General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Qualified...Very Excited but have questions.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-11-01 9:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Subject: Qualified...Very Excited but have questions....

So i did the Rev3 HIM in South Carolina a few weeks ago as I know a few others here did as well.  So it was the USAT Long Course National Championship Race and was a qualifying race for Team USA.  Top 20 of my age group qualify, I was fortunate enough to be #19.  I was very happy with the way the race went and was a HIM PR time for me.  So a couple days ago I received an email saying I have been chosen to help represent Team USA in the 2014 ITU World Championship in Weihi, China.  

So my question is for those who may have done this before.  I have read that they will not help financially with the registration of travel fees but are you able to get sponsors?  If so, how do you help advertise for them if someone sponsors?  I am really looking at the details because I can't afford the expenses out of my income but I would not mind putting in the work to get sponsors to cover the majority of it...

Anyone with experience is welcome to chime in...I am very excited and not sure when I will ever have a chance to do a race like this again and don't want to pass up an opportunity. 

2013-11-01 10:01 AM
in reply to: TriGuy05

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Qualified...Very Excited but have questions....

I don't have an answer, but as I am going to ITU Sprint Worlds in Canada I am interested in what people have to say as well. Stuff is expensive.

2013-11-01 10:41 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
I don't have much feedback to offer (but can ask around with some friends who have done the team USA thing). One way or another, congrats. Very, very cool.
2013-11-01 10:44 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by TriGuy05

So i did the Rev3 HIM in South Carolina a few weeks ago as I know a few others here did as well.  So it was the USAT Long Course National Championship Race and was a qualifying race for Team USA.  Top 20 of my age group qualify, I was fortunate enough to be #19.  I was very happy with the way the race went and was a HIM PR time for me.  So a couple days ago I received an email saying I have been chosen to help represent Team USA in the 2014 ITU World Championship in Weihi, China.  

So my question is for those who may have done this before.  I have read that they will not help financially with the registration of travel fees but are you able to get sponsors?  If so, how do you help advertise for them if someone sponsors?  I am really looking at the details because I can't afford the expenses out of my income but I would not mind putting in the work to get sponsors to cover the majority of it...

Anyone with experience is welcome to chime in...I am very excited and not sure when I will ever have a chance to do a race like this again and don't want to pass up an opportunity. 

My client Jeff Cornick qualified as well. I was also wondering how he would get to China to race. China... that sounds like one expensive trip!

2013-11-01 10:59 AM

User image

Pro

It'd be similar to any sponsorship - how you can you, personally, benefit the brand/person/shop - in exchange for $$.

I qualified for Duathlon worlds this year and last - and even being backed by Rev3 and their sponsors, I couldn't go. Most tri brands prefer to offer product incentives instead of cash. 

That said, I did have teammates that fundraised independently - including needing to replace a stolen bike! She raffled off sponsor product, hosted spin classes, sold t-shirts... 

You'll need some creativity, for sure.

2013-11-01 11:02 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

It'd be similar to any sponsorship - how you can you, personally, benefit the brand/person/shop - in exchange for $$.

I qualified for Duathlon worlds this year and last - and even being backed by Rev3 and their sponsors, I couldn't go. Most tri brands prefer to offer product incentives instead of cash. 

That said, I did have teammates that fundraised independently - including needing to replace a stolen bike! She raffled off sponsor product, hosted spin classes, sold t-shirts... 

How do sponsors typically feel about that?  Isn't the idea that you wold use the sponsor's product in the race?  I'm asking because I don't know.....not judging.

(geez....trying to make sure things are taken in the right context is a pain in the arse

2013-11-01 11:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

How do sponsors typically feel about that?  Isn't the idea that you wold use the sponsor's product in the race?  I'm asking because I don't know.....not judging.

(geez....trying to make sure things are taken in the right context is a pain in the arse

Haha. I should add WITH PERMISSION.

Most of our sponsors were great if we wanted to do a giveaway of some sort.

ETA: I'm not talking about raffling off a Quintana Roo... but PowerBar products, TriSwim... that sort of thing.

Edited by ratherbeswimming 2013-11-01 11:05 AM
2013-11-01 11:06 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

Haha. I should add WITH PERMISSION.

Most of our sponsors were great if we wanted to do a giveaway of some sort.

ETA: I'm not talking about raffling off a Quintana Roo... but PowerBar products, TriSwim... that sort of thing.

Gotcha....thanks.

2013-11-01 11:09 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

So I see companies put logo's on pro jerseys, would you be allowed to get a logo from lets say xterra on there or even your LBS. I know for collegiate we had xterra, aerohammock, GU, Rudyproject, Reynolds, and a local chiropractor

2013-11-01 11:14 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Originally posted by dmiller5

So I see companies put logo's on pro jerseys, would you be allowed to get a logo from lets say xterra on there or even your LBS. I know for collegiate we had xterra, aerohammock, GU, Rudyproject, Reynolds, and a local chiropractor

You can put sponsor logos on jerseys, but it is VERY tightly controlled when it comes to TeamUSA type jerseys. I would check with USAT, as I believe there are specific brands for the uniform, and there are lettering requirement/restrictions, etc.

John
2013-11-01 11:18 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Most sponsors inside the sport of triathlon will pay you in gear, not too much money is thrown around unless you are at the elite/professional level. So if you are looking help financially I would look outside the sport of triathlon. Keep in mind though this you should be asking "What value to a pose to a potential sponsor, how will I help/benefit them?

Here is a good blog on it

http://chrisathey.blogspot.com/2012_12_01_archive.html

2013-11-01 11:33 AM
in reply to: tkd.teacher

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Originally posted by tkd.teacher

You can put sponsor logos on jerseys, but it is VERY tightly controlled when it comes to TeamUSA type jerseys. I would check with USAT, as I believe there are specific brands for the uniform, and there are lettering requirement/restrictions, etc.

John

Does TeamUSA provide the jerseys/suits ?
2013-11-01 11:34 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Dominion

You can put sponsor logos on jerseys, but it is VERY tightly controlled when it comes to TeamUSA type jerseys. I would check with USAT, as I believe there are specific brands for the uniform, and there are lettering requirement/restrictions, etc. John

Nope. You buy them. They do provide where to order/what to order, and a bunch of rules on them...

2013-11-01 11:35 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Dominion

You can put sponsor logos on jerseys, but it is VERY tightly controlled when it comes to TeamUSA type jerseys. I would check with USAT, as I believe there are specific brands for the uniform, and there are lettering requirement/restrictions, etc. John

Nope. You buy them. They do provide where to order/what to order, and a bunch of rules on them...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

2013-11-01 11:39 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

if they just increased the price of USAT AG nationals by $5 per person they could just give us dang jerseys.

2013-11-01 12:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado

I've been on the Long-Course TeamUSA the last two years. I competed in Spain in 2012 and then France this year.

I didn't have any sponsors, so those were expensive races. Essentially, you pay for everything: travel, registration, uniform, etc. All race clothing (even hats) is subject to stringent rules, so I doubt you would be able to put any logos on your race kit. Since it was so expensive, I made a vacation out of each trip.

That said, representing your country at Worlds is a total hoot! Some of my best memories are of French fans yelling "Allez, Allez, Allez" as we cycled through their towns and over cobblestones. If you can afford it, you should definitely consider it.

I was with you at Rev3 and qualified again, but next year I am focusing on trying to KQ, so I'm skipping China.

2013-11-01 12:03 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Expert
Chicago
Originally posted by bcagle25

Most sponsors inside the sport of triathlon will pay you in gear, not too much money is thrown around unless you are at the elite/professional level. So if you are looking help financially I would look outside the sport of triathlon. Keep in mind though this you should be asking "What value to a pose to a potential sponsor, how will I help/benefit them?

Here is a good blog on it

http://chrisathey.blogspot.com/2012_12_01_archive.html

This (and one of the earlier responses) are consistent with my friend's experience. I think team USA had around 600 age-groupers at worlds in Londan last year. From the perspective of we of the age-group masses, your accomplishment is awesome and to be envied; form the perspective of sponsors, it probabyl ain't all that special. Unless you've got some special, truly unique story that might be valuable for a sponser in martketing or otherwise, sponser dollars to send you to worlds probably just aren't out there. I sincerely applued your accomplishment and wish you the best of luck making it all work. It sounds like a great opportunity.
2013-11-01 12:06 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Ershk
Originally posted by bcagle25

Most sponsors inside the sport of triathlon will pay you in gear, not too much money is thrown around unless you are at the elite/professional level. So if you are looking help financially I would look outside the sport of triathlon. Keep in mind though this you should be asking "What value to a pose to a potential sponsor, how will I help/benefit them? Here is a good blog on it http://chrisathey.blogspot.com/2012_12_01_archive.html
This (and one of the earlier responses) are consistent with my friend's experience. I think team USA had around 600 age-groupers at worlds in Londan last year. From the perspective of we of the age-group masses, your accomplishment is awesome and to be envied; form the perspective of sponsors, it probabyl ain't all that special. Unless you've got some special, truly unique story that might be valuable for a sponser in martketing or otherwise, sponser dollars to send you to worlds probably just aren't out there. I sincerely applued your accomplishment and wish you the best of luck making it all work. It sounds like a great opportunity.

Of if you are fast and have a bonafide chance to podium....some will always pay for that.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-11-01 12:08 PM
2013-11-01 12:14 PM
in reply to: rockymtnhigh

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by rockymtnhigh

I've been on the Long-Course TeamUSA the last two years. I competed in Spain in 2012 and then France this year.

I didn't have any sponsors, so those were expensive races. Essentially, you pay for everything: travel, registration, uniform, etc. All race clothing (even hats) is subject to stringent rules, so I doubt you would be able to put any logos on your race kit. Since it was so expensive, I made a vacation out of each trip.

That said, representing your country at Worlds is a total hoot! Some of my best memories are of French fans yelling "Allez, Allez, Allez" as we cycled through their towns and over cobblestones. If you can afford it, you should definitely consider it.

I was with you at Rev3 and qualified again, but next year I am focusing on trying to KQ, so I'm skipping China.

I think it's a little nuts that you go to represent USA and you get NOTHING paid for, but are told what you can and cannot wear. They could at least provide a tri suit. Discounts on airfare and hotel? Something.

2013-11-01 12:23 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado
Originally posted by KSH

I think it's a little nuts that you go to represent USA and you get NOTHING paid for, but are told what you can and cannot wear. They could at least provide a tri suit. Discounts on airfare and hotel? Something.

Yeah, it was a little bit of a shock. Part of your reg/travel fees go toward having a travel rep and mechanic on-site. Thats nice, since problems always come up in foreign countries. But its not cheap.

As a result, older age groups are well-represented but younger age groups are not...

2013-11-01 12:25 PM
in reply to: rockymtnhigh

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado

Originally posted by KSH

Yeah, it was a little bit of a shock. Part of your reg/travel fees go toward having a travel rep and mechanic on-site. Thats nice, since problems always come up in foreign countries. But its not cheap.

As a result, older age groups are well-represented but younger age groups are not...

p.s. I did try to get the airlines to chip in free bike transport as a patriotic gesture, but they declined.

2013-11-01 1:53 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by KSH

When hundreds qualify its hard to pay even a fraction for each athlete. USAT is a very small governing body there office in Colorado is like 3 small office rooms on the second floor of an office building. I think some payments can be made in discounts but really they would be offering to A LOT of athletes.
2013-11-01 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
I don't live in the USA but I was the AG Team Manager for my country's athletes in London and also competed in Worlds in London.

If you race in an ITU race you need to wear the ITU official Tri-Suit from your country! Even as an AGer. ITU managed to write 8 pages of regulations of how this suit is supposed to be and what can go on it and how and where etc. And thats just for AGers! I think the ones for the Elites is even longer.

The suit has several spots where Sponsor logos might go on what we in Iceland did was find Sponsor for those spots and that helped to pay for the costs for the suit and entry fees for the race so you could ask the Team USA Managers if these spots on the suits are already taken or if you may find your own.
Thats one idea...

Travelling to those events is always costly especially when the destination is China.

I was actually surprised to find out in London that most country's don't pay travel and accomodation for their athletes especially for Worlds. I always thought that was the case for all countries that are not as small as Iceland and who is just building up the Tri-Community.

Edited by Joblin 2013-11-01 2:55 PM
2013-11-01 3:11 PM
in reply to: Joblin

User image

Melbourne, Florida

Originally posted by Joblin I don't live in the USA but I was the AG Team Manager for my country's athletes in London and also competed in Worlds in London. If you race in an ITU race you need to wear the ITU official Tri-Suit from your country! Even as an AGer. ITU managed to write 8 pages of regulations of how this suit is supposed to be and what can go on it and how and where etc. And thats just for AGers! I think the ones for the Elites is even longer. The suit has several spots where Sponsor logos might go on what we in Iceland did was find Sponsor for those spots and that helped to pay for the costs for the suit and entry fees for the race so you could ask the Team USA Managers if these spots on the suits are already taken or if you may find your own. Thats one idea... Travelling to those events is always costly especially when the destination is China. I was actually surprised to find out in London that most country's don't pay travel and accomodation for their athletes especially for Worlds. I always thought that was the case for all countries that are not as small as Iceland and who is just building up the Tri-Community.

Most, if not all, sponsors require that you have their logo on your kit, bike, or helmet. But they won't pay to have the logos placed.

Also, raffling product might void many sponsorships. Read your contracts. In many cases, the sponsor will not allow you to use your discount to make a profit after selling their products. My sponsors cover anywhere from 55% off to 20% off retail. It's not much, but it helps during training. Not much help for races, travel, and lodging. 

Fundraising and asking friends and family are the best options. Unless you manage to get a full ride, but that's not common for AGers.

2013-11-01 5:12 PM
in reply to: Joblin

User image

Pearland,Tx

I have been reading this thread and i feel for the OP. For one world event he is going to crack the family piggy.

Ok USA,ITU,WTC..... WHO,IMF,UN whatever...ever ....... its their say cant touch the uniforms.
best bet is for all the AGErs to go to one recommended source and have them all made in one design if they cant get them free atleast get them
cheap!!!

Maybe the team can get away with the compression legs and arms compression sleeves that is plenty of space for advertising.

So cant touch the team USA uniforms, how about the BIKE??? they are pretty skinny now a days with plenty of space... if CE......LO, FE...T aint gonna give $$$$ why the hell expose their brand. USE em custom stickies, The sponsor that pays the most gets the bigger space like the rear wheel cover, Next would be your alien looking aero helmet those deep carbon wheel rims .An international event got to have TV coverage the sponsor would love that. The athlete is going to China the most populated country in the world there ha to be thousands of viewers and spectators.

The athlete may look like a billboard or maybe a mascot at the end of the day , but im sure its worth it just to cover fare and hotel.

just brainstorming here!

(max_stickers.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
max_stickers.jpg (693KB - 7 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Qualified...Very Excited but have questions.... Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Boston Qualifying Question Pages: 1 2

Started by Patrick E
Views: 3015 Posts: 28

2013-04-18 5:41 PM rjrankin83

Qualifying for Kona at Louisville or Arizona question

Started by whitecloud
Views: 2608 Posts: 9

2010-10-25 10:46 AM disturbed

BQ Qualifying Time Question

Started by Karl Hungus
Views: 975 Posts: 9

2010-10-18 10:55 AM Skippy74

Boston Qualifying Time Question

Started by SSMinnow
Views: 4301 Posts: 8

2007-11-24 6:35 PM oceanannie

Question on having a free day!

Started by danceswithducks
Views: 1370 Posts: 14

2007-06-24 6:58 PM zipp1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.
date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?

date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.