General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Qualified...Very Excited but have questions.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-11-01 5:25 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado
Subject: RE: Qualified...Very Excited but have questions....

USAT funnels everyone to a single source for the uniforms -- in 2012/13 it was Trisports. Its a very nice Tyr kit, but there's not really any price reduction.

As far as logos, the ITU Championships are unbelievably rule-laden. I didn't read the full rule book (its long), but I remember the rule of thumb being no logos anywhere. (The kit already had a Trisports logo, which presumably USAT had negotiated with Trisports).

In 2013 we had very cold weather, so the ITU relaxed some of the clothing rules so we could wear supplemental warm clothes and not just the uniform, but thats not a given.

I think your best bet is to raise the money elsewhere and/or save your frequent flyer miles.

2013-11-01 5:34 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by KSH
Originally posted by rockymtnhigh I've been on the Long-Course TeamUSA the last two years. I competed in Spain in 2012 and then France this year. I didn't have any sponsors, so those were expensive races. Essentially, you pay for everything: travel, registration, uniform, etc. All race clothing (even hats) is subject to stringent rules, so I doubt you would be able to put any logos on your race kit. Since it was so expensive, I made a vacation out of each trip. That said, representing your country at Worlds is a total hoot! Some of my best memories are of French fans yelling "Allez, Allez, Allez" as we cycled through their towns and over cobblestones. If you can afford it, you should definitely consider it. I was with you at Rev3 and qualified again, but next year I am focusing on trying to KQ, so I'm skipping China.
I think it's a little nuts that you go to represent USA and you get NOTHING paid for, but are told what you can and cannot wear. They could at least provide a tri suit. Discounts on airfare and hotel? Something.
When hundreds qualify its hard to pay even a fraction for each athlete. USAT is a very small governing body there office in Colorado is like 3 small office rooms on the second floor of an office building. I think some payments can be made in discounts but really they would be offering to A LOT of athletes.

Yep.  I qualified for ITU Sprint in Budapest in 2010 and went.  It was not cheap.  They do everything they can to help make it cheaper (discounts through their website and your USAT membership), but as bcagle25 said, they are a small company. 

All that said, I considered it an honor to be able to represent, and didn't know if I would be able to do it again so we went into some temporary debt (paid it off after about a year) to do it.  We made a vacation out of it and after the race went to Italy for a week. 

You cannot do any logo's on the uniform and I'm pretty certain that is an ITU rule more than it is an USAT rule. 

2013-11-01 5:58 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Pro

It's not long course, but if you are fast and want to compete in a World Championship then get thee to Milwaukee in August for AG nationals......the 2015 AG World Championship for Sprint and Oly is in Chicago.......it'll probably be a bit cheaper than heading off to China.

2013-11-04 8:58 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Thanks for all the replies everyone!  It has started the wheels turning as to how I can try to raise some money somehow.  I am just a poor young dad with two young children...no chance I would ever be able to afford this on my own without any financial assistance.  I just got out from under a credit card debt and sure as hell not getting back under on for this.

Trying to see what my options are because I have laid out plans for 2015 and don't want to be in the hole...My plan was to do B2B in 2014 and IM Chat in 2015...the ITU Worlds would replace the B2B but that is a HUGE financial swing and would put my first full IM back a year...

For sponsorships I would be talking with local businesses but since I can't put their logos on my race stuff that really makes it harder because I would basically be asking for monetary donations to help pay for the flight.  I have been told by people at work who have been to China a few times have said everything in China is pretty cheap it is just really expensive to get their...anyone here want to donate to a poor dad who wants to race over seas?

2013-11-04 9:11 AM
in reply to: TriGuy05

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
I'm sure this has been covered ad nauseum in ST, but I'm getting lost in something here.
1) USAT asks hundreds of athletes to represent the USA at their own cost at the world competition.
2) USAT collects fees from everyone in the US for every race. I'll give you that a portion of that is to cover the insurance bill, but nowhere near all of it.
3) USAT has not honored the blue sky clause of their charter to expose the financials to all USAT members on request
4) USAT's elections put the future of the blue sky clause in jeopardy.

You would *think* USAT would foot the bill for their team with funds collected from their operations. For what other purpose would the phrase " USA Triathlon provides leadership and support to elite athletes competing at international events" be put forth on their website? What support are they offering if it isn't financial?
USAT is a money pit, and I've come to suspect a corrupt one.

Screw that, if you want to compete in a triathlon somewhere else in the world, sign up. Who needs an invitation, or worse yet, a required uniform? How USAT is "growing" the sport by this shenanigan is beyond me.
2013-11-04 9:23 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Pro

Originally posted by fisherman76 I'm sure this has been covered ad nauseum in ST, but I'm getting lost in something here. 1) USAT asks hundreds of athletes to represent the USA at their own cost at the world competition. 2) USAT collects fees from everyone in the US for every race. I'll give you that a portion of that is to cover the insurance bill, but nowhere near all of it. 3) USAT has not honored the blue sky clause of their charter to expose the financials to all USAT members on request 4) USAT's elections put the future of the blue sky clause in jeopardy. You would *think* USAT would foot the bill for their team with funds collected from their operations. For what other purpose would the phrase " USA Triathlon provides leadership and support to elite athletes competing at international events" be put forth on their website? What support are they offering if it isn't financial? USAT is a money pit, and I've come to suspect a corrupt one. Screw that, if you want to compete in a triathlon somewhere else in the world, sign up. Who needs an invitation, or worse yet, a required uniform? How USAT is "growing" the sport by this shenanigan is beyond me.

USAT doesn't make NEARLY enough money to send qualifiers to world competitions. 

You can see the 2009-2011 Financial documents and tax returns here: http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-usat/financial-statements-and-tax-returns.aspx

I'm not commenting on your suspicions, just throwing data out.

Plus, I really don't think that my $45 annual membership, and my 7th place finish out of 10 in my age group at Duathlon Nationals (with 18 slots available!!) really earns me the right to use anyone else's money to go compete at a world level in Spain. 

2013-11-04 9:33 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by fisherman76 I'm sure this has been covered ad nauseum in ST, but I'm getting lost in something here. 1) USAT asks hundreds of athletes to represent the USA at their own cost at the world competition. 2) USAT collects fees from everyone in the US for every race. I'll give you that a portion of that is to cover the insurance bill, but nowhere near all of it. 3) USAT has not honored the blue sky clause of their charter to expose the financials to all USAT members on request 4) USAT's elections put the future of the blue sky clause in jeopardy. You would *think* USAT would foot the bill for their team with funds collected from their operations. For what other purpose would the phrase " USA Triathlon provides leadership and support to elite athletes competing at international events" be put forth on their website? What support are they offering if it isn't financial? USAT is a money pit, and I've come to suspect a corrupt one. Screw that, if you want to compete in a triathlon somewhere else in the world, sign up. Who needs an invitation, or worse yet, a required uniform? How USAT is "growing" the sport by this shenanigan is beyond me.

For the most part, AG athletes going to World AG Championships are not elite athletes.  A few of them will reach that status.....but for the overwhelming majority, no.  In my experience with USAT at the Youth/Jr. elite level they are doing a good job of getting the U.S. up to world standards in Olympic (draft legtal) format racing. Building a program from grass roots takes time.....and money. (which we provied with our memberships)  In the very near future they will also be a major funding entity for Elite Triathlon Academy's that are well into the planning stages.  Corrupt?  No way....I have personally met with a number of people in their upper management tier and they are dedicated people, working on a mission.  Not as up front with their membership about some of the things you mentioned?.....yeah, I think it's fair to say that.  Our memberships are funding USAT......and that means the developement of elite, international caliber triathletes.  Going to AG worlds is a great accomplishment.....but I don't see where USAT owes anybody a trip to an AG competition.

2013-11-04 10:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

I did not start this thread for reasons of complaining and to give opportunities for others to get upset.  I know i am no where near the elite level athlete and I have come to terms with that.  I am a MOP to FOP Age Grouper depending on the distance/size race.  This is the first time I have ever qualified for something like this or ever had an opportunity to be apart of a team like this.  I can understand why USAT can't pay for everything.  They don't have the financial backing like some other teams do.  I am just trying to find ways I can provide myself financial backing...

2013-11-04 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by TriGuy05

Thanks for all the replies everyone!  It has started the wheels turning as to how I can try to raise some money somehow.  I am just a poor young dad with two young children...no chance I would ever be able to afford this on my own without any financial assistance.  I just got out from under a credit card debt and sure as hell not getting back under on for this.

Trying to see what my options are because I have laid out plans for 2015 and don't want to be in the hole...My plan was to do B2B in 2014 and IM Chat in 2015...the ITU Worlds would replace the B2B but that is a HUGE financial swing and would put my first full IM back a year...

For sponsorships I would be talking with local businesses but since I can't put their logos on my race stuff that really makes it harder because I would basically be asking for monetary donations to help pay for the flight.  I have been told by people at work who have been to China a few times have said everything in China is pretty cheap it is just really expensive to get their...anyone here want to donate to a poor dad who wants to race over seas?

Give them something back if they give you money. Depending not he business can decide how you go about this. Volunteer your time, work an event, blog, promote them in the sport or in your local community.

Just some ideas.
2013-11-04 1:49 PM

User image

Pro

...  Top 20 of my age group qualify, ... 2014 ITU World Championship in Weihi, China. 

Well, congratulations on an admirable performance.  But top 20 age groupers from a variety of qualifying races?  So, this sounds more like a business opportunity for the race organizer than a real championship for yourself.  Not so say you wouldn't have a hoot of a time.

If they're giving out spots to the top 20 finishers in each age group at presumably dozens of races... it doesn't sound like these are hotly contested spots.  

sorry to be debbie downer on this one.  just seems a little 'suspicious'.  

but hell yeah.  go to china!  sounds like a fun trip.

2013-11-04 1:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by morey000

...  Top 20 of my age group qualify, ... 2014 ITU World Championship in Weihi, China. 

Well, congratulations on an admirable performance.  But top 20 age groupers from a variety of qualifying races?  So, this sounds more like a business opportunity for the race organizer than a real championship for yourself.  Not so say you wouldn't have a hoot of a time.

If they're giving out spots to the top 20 finishers in each age group at presumably dozens of races... it doesn't sound like these are hotly contested spots.  

well for Olympic/sprint triathlon it was top 18 from that 1 race, ag nationals in milwaukee

Edited by dmiller5 2013-11-04 1:56 PM

2013-11-05 8:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
Originally posted by Left Brain

For the most part, AG athletes going to World AG Championships are not elite athletes.  A few of them will reach that status.....but for the overwhelming majority, no.  In my experience with USAT at the Youth/Jr. elite level they are doing a good job of getting the U.S. up to world standards in Olympic (draft legtal) format racing. Building a program from grass roots takes time.....and money. (which we provied with our memberships)  In the very near future they will also be a major funding entity for Elite Triathlon Academy's that are well into the planning stages.  Corrupt?  No way....I have personally met with a number of people in their upper management tier and they are dedicated people, working on a mission.  Not as up front with their membership about some of the things you mentioned?.....yeah, I think it's fair to say that.  Our memberships are funding USAT......and that means the developement of elite, international caliber triathletes.  Going to AG worlds is a great accomplishment.....but I don't see where USAT owes anybody a trip to an AG competition.

I don't think USAT owes anyone a free trip. However some help would be appropriate. USAT doesn't exist if it wasn't for the thousands of age-groupers that are forced to pay for either annual or 1 day memberships. There wouldn't be new training centers being built or help for young people with Olympic dreams if it weren't for those same age-groupers. On the USAT web site it says that the Vision of USAT is to provide the resources for all in the Triathlon community to reach their full potential. I think by all it should include something for the age-grouper. I honestly hadn't thought about the required membership much before reading through this thread. After looking at the USAT site more this morning, it is clear that the focus of USAT is on the young people and their development. That certainly isn't a bad thing. I just think that when a majority of your funding is coming from a certain group (in this case age-group athletes) you owe something back to them. I admit I'm coming into this late, so maybe I'm missing a lot. I will be open to that if someone has a different view point.

To the OP, I hope you are able to go to China. It sounds like it would be a great experience.
2013-11-05 9:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by morey000

According to the site it is from a single race to qualify, top 20 in each age group at the USAT Long Course National Championship race.  I don't think it is from an array of races.  Someone correct me if I am wrong for others who may know.

Edited by TriGuy05 2013-11-05 9:18 AM
2013-11-05 9:33 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TriBoilermaker

I don't think USAT owes anyone a free trip. However some help would be appropriate. USAT doesn't exist if it wasn't for the thousands of age-groupers that are forced to pay for either annual or 1 day memberships. There wouldn't be new training centers being built or help for young people with Olympic dreams if it weren't for those same age-groupers. On the USAT web site it says that the Vision of USAT is to provide the resources for all in the Triathlon community to reach their full potential. I think by all it should include something for the age-grouper. I honestly hadn't thought about the required membership much before reading through this thread. After looking at the USAT site more this morning, it is clear that the focus of USAT is on the young people and their development. That certainly isn't a bad thing. I just think that when a majority of your funding is coming from a certain group (in this case age-group athletes) you owe something back to them. I admit I'm coming into this late, so maybe I'm missing a lot. I will be open to that if someone has a different view point. To the OP, I hope you are able to go to China. It sounds like it would be a great experience.

USAT is the governing body for triathlon in the U.S.  I think it's fair to use USA swimming as an anology....because they have been at it longer and do an unbelievable job of developing talent for international competition.  We pay yearly membership fees of ~60.00 (I can't remember the exact amount sitting here).  That gives us the right to pay another $300.00 per month for our kids to swim on their club.....and to pay $10 - $15 dollars per event at their meets (usually 7 events per meet, plus relays).  As our kids move up the ladder they get to go to Sectionals, and the Jr. Nationals, and then Olympic trials....all, of course, if they are gifted, dedicated, and lucky.  We pay for every step of that.  We also pay for our kids to have a bigger stake in USA swimming.....swim at better facilities, better run meets, and better competition.  The money we spend keeps the machine running that churns out the best swimmers in the world.....I'm good with that.

Now look at USA triathlon.....who can only hope and dream to one day be as successful as USA swimming.  We pay a few bucks for dues.....and as we get better we pay for better races and better competition, and a bigger stake in the overall picture.  Yeah, it's expensive to race in the "National Championship" events, but it's also pretty cool to race really fast people......not elite racers, but fast.  If you are fast enough, you can race in the World Championships under your countries banner.  Yeah, it cost more, but you are now a bigger donor to a larger picture.....and for your money, you get to race the fastest age groupers in the world, on a great course, in a great venue (last year the actual Olympic course).  If you don't want to be a bigger donor to the bigger picture of elite triathlete developement, then don't pay, and don't go......leave the spot for someone else who wants to.

USA triathlon doesn't owe you anything until you get to the point where you are racing at the Elite International level......then they foot the bill, with money we all put in the pot.  I'm good with that.....it's how our country developes triathletes who can actually compete for gold in the Olympics.  We're not there yet.....but at least a program is coming together to acheive that goal.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-11-05 9:49 AM
2013-11-05 11:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois

I don't think USAT owes anyone a free trip. However some help would be appropriate. USAT doesn't exist if it wasn't for the thousands of age-groupers that are forced to pay for either annual or 1 day memberships. There wouldn't be new training centers being built or help for young people with Olympic dreams if it weren't for those same age-groupers. On the USAT web site it says that the Vision of USAT is to provide the resources for all in the Triathlon community to reach their full potential. I think by all it should include something for the age-grouper. I honestly hadn't thought about the required membership much before reading through this thread. After looking at the USAT site more this morning, it is clear that the focus of USAT is on the young people and their development. That certainly isn't a bad thing. I just think that when a majority of your funding is coming from a certain group (in this case age-group athletes) you owe something back to them. I admit I'm coming into this late, so maybe I'm missing a lot. I will be open to that if someone has a different view point. To the OP, I hope you are able to go to China. It sounds like it would be a great experience.

USAT is the governing body for triathlon in the U.S.  I think it's fair to use USA swimming as an anology....because they have been at it longer and do an unbelievable job of developing talent for international competition.  We pay yearly membership fees of ~60.00 (I can't remember the exact amount sitting here).  That gives us the right to pay another $300.00 per month for our kids to swim on their club.....and to pay $10 - $15 dollars per event at their meets (usually 7 events per meet, plus relays).  As our kids move up the ladder they get to go to Sectionals, and the Jr. Nationals, and then Olympic trials....all, of course, if they are gifted, dedicated, and lucky.  We pay for every step of that.  We also pay for our kids to have a bigger stake in USA swimming.....swim at better facilities, better run meets, and better competition.  The money we spend keeps the machine running that churns out the best swimmers in the world.....I'm good with that.

Now look at USA triathlon.....who can only hope and dream to one day be as successful as USA swimming.  We pay a few bucks for dues.....and as we get better we pay for better races and better competition, and a bigger stake in the overall picture.  Yeah, it's expensive to race in the "National Championship" events, but it's also pretty cool to race really fast people......not elite racers, but fast.  If you are fast enough, you can race in the World Championships under your countries banner.  Yeah, it cost more, but you are now a bigger donor to a larger picture.....and for your money, you get to race the fastest age groupers in the world, on a great course, in a great venue (last year the actual Olympic course).  If you don't want to be a bigger donor to the bigger picture of elite triathlete developement, then don't pay, and don't go......leave the spot for someone else who wants to.

USA triathlon doesn't owe you anything until you get to the point where you are racing at the Elite International level......then they foot the bill, with money we all put in the pot.  I'm good with that.....it's how our country developes triathletes who can actually compete for gold in the Olympics.  We're not there yet.....but at least a program is coming together to acheive that goal.

Will the athletes that are going to these new training facilities "pay their own way" or will it be free for them to attend?

I looked through the USAT web site quickly (so I might have missed it) but I didn't see any mention of the new training facilities you spoke of. I was interested in the funding of these and who would be going to them and what do they pay to attend.

I'm not suggesting corruption. There have been many of those threads on ST. What I'm more interested in is what does the USAT do for the average age-group athlete that is required to pay a fee in order to be in a race. Besides insurance I don't know what else there is. If that's it then fine let's say that. If there is more, then what is that?

This is going in a different direction then the OP intended so maybe it should be a different thread by itself!
2013-11-05 11:28 AM
in reply to: TriBoilermaker

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Will the athletes that are going to these new training facilities "pay their own way" or will it be free for them to attend? I looked through the USAT web site quickly (so I might have missed it) but I didn't see any mention of the new training facilities you spoke of. I was interested in the funding of these and who would be going to them and what do they pay to attend. I'm not suggesting corruption. There have been many of those threads on ST. What I'm more interested in is what does the USAT do for the average age-group athlete that is required to pay a fee in order to be in a race. Besides insurance I don't know what else there is. If that's it then fine let's say that. If there is more, then what is that? This is going in a different direction then the OP intended so maybe it should be a different thread by itself!

Discounts on travel, gear, etc.

2013-11-05 11:43 AM

User image

Pro

Will the athletes that are going to these new training facilities "pay their own way" or will it be free for them to attend? I looked through the USAT web site quickly (so I might have missed it) but I didn't see any mention of the new training facilities you spoke of. I was interested in the funding of these and who would be going to them and what do they pay to attend. I'm not suggesting corruption. There have been many of those threads on ST. What I'm more interested in is what does the USAT do for the average age-group athlete that is required to pay a fee in order to be in a race. Besides insurance I don't know what else there is. If that's it then fine let's say that. If there is more, then what is that? This is going in a different direction then the OP intended so maybe it should be a different thread by itself!

There is already one Elite Triathlon Academy in Colorado.  At least one other, that I know of, is in the works.  The pathway is through youth/jr. elite triathlon since the focus will be on draft legal (olympic format) racing.  There are other ways in, but certain performance standards have to be met.  You can find those standards and the various pathways to Elite racing on the USAT website.

USAT doesn't have to provide anything with your membership.  I just renewed mine so I know it comes with discounts at various stores, etc......that's a hell of alot more than USA swimming gives you for twice the money.

I suspect it is an issue with triathletes because the alot of them are adults and they whine more than the kids who comprise the majority of USA swimming memberships.  I know there was a row over the recent elections because many were not happy that USAT seemed to be headed down a course where the emphasis would be on elite athletes.......uh......that's what it should be doing in my mind.  How else will the sport truly grow unless we become more competitive at the international level.  I wish I had a dime for every person who has said to me, "triathlon is a Olympic sport, really?"

2013-11-05 11:45 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
Originally posted by crowny2

Fair enough. I did find the benefits section of the web site. Several things listed there. A lot of fluff, but some legitimate discounts.

As I'm reading back through this, I realize my position appears to be against development of future Olympic hopefuls. That wasn't/isn't my intent. I was just trying to get clear what USAT's mission is and where the funding comes from. I probably haven't done a very good job of explaining that.
2013-11-05 11:52 AM

User image

Pro

Fair enough. I did find the benefits section of the web site. Several things listed there. A lot of fluff, but some legitimate discounts. As I'm reading back through this, I realize my position appears to be against development of future Olympic hopefuls. That wasn't/isn't my intent. I was just trying to get clear what USAT's mission is and where the funding comes from. I probably haven't done a very good job of explaining that.

Actually, I think your postition is a common one among "triathletes".  Most don't understand, or care, that these organizations like USAT, USA swimming, USA cycling,  etc. are there to ensure that our country gets on the same playing field as the rest of the world in International competitions.  Triaithlon, for many, especially middle aged people, is such a self-centered sport that they don't stop to think about the bigger picture and what these organizations truly exist for....it becomes all about "what's in it for me?"

2013-11-05 12:36 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Congrats on qualifying. I would encourage you to take part in the event if you can afford it. I went to Belgium in 2008 for LC Duathlon and Beijing in 2011 for Sprint. In both cases, I didn't really care all that much about the event, it was just an excuse to travel.

I wouldn't expect sponsors to step up and help you. You might have a few local sponsors chip in IF you have long term relationships. In my case, I didn't seek anything out. I paid for it myself. And yes, it will be expensive.

As stated, you race under ITU rules so there are a few more things to be aware of (drafting, kits, etc). Just a slightly different set of rules. Team USA will make a big fuss over uniforms. Though in all the years I have been involved, I have never heard of anyone not racing because they didn't meet the uniform requirement.

On Team USA's side, they have a contract with Tyr, speedo or who ever so they are obligated to push it. But I have seen people wear all kinds of uniforms out there so long as they met the uniform requirements (country name, last name, etc). I also had my business logo on my China uniform. It had to be a certain dimension. At uniform check the officials reviewed it, made some note about my logo and I was on my way. Even at the race, I saw a guy racing for China in a white t-shirt with china on it.

2013-11-05 1:37 PM

User image

Melbourne, Florida

For sponsorships I would be talking with local businesses but since I can't put their logos on my race stuff that really makes it harder because I would basically be asking for monetary donations to help pay for the flight. 

Nothing can prevent you from wearing sponsor logos on your helmet, bike, and as temporary tattoos. 

2013-11-05 2:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois

Fair enough. I did find the benefits section of the web site. Several things listed there. A lot of fluff, but some legitimate discounts. As I'm reading back through this, I realize my position appears to be against development of future Olympic hopefuls. That wasn't/isn't my intent. I was just trying to get clear what USAT's mission is and where the funding comes from. I probably haven't done a very good job of explaining that.

Actually, I think your postition is a common one among "triathletes".  Most don't understand, or care, that these organizations like USAT, USA swimming, USA cycling,  etc. are there to ensure that our country gets on the same playing field as the rest of the world in International competitions.  Triaithlon, for many, especially middle aged people, is such a self-centered sport that they don't stop to think about the bigger picture and what these organizations truly exist for....it becomes all about "what's in it for me?"

Thanks for categorizing me and most other "Triathletes". I have tried to explain my position and even said I wasn't against the developing of future Olympians. I guess someone can't ask some questions about where their money is going without being called self-centered. I thought it was a legitimate discussion topic and even thought about starting a new thread for it. You obviously have a dog in this hunt and I don't so I will let it go at that.

I apologize to the OP for getting this off track.
2013-11-05 2:42 PM

User image

Pro

Thanks for categorizing me and most other "Triathletes". I have tried to explain my position and even said I wasn't against the developing of future Olympians. I guess someone can't ask some questions about where their money is going without being called self-centered. I thought it was a legitimate discussion topic and even thought about starting a new thread for it. You obviously have a dog in this hunt and I don't so I will let it go at that. I apologize to the OP for getting this off track.

Sorry.....I wasn't talking about anyone in particular....but I've been around triathlon for awhile, and I'll stand by my observations.  In the interest of a kinder/gentler LB I apologize if I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you....only you know if the shoe fits.  It is absolutely a legitimate discussion topic from my point of view.....and I gave you a legitimate answer, even if you don't like it.  What are we talking about here...... $25.00 per year?  You asked what you get for your money.....I told you.

2013-11-05 3:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois

Thanks for categorizing me and most other "Triathletes". I have tried to explain my position and even said I wasn't against the developing of future Olympians. I guess someone can't ask some questions about where their money is going without being called self-centered. I thought it was a legitimate discussion topic and even thought about starting a new thread for it. You obviously have a dog in this hunt and I don't so I will let it go at that. I apologize to the OP for getting this off track.

Sorry.....I wasn't talking about anyone in particular....but I've been around triathlon for awhile, and I'll stand by my observations.  In the interest of a kinder/gentler LB I apologize if I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you....only you know if the shoe fits.  It is absolutely a legitimate discussion topic from my point of view.....and I gave you a legitimate answer, even if you don't like it.  What are we talking about here...... $25.00 per year?  You asked what you get for your money.....I told you.

I couldn't care less about a kinder LB. I already said you have a dog in the hunt and I don't and I was letting it go.
2013-11-05 3:16 PM

User image

Pro

I couldn't care less about a kinder LB. I already said you have a dog in the hunt and I don't and I was letting it go.

I would have gladly let it go....but you don't get the last word when it's garbage.  I never called you self-centered....or anyone else.  I said that triathlon for middle-aged people is a self-centered sport, and it damn sure is. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Qualified...Very Excited but have questions.... Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Boston Qualifying Question Pages: 1 2

Started by Patrick E
Views: 3015 Posts: 28

2013-04-18 5:41 PM rjrankin83

Qualifying for Kona at Louisville or Arizona question

Started by whitecloud
Views: 2608 Posts: 9

2010-10-25 10:46 AM disturbed

BQ Qualifying Time Question

Started by Karl Hungus
Views: 975 Posts: 9

2010-10-18 10:55 AM Skippy74

Boston Qualifying Time Question

Started by SSMinnow
Views: 4301 Posts: 8

2007-11-24 6:35 PM oceanannie

Question on having a free day!

Started by danceswithducks
Views: 1370 Posts: 14

2007-06-24 6:58 PM zipp1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.
date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?

date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.