United States
Wauconda Park District
hotF / 0C
Total Time = 1h 20m 18s
Overall Rank = 15/unsure
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/unsure
Pre-race routine:

I was very frustrated coming into this race. The day before, on the way home from packet pickup my wife and I swung by the barn to see her horse and the stupid horse slipped and kicked me in the right leg just above my achilles! I could barely walk and was really nervous that I would be unable to race, but the next morning I woke up ready to go, albeit with a limp and a huge bruise.

I ate a piece of peanut butter toast and drank a bunch of water.
Event warmup:

Short swim in the lake. Stretching, and a light jog to test my hurt leg.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 875 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim felt awesome! I was able to get into a good rhythm right from the start and kept up the pace for the whole portion. I went off in wave 2 and managed to pass almost all of wave 1 to be the 4th or 5th person out of the water, despite wave 1's 3 minute head start. No complaints here.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I really need to get the hang of having my shoes clipped to the bike already. It's really slowing my T1 down having to step into my shoes, run through transition, stop, clip in, and then start riding.

T1 continues to be something I have to improve.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 15 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, I would love to know my splits here because I felt so good on the bike. The first 10 miles or so I was just smoking and didn't see another cyclist until I hit 1 part of the road where there was a slight turn around...only 3 people were in front of me. I couldn't believe it, but I was literally in 4th place out of waves 1 and 2. On one of the last hills I switched from the big ring to the little ring and my chain dropped...D'oh! I had to stop and get off the bike to re-mount it, it cost me about 2 minutes but it felt like 10! In that time only 1 cyclist passed me and I almost had caught up to him by the time we hit T2.

I haven't had a bike tune up in almost a year, which may have prevented the chain from dropping. Maybe be more careful when I switch rings. This was a great ride and I can't complain.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

My T2's have come a long way since last year. No complaints here.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt like Jello getting off the bike and my right calf was screaming from the horse kick the morning before. I wasn't out of breath or winded, but no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get my legs to work; they felt like lead blocks. I thought for sure I had lost any hope in a top 3 age group finish here and am really curious what my official split for this is. I was hoping to come in under 7 minute miles but it felt like I was running closer to 8:30's. Just brutal. After about 2 miles I started to get my legs back but I just didn't have the conditioning and fitness I needed.

Not get kicked by a horse! Also, I need to do more bricks to get used to running off the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

I stood in the misting tent for a few minutes. I ate a banana, 2 gatorates, and a popsicle...this was awesome! The event had generators powering a good humor style freezer filled with popsicles! Best idea ever, mad props to the event staff for this!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of preparation (more bricks), dropping my chain on the bike course and getting kicked by a 1500 pound animal with a brain the size of a walnut.

Event comments:

This was the first ever Wauconda Triathlon, and I hope it's the first of many! The race directors were organized and helpful, the volunteers were simply fantastic, the course was excellent and I have nothing but positive things to say. The guy on the mic MCing the awards ceremony was hysterical. Much props to the police and FD guys who helped support the race also.

Last updated: 2006-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 875 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/unsure
Overall: 0/unsure
Performance: Good
NO SPLIT DATA HAS BEEN RELEASED
Suit: Wetsuits not allowed, too hot
Course: Simple point to point swim. Busses took us to the start and we swam across the lake to transition. The water was really warm, the race director told us wetsuits would not be allowed for people racing for prizes, although they created a 9th wave for those who felt more comfortable with the added bouyancy.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:00:00 | 15 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 15 mile loop around the outskirts of Wauconda. It was described in the race packet as "hilly and challenging," and while it did have some gentle rolling hills it was nothing insane. I guess it was about as hilly as you could expect for Northern Illinois.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 03.11 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Simple 5K loop. It was still early enough where the heat wasn't too bad yet, but the sun was out and it was starting to warm up.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-31 2:48 PM

Extreme Veteran
IL
Subject: Wauconda Sprint Triathlon

2006-07-31 4:14 PM
in reply to: #498531

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: RE: Wauconda Sprint Triathlon

Dude, I haven't read the report yet but I wish I had known you were doing this.  I was there as a spectator.  Where you wearing a red white and blue tri suit?  I think I remember seeing you finish.  Ok, I'll go read your report now.

Wow!  Great race, even with the chain thing and the horse thing.  I know I saw you coming out of the water.  I'm sure you had other things on your mind, like racing, but I was on your right, first person you passed as you got off the pier, red and black running hat. 

Anyway, congrats and what you said about the organizers and volunteers is what EVERYONE is saying.  The more I think about it the more I want to do this race next year.

Edited by hangloose 2006-07-31 4:20 PM
2006-07-31 8:34 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
I wish I would have known you were doing this, as well. I thought I PM'd everyone from BT that was suppose to be in the race, but I didn't realize you were doing it.

I actually raced in this and had many of the same thoughts about the course and the staff. Just a great event. You had a fantastic race, even with the chain ring!

I was waiting for the times to be reported before I finalize my RR, but I will post by tomorrow noon, w/ or w/o the results.

Great job on the race. 1st place in your Age group...fantastic!!!!

Edited by schmize 2006-07-31 8:53 PM
2006-08-01 6:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
IL
Thanks a lot for the kind words!  I wish I would have known more BTers were out there.  This was such a great race and I'm already looking forward to it next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wauconda Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed