didn't feel like I was going any faster (felt slower actually). I crossed the finish line and just came to a complete stop. My legs felt like they still needed to move but I wasn't having any of that from them. They are mine and they will do as I command.

This was my first ever standalone half marathon and I feel like I had did pretty well for my fitness/running level. I was thinking I would come in closer to 2 hr due to the hills and the fact that I haven't run a HM other than in Vineman, but I beat that by quite a bit.

When I crossed the finish line, I heard that the guy that won did it in 1:18...WTF, who runs trails at sub-6 pace? That is crazy, I need that guys legs.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, paced it pretty evenly with about a 2 min negative split. So I can't really complain.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal and then walked over to the curb to stretch. Stretched for about 10 minutes before heading to my car to make the long trek back. They were having an after race party but it was in SD which was another 30 min south so I would have been driving all day to get home if I had gone. I stopped by a gas station on the way out and grabbed some super delicious red vines.

I should have grabbed some chocolate milk. Chocolate milk is so delicious and is a great recovery drink. I love chocolate milk and even scientists agree that chocolate milk is great for rebuilding muscles. Chocolate milk cholcolate milk, chocolate milk chocolate milk chocolate milk. Chocolate milk chocolate milk chocolate milk chocolate milk. CHOCOLATE MILK. (just watched Kona, and learned that chocolate milk is apparently the best thing EVAR).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limited training. I haven't actually done run longer than about 9 miles since Vineman (so July-ish). Wasn't really training for this race as it's the off-season and I signed up for it on a whim.

Event comments:

There were three aid stations on this race (one being at the turnaround), so essentially you had 5 chances to get water/electrolyte from the course. I didn't use any of them, but they seemed to be well stocked and the volunteers seemed to be doing a good job.

I gave them a below average on race activities because there was not food/drink at the finish line (aside from water). That said, I probably wouldn't have eaten it anyways since most races seem to do pizza. So anyone reading this should probably take this with a grain of salt coming from me.

Overall this was a good race. The organizers were pretty efficient and got everything moving within a minute or two of when they had originally planned.

Last updated: 2013-10-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:45:08 | 13.1 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-10-14 11:46 AM

Subject: Raptor Ridge Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Raptor Ridge Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Heartbreak Ridge Half Marathon

Started by froglegs
Views: 2056 Posts: 5

2008-09-18 7:11 PM KathyG

Sandy Ridge Half Marathon & 10K

Started by ohiost90
Views: 987 Posts: 1

2008-04-21 8:02 AM ohiost90

Cross Ridge Community Hospital Midsouth Marathon & Half Marathon

Started by ccollins2
Views: 945 Posts: 1

2006-11-10 10:08 AM ccollins2

Skyline Ridge Half-Marathon

Started by can_80_n
Views: 822 Posts: 1

2005-05-05 4:34 PM can_80_n

Skyline Ridge Half Marathon

Started by mfabry
Views: 819 Posts: 1

2005-04-24 10:56 PM mfabry
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.