www.fsseries.com
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 17m 4s
Overall Rank = 12/225
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 3/30
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, ate a peanut butter and banana sandwich and had a cup of coffee. Totally wasn't feeling speedy today.
Event warmup:

Walked to the race start around 8ish, hung out with my folks for a few minutes (they were manning the main aid station), did a very short jog with Marshall, working in some skips, shuffles, and other moves to loosen up my legs a little, then Lainey and I just chilled out at the start line area. Probably the least prep I've ever given to a race.
Run
  • 1h 17m 4s
  • 10 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

2 nasty falls, first one at about mile 2, tripped on a root. Recovered and didn't lose a position, but it took the wind out of my sails for sure. It is due to failing eyesight, as I never even saw the root that threw me down. 2nd fall was just past the mile 7.2 aid station, went down hard, but popped right back up.

I walked quite a bit during this race. Walked some of the big uphill to the Summit, then again after mile 8 on the big uphills. The walking pushed me back to 3rd easily from 1st, but my goal was a podium finish, and this is good enough.
What would you do differently?:

More hill work. The hills really zapped me. This training block I've been plagued with hamstring and calf issues, and that limited me Saturday.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished the race, checked the results, then popped back onto the course at mile 7.2ish and waited for Lainey to come through. She came by shortly thereafter, and I ran the last ~3 miles of her race with her. She made over 25 passes for overall position in those closing miles! I gave her the confidence to push, and helped her know when to walk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills. Eyesight.

Event comments:

Love Medoc. It will be on my 2014 calendar, either Spring or Fall race, or maybe both.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-06-30 12:00 AM
Running
01:17:04 | 10 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/30
Overall: 12/225
Performance: Average
Course: Rooty. Rocky. Rolling. A few steep ascents, some nice long descents. And the rocks and roots seem to grow as the course goes along.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-10-21 9:50 AM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: Medoc Trail Marathon and 10 miler

2013-10-21 3:27 PM
in reply to: #4881099

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: RE: Medoc Trail Marathon and 10 miler
Nice race Bill! Yeah, eyesight comes in handy on trails! :-)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Medoc Trail Marathon and 10 miler Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Medoc Trail Marathon

Started by fgump
Views: 1466 Posts: 2

2011-10-16 8:28 PM louiskie

American Tobacco Trail 10-Miler

Started by mamix0ye
Views: 916 Posts: 2

2010-10-31 6:34 AM fgump

American Tobacco Trail 10 Miler

Started by fgump
Views: 1162 Posts: 1

2009-10-24 2:01 PM fgump

American Tobacco Trail 10 Miler

Started by fgump
Views: 1352 Posts: 2

2008-10-25 12:17 PM kapinto

American Tobacco Trail 10 miler

Started by Havin'Fun
Views: 958 Posts: 1

2008-04-14 12:48 PM Havin'Fun
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix
date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.
date : October 24, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
Discussions on keeping heart-rate down on hills, the fat burning zone, lactate threshold (LT) testing, max trainer hours, high HR on the run/walk, the 10% rule and different running workouts.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.