Team Ortho Foundation
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 56m 8s
Overall Rank = 675/3555
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 170/780
Pre-race routine:

got up early and got dressed, went to put on my socks and noticed Boston had chewed a massive hole in one of them! BUMMER! So I had to wear cotton socks for the first time running in like, 10+ years! (but it ended up being fine.) Drove to the Science museum (ate a waffle on the way) to park and as i was on the hill i could see the traffic jam trying to get in so I jsut decided to pay the 10 bucks and park in the little lot on the right side of that hill road (forgot the name of that hill off Kellog that brings you down...) Anyway, that worked out great! Called Mike, met up at the Holliday in on the way up to the start. Drank my spark and ate a gu about 15 min before then waited in line. There were HUGE traffic jams so they delayed the start by 10 min It was alittle chilly, but I had a plastic bag so it was ok. Chitchatted with Mike and new friends until the start. Tons of fun costumes :)
Run
  • 1h 56m 8s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Ugh. this could have been a fast day, but it wasn't. Started off good, the first 4 miles or so is down hill, then it's pretty flat until the last few miles. I was at a good 8:30 pace, but i was feeling it. I was able to tkeep that pace until about 10 miles, then I jsut lost all energy. And running into that crazy wind didn't help. It was a rough last 3 miles, I couldn't make my legs go ANY faster! At least there were cool costumes to keep my mind off the suck. My goal was to finish in 1:51, and I ended up a whole 4 SECONDS slower then last weeks half marathon and it felt WAY worse. But I guess you need bad runs to make you appreciate the good ones even more. Next year, I'm going to train for this and rock it! It was a fun day non-the-less :) Cold, but fun!
What would you do differently?:

train.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through the finish shoot and collected my stuff, walked to my car and drove home

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. The only running I've been doing since Ironman is long runs on weekends, Not the best idea.

Event comments:

Team ortho does a good job. I think some people were annoyed at the delay, but I didn't mind, and I bet the people stuck in the traffic jams were thankful!

Last updated: 2013-10-29 12:00 AM
Running
01:56:08 | 13.1 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/780
Overall: 0/3555
Performance:
Course: The 2013 Half Marathon and 10-Mile Monster Dash is in St. Paul this year! Combined with the beautiful fall foliage, the start of the race is spectacular! It begins at the picturesque Cathedral of St. Paul that overlooks the city. Participants will run downhill (an end total of 400 vertical feet) along the tree-lined course on historic Summit Avenue and finish in Downtown St. Paul at the Mighty Mississippi. The chip-timed race is USATF certified.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-10-29 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI
Subject: Monster Dash Half Marathon

2013-10-31 7:50 AM
in reply to: #4887609

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Monster Dash Half Marathon

Nicely done!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Monster Dash Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Monster Dash Half-Marathon

Started by sbeaudette
Views: 911 Posts: 1

2010-03-17 8:18 PM sbeaudette

Started by xelar2
Views: 980 Posts: 1

2009-11-03 9:31 AM xelar2

Started by harveyskees
Views: 1020 Posts: 1

2009-11-02 4:47 PM harveyskees

Started by F4rword
Views: 1192 Posts: 1

2009-10-31 4:46 PM F4rword

Started by johns567
Views: 1290 Posts: 1

2008-10-25 1:24 PM johns567
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.