General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power Taps et al Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-10 11:22 AM

New user
Subject: Power Taps et al
I am completely ignorant of what is needed for really measuring my indoor training power, but my budget is almost as limited as my knowledge. What is needed to use a powertap type device? I see all of these items referenced and for sale but the prices are so varied, so my real question is what is the minimum you need to get started. If I have the powertap or other hub, it measures my output, I assume. How is that info transmitted to me? A HR type watch or to a device on my handlebar? Sorry, if this is basic or asked before....thanks...any info or suggestions appreciated...

2013-11-10 12:06 PM
in reply to: ried0428

User image

Coastal Carolina
Subject: RE: Power Taps et al
You need the device, powertap, quarg etc plus a head unit to recieve the data. For alot of information head to dcrainmaker.com and look under power meters he explains everything
2013-11-10 12:46 PM

User image

Regular
Arlington, VA
If all you care about is indoor power, you can get a power-meter trainer, which is vastly cheaper than power-meter crank/wheel/pedal/magicwindthing.

Something like this:
http://www.cascadebiketrainers.com/product_detail/5/cascade-fluidpr...
or
http://brandscycle.com/product/cycleops-fluid2-power-trainer-kit-18...
2013-11-10 4:16 PM

User image

Master
My first question would be: Do you already have a trainer?

You can go as cheap as a speedometer to your real wheel or an ANT+ Garmin GSC-10 cadence monitor to a Computrainer. It's hard to give a concise answer to a vague question. I would say the "minimum is an old laptop, Free download of Golden Cheetah v3 and a Garmin GSC-10. That will give you virtual power and enough to decide if power works for you.
2013-11-10 6:37 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by pschriver My first question would be: Do you already have a trainer? You can go as cheap as a speedometer to your real wheel or an ANT+ Garmin GSC-10 cadence monitor to a Computrainer. It's hard to give a concise answer to a vague question. I would say the "minimum is an old laptop, Free download of Golden Cheetah v3 and a Garmin GSC-10. That will give you virtual power and enough to decide if power works for you.

agree with this.  if all you care about is getting something for indoors i would go the virtual power route.  just get the garmin cadence/speed sensor with an ANT+ stick to use on your computer.  couple this with TrainerRoad subscription and you might as well have a powermeter for indoor use without actually have to lay down the money to buy one.

if you do want a power meter though, and budget is limited... look for a used powertap rear wheel and and ANT+ stick for your computer or use it with a garmin/joule computer to download the data after the ride.

2013-11-10 10:29 PM

User image

Pro

for indoor trainer cheap virtual power- I'd highly recommend TrainerRoad.com

2013-11-10 10:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

What you need if you want power:
A power meter
A device to receive the power

Most power meters send via the ANT+ protocol. This is a common protocol used by most manufactures. I think Polar is the only major one which likes to do their their own thing. This means you can mix and match ANT+ HR monitors, power meters, etc to head units. Not all head units support all devices though. My Forerunner 405 works with a Garmin cadence sensor for the bike (it's a running watch) but does not work power meters. With that, you'll need a head unit to get the power. The most common ones are either a triathlon dedicated device (Garmin 310 or 910. 310 being way cheaper but both support swim/bike/run settings) or a bike only computer such as a Garmin 500 or 800. For me, I went with a 910 since it's has a bigger screen and does some neat pool tracking.

As for the power meter, you need to decide your price point and what matters to you. I WANTED a Stages power meter ($~700 - DC rainmaker Review) but it won't fit my bike. Grrr.... So my power2max one is on order and should be here next week. You can also go with Power Taps as well. Power Taps are at the wheel while crank based ones are on the crank itself. For me, I wanted something I could use on trainer, outdoor trainer wheel, and one day race wheels. For a Powertap, you're locked into one wheel. Crank solutions are more expensive (Power2max starts at $1000 with cranks), unless you get a Stages and have a crankset already they support, but I can use it for all my rides without having to worry about it. For me, I just couldn't find a used crank one with the length and gearing I wanted, so I bought new. It's not a cheap thing and I've been on the internet for weeks tearing myself up inside trying to decide if it was worth it. Now that I hit the button, I can sleep better at night :P ....still hoping it's worth it though but I'll have 4 months to get it sorted out before my main IM training starts again. Luckily power meters seem to have a high resale value if I were to ever need to sell it.

Edited by Blastman 2013-11-10 10:44 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power Taps et al Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Endurance Nation/Beg Tri/et al.....training plans

Started by smatad
Views: 1230 Posts: 3

2011-06-18 12:07 PM KauaiShan

Used to wear gloves et al

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1493 Posts: 22

2009-04-29 2:45 AM Slugger

Q on Zipp Vuka bars (et. al)

Started by D_M_S
Views: 905 Posts: 2

2008-05-12 3:56 PM yaqui

Power Meter (Power Tap) Basics

Started by jamesehatcher
Views: 1950 Posts: 10

2007-10-24 11:33 AM yaqui

Hi Welshy, Lara, Bear et al

Started by NoisyD
Views: 925 Posts: 9

2004-11-09 7:18 AM NoisyD
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2009
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.

date : March 4, 2009
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : January 20, 2009
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : December 3, 2008
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.
date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.

date : December 3, 2007
author : CPT
comments : 5
Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.