World Triathlon Corporation
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 55m 35s
Overall Rank = 2352/2707
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 97/106
Pre-race routine:

Attempt to force down breakfast; mostly fail; walk to Tempe Beach Park, stretch out, hang out with peeps, get bike checked out.
Event warmup:

A lot of swinging the arms around; swimming to the swim start.
Swim
  • 2h 02m 48s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

A little upset at how slow this was as this was the first time in a long time I felt GOOD in open water. Wetsuit chafed; I felt it happening, tried to fix it; just decided to deal with it. Water was a bit chilly, but it felt fine; never felt cold. Navigation was HORRIBLE. I swear the buoys moved on me.
What would you do differently?:

Figure out sighting. Buy a different wetsuit. Work on technique. Figure out why I suck in open water.
Transition 1
  • 11m 24s
Comments:

Ironman transitions are a bit different than normal, but it felt okay. Actually ran from strippers to med tent and then med tent almost all the way to my gear bag. Never had that much energy before.

Not slice my foot open the day before so as to not have to stop at the med tent.
Bike
  • 7h 26m 2s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.07 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike sucked. Every damn pedal stroke hurt. Pre-ride a few days prior felt great; race day, awful. Stopped fairly often to pee/reapply butt butter - BEST MOVE EVER. Also sunscreened a lot which was smart on my part. Dropped nutrition at one point. Wanted to stop eating at mile 90, but didn't. Kept cadence around 90 or above - really happy with that. Average cadence is probably actually higher - cadence meter on bike hated the downhill on the Beeline for whatever reason.

Train more. Train more outside. Maybe not stop as much? Figure out lots of different food options.
Transition 2
  • 07m 52s
Comments:

Totally worth the extra time to put on the compression socks. Also I should probably feel bad for eating some of the volunteer pizza, but eh.

Not much. Maybe just do the socks myself instead of having the volunteer help - I was much more efficient.
Run
  • 6h 07m 29s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Could NOT run off the bike - kind of disappointing, given training, but with how my legs felt getting off the bike, I was not surprised. Was able to pick it up nicely and drop below 12:00/mi for a few of the middle miles of loop one which made me very happy. IT band neglected to act up, but gastro did. Was able to stop walking and get going again no problem. Able to keep up a nice walk clip, too.

... not swim in Tempe Town Lake so as to not get gastro issues? Honestly, I'm not sure why my butt got unhappy in the late miles. I think I probably should try to eat more real food during the day ... or put a probiotic in special needs.
Post race
Warm down:

FLY through the finisher's chute ... walk around to get fries and find husband. Then walk to pick up bike and gear bags ... finally die about an hour after crossing. Struggle back to the hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience? The sheer fact that I'm slow? Also my butt.

Event comments:

Volunteers and crowd support were fantastic. Run course made me want to kill myself at times ... as did the bike. If I had ridden outside more, maybe I wouldn't have had as many issues. I dunno. Overall, I'd do it again. When I can afford it.

Last updated: 2013-12-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
02:02:48 | 4224 yards | 02m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 101/106
Overall: 2553/2707
Performance: Average
Suit: blueseventy reaction longjohn
Course: Out and back. Looooooong.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 11:24
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
07:26:02 | 112 miles | 15.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 101/106
Overall: 2505/2707
Performance: Below average
25.6 mph max
Wind: Some
Course: Three loops. Beeline is much more of a hill than they would lead you to believe. A-holes.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:07:29 | 26.2 miles | 14m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 97/106
Overall: 2352/2707
Performance: Good
Garmin died at mile 25. :(
Course: Out and back and through and across and out and back and over and do it again. Fairly flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-12-01 11:44 AM

New user

Denver
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2013-12-01 3:31 PM
in reply to: #4906715

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
Congratulations for pushing though all the issues and finishing!! In the end, that's what we all want to do: cross that finish line and hear Mike Riley say your name, and that you're an IRONMAN!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Arizona Pages: 1 2

Started by tjfry
Views: 7554 Posts: 33

2006-04-13 6:25 PM tjfry

Ironman Arizona Pages: 1 2 3

Started by MikeB
Views: 10672 Posts: 60

2006-04-12 11:01 AM devotchkatata

Ironman Arizona

Started by stinger
Views: 1675 Posts: 7

2005-07-09 10:57 PM cadreamer

Ironman Arizona Pages: 1 2 3

Started by madcow
Views: 6488 Posts: 53

2005-04-20 11:48 AM DB8

Ironman Arizona - Tiger Phil's Story Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 7160 Posts: 74

2006-06-21 7:53 AM benihana
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : May 7, 2008
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 2
Thousands of spectators lined the shore and bridges overhead. When the announcer said, “Welcome to the best day of your life,” the possibility was still there for all of us.

date : May 22, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 4
It is my opinion that even though everyone else considered her a triathlete, she did not consider herself one. I think she still felt like she had no fitness direction and had given up on triathlon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!