Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Architectural elements that elicit a visceral response... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-14 12:13 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Architectural elements that elicit a visceral response...

Originally posted by crowny2

Originally posted by mdg2003 I've got to go with Italy. Florence, Rome, Vatican City. Amazing craftsmanship and detail in those old buildings. I think I could have spent a week just looking at the floor in St. Peter's Basilica.

The Duomo in Florence is by far one of the most breathtaking buildings I've ever seen.

Agreed, the Duomo is unbelievable.  It is my favorite building, and Florence is my favorite city in Europe. 

The Colosseum was incredible too--thinking about everything that had happened there.  Crazy.

2013-11-14 12:38 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by mdg2003 I've got to go with Italy. Florence, Rome, Vatican City. Amazing craftsmanship and detail in those old buildings. I think I could have spent a week just looking at the floor in St. Peter's Basilica.

The Duomo in Florence is by far one of the most breathtaking buildings I've ever seen.

Agreed, the Duomo is unbelievable.  It is my favorite building, and Florence is my favorite city in Europe

The Colosseum was incredible too--thinking about everything that had happened there.  Crazy.

Yep.  Me too.  One of the few places I would consider being an ex-pat.

OH!  I forgot.  Another place that got me in the gut was Dachau.  Just the starkness of the place.  Granted it isn't truly due to architectural elements, but the chimney in the back of the grounds that was the crematorium just kills me.

2013-11-14 1:41 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Any time I see the Parthenon/Acropolis, or Roman Coliseum or temples in Japan that are 100's if not a 1000 years old.

For some reason, places of conflict impact me.  Old battlefields/forts/castles in Europe or Asia.  Even old battleships and such. I sort of got emotional at Pearl Harbor.  I haven't been to Germany yet, but when I do, I will of course need to see the camps, and can't imagine the emotions I may go through there. 

2013-11-14 8:50 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
Tejas

Agreed, the Duomo is unbelievable.  It is my favorite building, and Florence is my favorite city in Europe. 

Florence is amazing. The best part was walking through the narrow old streets, feeling sort of lost and then coming face to face with a centuries old building. Building those masterpieces without modern tools and equipment was a monumental achievement.
2013-11-15 8:28 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by mdg2003

Florence is amazing. The best part was walking through the narrow old streets, feeling sort of lost and then coming face to face with a centuries old building. Building those masterpieces without modern tools and equipment was a monumental achievement.

Yep.  When we got to Florence, it was via train.  I told my wife that she wouldn't believe the beauty of the Duomo.  And it was so close to the station.  She kept asking if we were going the right way, until we turned the last corner.  She stopped dead in her tracks, jaw slack and just stared.  It was awesome. 

2013-11-15 3:39 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Kido

Any time I see the Parthenon/Acropolis, or Roman Coliseum or temples in Japan that are 100's if not a 1000 years old.

For some reason, places of conflict impact me.  Old battlefields/forts/castles in Europe or Asia.  Even old battleships and such. I sort of got emotional at Pearl Harbor.  I haven't been to Germany yet, but when I do, I will of course need to see the camps, and can't imagine the emotions I may go through there. 

I completely agree with this, Kido.  It's hard for me to go to those places and not get emotional. 

------------------

I thought of a couple more:

Old windows with wavy glass.

Barns and the light quality when the sun comes in through the cracks and hits all the particulate in the air.  I love the smell of old barns too. 

2013-11-15 3:53 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I truly loved seeing the Colosseum, Notre Dame, the Vatican, the Royal Palace of Madrid, etc. - and each and every one of them left me staring in wonder at the accomplishments of architecture of the time in which they were built.

However, the place that left me with the greatest emotional response was Point du Hoc, Normandy.  Seeing the broken remains of bunkers, the craters that still litter the ground and are 15 feet deep or more, the monument to the Rangers who scaled the cliff... Just standing there thinking of what those soldiers must have gone through before storming the shores.  There really are no words.  

2013-11-15 4:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

I truly loved seeing the Colosseum, Notre Dame, the Vatican, the Royal Palace of Madrid, etc. - and each and every one of them left me staring in wonder at the accomplishments of architecture of the time in which they were built.

However, the place that left me with the greatest emotional response was Point du Hoc, Normandy.  Seeing the broken remains of bunkers, the craters that still litter the ground and are 15 feet deep or more, the monument to the Rangers who scaled the cliff... Just standing there thinking of what those soldiers must have gone through before storming the shores.  There really are no words.  

I want to see that...

I get a little burned out looking at churches in Europe.  But they are impressive with the scale and ornateness of them - especially the Vatican.  I also don't think I would grow tired of Notre Dame...  Next time I'm in Paris I want to go up to the top AND see the catacombs.  

Edited by Kido 2013-11-15 4:04 PM
2013-11-15 7:58 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Seattle

This is so going to sound like a copout but I find the beauty nearly everywhere I go. Maybe with the exception of large, inefficient sprawling suburban developments.  I take lots and lots and LOTS of photos on all of my runs.

Not necessarily architectural, but certainly of the built environment is the High Line in NYC. A place that really stole my heart. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Architectural elements that elicit a visceral response... Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

QUIZ: What is your element? Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 1980 Posts: 28

2010-05-20 1:28 PM Sammeg

Honda Element Pages: 1 2

Started by medic1962
Views: 2380 Posts: 31

2010-02-06 8:23 AM bzgl40

Devil's Response to Pat Robertson

Started by pga_mike
Views: 880 Posts: 6

2010-01-16 11:45 PM Gaarryy

Quiz: Which earth element are you?

Started by Renee
Views: 763 Posts: 14

2009-08-31 10:23 AM gobluedds

A Poet's Response to Laura Bush's Invitation (long)

Started by misscullen
Views: 520 Posts: 12

2007-09-18 12:53 PM Rynamite
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 24, 2005
author : dara
comments : 0
An explanation about how the cardiovascular system works, so that it makes more sense about how the human body responds to exercise in the heat.