General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for the perfect bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-03 2:22 PM

Subject: Looking for the perfect bike
I just started riding this last year and it has been something I have really enjoyed. I have also started training for my first tri next season. I am starting with sprints but plan on doing at least a half ironman. I am not looking to win but more so interested in finishing. Right now I have a 2004 Specialized Allez (58cm) with sora/tiagra components. I like the bike but I am having issues with shifting. (I know the most common answer is to do your first tri on whatever you can find) I looked into upgrading my group set but I can't justify putting $600 into a 10 year old bike; I feel like it would be a better investment to purchase a newer bike. I am a college student and not making a lot of money so I'm looking to get a bike that's a couple years old. I'd like to spend somewhere between $900-$1500 but willing to wait and save some more money if there is a bike that would better fit my needs.

So basically, I want a bike that is not solely a tri bike. I still want to do long and short group rides. I want a bike that I can put aero bars and still have good geometry. I've been reading about the Specialized Roubaix but it seems that aero bars on this bike stretch the rider out too far. I would buy an Allez again in a heartbeat but I want to make sure it is something that would be comfortable on the longer rides with aero bars. Also, what about the Tarmac? How similar are the geometries on the Allez compared to the Tarmac? I am 6'2" 205, will I have flexing problems with the carbon fiber frame?

I have only done research on the Specialized bikes but would consider other bikes too.

I know my questions are kind of all over the place but this is a huge purchase for me so I want to make sure I get the best package I can for the money.

-Eric

2013-11-03 2:32 PM
in reply to: ea1154

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Looking for the perfect bike
as for the shifting issues you mentioned with your current bike, have you taken it to a good bike shop to see if it can be fixed ?
Perhaps if the shifting was fixed, then you can ride your current bike to get some experience down, and better focus your search for a better bike.

Your thought may change after a few tri's.
2013-11-04 5:21 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
The perfect bike doesn't exist… but you can get pretty darn close.

As a collage student, I would recommend hanging on to the Allez for a few years longer. Take it to the LBS and have them fix the gears for you.

As if carbon will flex… if the Tarmac is strong enough for the pro sprinters not to flex it, there's absolutely no way you will.
2013-11-04 5:46 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by metafizx as for the shifting issues you mentioned with your current bike, have you taken it to a good bike shop to see if it can be fixed ? Perhaps if the shifting was fixed, then you can ride your current bike to get some experience down, and better focus your search for a better bike. Your thought may change after a few tri's.

x2  It may be that the shifters just need some minor adjustment or new cables.  I'd also check to see if the chain has stretched and needs to be replaced.  All that is going to cost way less than $600.   Nothing wrong with a ten year old bike as long as it's been properly maintained. 

Mark 

2013-11-04 8:58 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
There are aero road bikes from Specialized, Cervelo, Felt, BMC, Litespeed, and others... all available used.. they are good dual use bikes, road and tri duty.
2013-11-04 9:22 AM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Originally posted by ea1154

I just started riding this last year and it has been something I have really enjoyed. I have also started training for my first tri next season. I am starting with sprints but plan on doing at least a half ironman. I am not looking to win but more so interested in finishing. Right now I have a 2004 Specialized Allez (58cm) with sora/tiagra components. I like the bike but I am having issues with shifting. (I know the most common answer is to do your first tri on whatever you can find) I looked into upgrading my group set but I can't justify putting $600 into a 10 year old bike; I feel like it would be a better investment to purchase a newer bike. I am a college student and not making a lot of money so I'm looking to get a bike that's a couple years old. I'd like to spend somewhere between $900-$1500 but willing to wait and save some more money if there is a bike that would better fit my needs.

So basically, I want a bike that is not solely a tri bike. I still want to do long and short group rides. I want a bike that I can put aero bars and still have good geometry. I've been reading about the Specialized Roubaix but it seems that aero bars on this bike stretch the rider out too far. I would buy an Allez again in a heartbeat but I want to make sure it is something that would be comfortable on the longer rides with aero bars. Also, what about the Tarmac? How similar are the geometries on the Allez compared to the Tarmac? I am 6'2" 205, will I have flexing problems with the carbon fiber frame?

I have only done research on the Specialized bikes but would consider other bikes too.

I know my questions are kind of all over the place but this is a huge purchase for me so I want to make sure I get the best package I can for the money.

-Eric

Look around and get a Cervelo Soloist.

/thread.

John

2013-11-04 11:42 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Take your bike to a shop and make sure it is adjusted properly. If anything is worn out it is probably your rear derailer, chain, and/or cassette. You should be able to get all 3 replaced for under $200 and your ride will feel like new.
2013-11-04 12:41 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by mike761 Take your bike to a shop and make sure it is adjusted properly. If anything is worn out it is probably your rear derailer, chain, and/or cassette. You should be able to get all 3 replaced for under $200 and your ride will feel like new.

Better yet, learn to do it yourself, especially if money is tight.  Adjusting derailleurs is really not rocket science and doesn't take any special tools like some stuff does.  Zinn's book on tri bike maintenance is a good reference, the Park Tool website is helpful, and you can always find some good instructional videos on youtube.

Mark

2013-11-04 8:05 PM

Thanks everyone! I am just going to try and get it fixed. The bike is in good condition so it sounds like it will be a minor fix.

Thanks again!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for the perfect bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

tri bike p0rn - lots of work put into picking the perfect bike

Started by luv2flyjrn
Views: 1857 Posts: 13

2012-08-22 10:30 AM SoberTriGuy

Perfect or Near Perfect Races

Started by xine2kgts
Views: 1288 Posts: 12

2011-08-15 3:03 PM tri808

Build The Perfect (TRI) Bike

Started by ditchdoc
Views: 3085 Posts: 21

2010-10-18 3:10 AM RBesecke

What does the perfect pedal stroke look like?

Started by Newbie5317
Views: 1984 Posts: 10

2009-09-30 8:14 AM Daremo

Perfect bike fit for triathlon...

Started by Christ
Views: 681 Posts: 2

2005-03-25 9:58 AM Christ
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Every athlete can benefit from a quick cadence no matter if they are an Olympic distance racer or Ironman veteran. Take the time to work on your cadence and you will see many benefits.

date : August 31, 2011
author : gracetaBitha
comments : 2
What could've gone wrong did not go wrong. Everything that couldn't go right, went right. Result: The most wonderful, perfect, first triathlon for yours truly.
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 15, 2010
author : CobbCycling
comments : 2
In this article, we are going to explore air movements over and around the front end of a bike and rider. We will examine how air affects these frontal areas.
date : January 8, 2010
How do I know if my cleats need to be adjusted? And how do you know in which direction to adjust them? I have been having medial knee pain and edema but my LBS says the cleat placement is fine.

date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.