Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » What are people doing for the next 6 months Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-28 4:46 PM

User image

Subject: What are people doing for the next 6 months
After recovering from running the 'Run for the Toad' (October 5,2013) and a busy triathlon season, I find myself unsure of what to do for maintenance over the winter

I cross train as much as I can but no structure - trying to make it fun until January

I will mountain bike as long as the trails are not frozen

As for most of us in Southern Ontario race season will start late May

Feel free to share you wealth of knowledge

Thanks in advance

Jean

2013-12-04 8:54 AM
in reply to: JTTRIHRD

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: What are people doing for the next 6 months
I needed some recovery after a fall marathon, so I signed up for a handful of shorter gimmicky & not necessarily chip timed fun runs so I'd stay in the habit of running a bit.... while having a blast doing it!
(so far so good)

apart from that (& sticking with an informal 3 x a week running habit), I swim twice a week with my masters group
& I'm just about to incorporate a weekly computrainer ride to make an HONEST attempt to acquire some cycling legs!
(far & away my weak spot)

I like it... b/c it involves a mix of indoor (swimming & cycling) + outdoor (running) activities.

and it's enough to keep me going til the new year so I can properly train for my usual favourite late-winter/early-spring races

but I am NO expert!

just my $0.02
2013-12-04 12:31 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
I have a couple of winter events booked to avoid dropping off the planet completely.

Grimsby Family Day run (Subaru Series). Not sure about 10k or HM yet.

Then my 15k part of the Around the Bay (relay) at the end of March.

Both booked to force me to keep some running miles going.

Got a LS 9.9 indoor bike in the black friday weekend deals and hope to put a lot of miles on it with the aim of working out even in the worst weather and also putting in some longer fat burning sessions and coming out of the winter trimmer.

Will keep swimming weekly but am going to swap with my wife (one week her, the next me) going to an open swim coach session at our local pool. my wife went this week and she said she got a ton of advice and was coached through some drills. So I hope to finish the winter having had 10 or so of these group lessons and having tuned up my crawl a bit.
2013-12-04 2:16 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Elite
Ontario

I'll keep training volume similar to the summer, with the exception of the long ride.  2.5+ hours on the trainer is just no fun.  Otherwise I'll aim to run about 4x per week, follow a structured ride program (but only about 3x per week), and swim 3-4x per week.  Planning on doing the Chilly Half which will keep me focused for the next 12 weeks.

2013-12-04 7:27 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario
I'm just running right now, planning the peterborough half marathon in Feb. and the Ottawa half marathon in May.
2013-12-06 3:39 PM
in reply to: cathyd

User image

Thank you guys for the input - I was starting to wonder that my peeps were really going underground this time of year

Since the TOAD - been struggling with a hip and heel issue - so being laying low

Still swimming twice per week and some spin classes / trainer ride... basement staring to smell like LA Fitness in Burlington - NOT NICE

Trying to run more (when I get better) as this is the only place I lack speed - run focused for me this off-season

Already mapped out the 2014 races and will definitely do the new races for both Multi-Sport and Subaru and the new XTERRA Serie in Ontario through
ELEMENT RACING; need to keep it interesting with type of races / terrain etc.

Thanks again for your input and see you all very soon...

Jean

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » What are people doing for the next 6 months Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cobourg / Colborne tri people

Started by mgalanter
Views: 917 Posts: 2

2012-07-13 5:40 AM Daffodil

Moving to Ottawa for 2 months

Started by lobsteriffic
Views: 1459 Posts: 9

2010-07-28 4:48 PM lobsteriffic

Toronto Area people

Started by ff_jeff
Views: 1792 Posts: 8

2010-04-19 1:11 PM GoFaster

USED Ladies Tri Bike - I am looking!

Started by tabbs
Views: 1361 Posts: 10

2010-04-26 10:30 AM Silver_wlf

OWS - June 7th 6:30 AM - Stop 26 - Windsor

Started by ff_jeff
Views: 720 Posts: 5

2009-06-06 11:41 AM ff_jeff
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 27, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
We often forget the Other, that person or persons living behind the doors of our individual hubris, that secreted cheerleader who polishes our medals but never wins one of their own.

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : June 22, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Will you will finish your next triathlon swim strong, or will you run out of steam before you even start the majority of your race?

date : August 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.