General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does icing help speed the heeling process? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-14 6:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Subject: Does icing help speed the heeling process?

I have been wondering this lately.  I tend to be lazy about icing my aches and pains. Mostly, I think this is because I feel that it just has a temporary effect of decreasing pain.  Certainly I think it important for acute injuries with swelling but what about nagging aches and pains.  Anyone know?

2013-10-14 6:39 PM
in reply to: desertchica

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Does icing help speed the heeling process?

I was going to write something, but found an explanation that expressed my understanding of the thoughts about icing as I understand them:

The ice bath is thought to:

• Constrict blood vessels and flush waste products out of the affected tissues
  • Decrease metabolic activity and slow down physiological processes
  • Reduce swilling and tissue breakdown
  • With rewarming, the increased blood flow speeds circulation, and in turn, improves the healing process.

I rarely do them.  Only after very long runs and/or bikes.  I almost think post workout massage is even more beneficial to me - or least seems to be the case after races compared to the times I don't get them.  I'm a fan of long workout/post workout compression as well.

2013-10-16 7:54 PM

User image

I completed my first marathon two weeks ago. My longest run before that was 16 miles so when I got to 18/20 and beyond I was in some pretty good pain. At the end my knees and feet were not my friends. I sat in cold bath and then dumped in 20lbs of ice, sat for 20 minutes. The next day I have very little pain if any.

IMO the key to an ice bath is approach. I sit in an empty tub and fill it with cool water slowly turning it colder and colder until it is only cold water. Then once the water is covering my thighs I dump in the ice. I sit in it 15 minutes or until its all melted.

Love the no soreness feeling later in the day and espically the next day.
2013-10-16 8:55 PM
in reply to: Dub_Z

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
It's definitely the best part of the cup cake
2013-10-17 7:34 AM
in reply to: #4877026

As a PT I have used ice baths on myself and clients for years to aid recovery. They do work, but as Kido mentioned, you may find other recovery modalities like massage and compression to be equally or more helpful.

For me personally, when I know a lot of muscle soreness is on the way, nothing helps as much as the ice bath. It still seems like magic! I've found that 10-20 minutes is enough....over 20 doesn't seem to be as productive. I usually wear my cycling or running shorts into the tub to protect the.....er....tender bits, and will even throw on a fleece jacket to keep from shivering too much.

One thought on why/how it works is not the that it stops the inflammatory process (after all, some inflammation is good and necessary for healing) but that it speeds it along because the cool provides a better environment for the enzymes, hormones, macrophages, etc to do their work.

Good luck!
2013-10-17 7:48 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
ice is a great antiinflammatory
does not damage your kidneys like nsaids and gets to where needed

2013-10-17 8:07 AM
in reply to: TriToy

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Pete Magill says (regarding running):

Icing is the silver bullet that makes our sport possible. We need to ice each and every sore spot that could potentially progress to injury. And we need to begin our icing within 15 minutes after completing our run. This is truly a case of a stitch in time saving nine.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does icing help speed the heeling process? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Speed Tunnel - Anyone done this?

Started by cwpeters
Views: 498 Posts: 2

2012-05-29 10:34 PM jaelinfunk

Running on ice - help improve form?

Started by Climbinggonzo
Views: 1314 Posts: 19

2011-12-30 11:23 PM faded_memories

How much ice in your ice bath

Started by strates
Views: 13791 Posts: 16

2013-05-30 10:55 AM MikeK_PA

Running Help !! how to increase my speed

Started by Tring at 44
Views: 1071 Posts: 8

2006-07-22 6:20 AM RedCorvette

Urgent Speed training help needed

Started by billypb
Views: 1044 Posts: 13

2005-06-07 11:36 PM gocorey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 15, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 6
Over the past couple of months I've been waking up with a sore heel. Right in the center, it feels like I stepped on a pebble and bruised it. The pain, fairly minor, goes away as the day progresses.

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : November 23, 2009
comments : 0
I suffer from pain in the bottom of my left heel after my run. It doesn't hurt when I run but as the day goes on the pain worsens.

date : June 23, 2009
The whole bottoms of my feet hurt these days. Been running for a number of years now and this is a first. Do you have any tips?
date : December 11, 2007
I have had chronic Achilles tendonitis problems for a good portion of my life. I am wondering if this can ever go away, or if there is a surgery that can be done?

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : April 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
By incorporating progressive, gradual, and quantifiable training, you will not only get faster, you will reduce your risk of injury.

date : April 9, 2005
If I start back training too soon will I cause more damage or will I just stop the healing process? How long should it take for the muscle to heal completely?