Other Resources The Political Joe » The most shocking thing in the last two weeks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-16 9:10 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: The most shocking thing in the last two weeks
In two weeks of abhorrent behavior by both sides, the House vote to suspend the right for ANY Member to call for a vote makes my stomach hurt. On October 1. I weep for our country. Consider what you would think of ANOTHER nation doing this.

(Sidebar: When parliamentary procedure interferes with the progress, it may be time to simplify).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jd-iaYLO1A

2013-10-16 9:49 AM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: RE: The most shocking thing in the last two weeks

Originally posted by pga_mike In two weeks of abhorrent behavior by both sides, the House vote to suspend the right for ANY Member to call for a vote makes my stomach hurt. On October 1. I weep for our country. Consider what you would think of ANOTHER nation doing this. (Sidebar: When parliamentary procedure interferes with the progress, it may be time to simplify). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jd-iaYLO1A

Just as an aside, this kind of crap happens by both sides.  I find it abhorrent that it is done but it isn't the first time.  unfortunately. 

2013-10-16 11:08 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by crowny2

Originally posted by pga_mike In two weeks of abhorrent behavior by both sides, the House vote to suspend the right for ANY Member to call for a vote makes my stomach hurt. On October 1. I weep for our country. Consider what you would think of ANOTHER nation doing this. (Sidebar: When parliamentary procedure interferes with the progress, it may be time to simplify). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jd-iaYLO1A

Just as an aside, this kind of crap happens by both sides.  I find it abhorrent that it is done but it isn't the first time.  unfortunately. 

I agree. What is democratic about this?
2013-10-16 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Using parliamentary tricks to gain a political advantage?

Sounds a bit like using reconciliation to pass major legislation.

Personally, I find both instances ridiculous.
2013-10-16 8:38 PM
in reply to: uclamatt2007

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by uclamatt2007 Using parliamentary tricks to gain a political advantage? Sounds a bit like using reconciliation to pass major legislation. Personally, I find both instances ridiculous.

I'm sure Mike had a similar thread on reconciliation.  ;-)

btw, I agree that the tricks are stupid.  I hate it when both sides do it.  If your law sucks too much to get passed and you have to resort to procedural tricks or buying off senators <cornhusker kickback cough> then it shouldn't be passed.

Same goes for blocking legislation that does have enough votes to get passed which I'm guessing was likely the case with the current shutdown.

2013-10-16 8:44 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by uclamatt2007 Using parliamentary tricks to gain a political advantage? Sounds a bit like using reconciliation to pass major legislation. Personally, I find both instances ridiculous.

btw, I agree that the tricks are stupid.  I hate it when both sides do it.  If your law sucks too much to get passed and you have to resort to procedural tricks or buying off senators then it shouldn't be passed.

Same goes for blocking legislation that does have enough votes to get passed which I'm guessing was likely the case with the current shutdown.

/facepalm

McConnell-Reid Deal Includes $3 Billion Earmark for Kentucky Project

Language in a draft of the McConnell-Reid deal (see page 13, section 123) provided to WFPL News shows a provision that increases funding for the massive Olmsted Dam Lock in Paducah, Ky., from $775 million to nearly $2.9 billion.

So much for a "clean bill" to fund the government.  OK, now I'm ticked at the Democrats for agreeing to yet another kickback.

2013-10-16 9:01 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

btw, I agree that the tricks are stupid.  I hate it when both sides do it.  If your law sucks too much to get passed and you have to resort to procedural tricks or buying off senators then it shouldn't be passed.

/facepalm

McConnell-Reid Deal Includes $3 Billion Earmark for Kentucky Project

Language in a draft of the McConnell-Reid deal (see page 13, section 123) provided to WFPL News shows a provision that increases funding for the massive Olmsted Dam Lock in Paducah, Ky., from $775 million to nearly $2.9 billion.

So much for a "clean bill" to fund the government.  OK, now I'm ticked at the Democrats for agreeing to yet another kickback.

McConnell is from Kentucky......capisce? I also heard (but not confirmed) that the bill include a vote to not raise the debt ceiling essentially requiring a 2/3rds veto proof vote to keep the question of the debt ceiling in the House which essential gives the purse strings to the President.

Our GOP Senate leader sold us out for $2.1 billion. I can't type hear what I think of him since it is a family form.

2013-10-16 10:00 PM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
I heard a comedian once say that every bill should include $50k for the Special Olympics. Then if you oppose the bill, your opponent could say, "what, you don't want to support the Special Olympics?"
2013-10-17 4:28 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by pga_mike I heard a comedian once say that every bill should include $50k for the Special Olympics. Then if you oppose the bill, your opponent could say, "what, you don't want to support the Special Olympics?"

Sadly, this isn't a joke.  This is exactly what the majority of politicians do regularly, regardless of their party affiliation.

Our whole system is broken beyond repair at this point.  It's disheartening.  

2013-10-17 11:47 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by pga_mike I heard a comedian once say that every bill should include $50k for the Special Olympics. Then if you oppose the bill, your opponent could say, "what, you don't want to support the Special Olympics?"

Sadly, this isn't a joke.  This is exactly what the majority of politicians do regularly, regardless of their party affiliation.

Our whole system is broken beyond repair at this point.  It's disheartening.   

^ ^ ^ x2 ^ ^ ^

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » The most shocking thing in the last two weeks Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Things shutdown that don't make sense....

Started by djdavey
Views: 651 Posts: 2

2013-10-04 8:04 AM DanielG

ACA could effectively give you a weeks paid vacation!

Started by uclamatt2007
Views: 980 Posts: 3

2013-10-02 7:52 AM Sous
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 23, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
The cause of the sleeplessness could be anxiety to get out and compete but more often than not the inability to sleep is a fear of what might happen, of what might go bump out on the race course.

date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?
date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.

date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.
date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.

date : July 2, 2006
author : Ontherun
Gut check! Striking a balance between your two loves can make and keep the relationship strong.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
Here’s a couple of tactics that I have found VERY helpful when it comes to my early morning workouts…hopefully, at least one of them will work for you too!

date : October 2, 2005
author : tgurl
comments : 1
”Everyone can swim; show me what you can do.” She watched, I emerged and she said, “Oh! You really can't swim!”