80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 11h 36m 7s
Overall Rank = 588/2487
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 73/292
Pre-race routine:

This was my 2nd Ironman after doing IMTX in 2012 -
Woke up at 3am to get last minute things ready, had a quick breakfast at the hotel of orange juice, granola with yougurt, a banana and coffee. Met 3 other friends and took a cab at 4:30am to the swim start at Chakhanab. Dropped my special needs and post-race clothing bags, got my bike ready and tires checked and headed out to the buses that would take us to the swim start. Overall, feeling good and not too tired.
Event warmup:

Had a gel before entering the water. Jumped in the ocean 15 minutes before the start race and treaded water while talking to other athletes and waiting for the race start.
Swim
  • 51m 26s
  • 3800 meters
  • 01m 21s / 100 meters
Comments:

After having our swim practice cancelled twice the two days before race day, due to very strong winds and currents, we were notified the night before that our swim had been changed. They moved the swim start and shortened our swim course from 3.8km to 3.1km. We complained online the night before, but there was not much we could do other than hope they would not cancel the swim.
So on race morning we were fortunate that the conditions turned out to be much better with some strong current, mostly favorable, but no major winds.

Right after the pros got their start at 6:45, we went into the water and the ocean temp was really nice. We treaded water for about 15 minutes and then went for it. As expected, we had a lot of contact in the first 500-1000m including a good punch to my eye that nocked my goggles off. I was then able to settle into a comfortable pace and it really helped that this was a beautiful swim in clear ocean water, where you could watch small fish and other cool things (unlike my previous IM in Texas where you could not even see your hand in front of you).
The current worked in our favor most of the time, which made for a beautiful and really fast swim!

What would you do differently?:

Not much
Transition 1
  • 07m 18s
Comments:

As soon as I got out of the water I got the urge to release some liquids (my bad luck that it didn't happen during all the time I had to swim :-), so I lost a few minutes running to a porta potty before heading out to the changing tent. Since we were blessed with a fast swim, I took my time in the changing tent getting my sun sleeves on, my fitbit (wanted to break my step record and what better than an Ironman race) get some more sun block, etc. I then proceeded to get my bike and run to the start line where I was pleasantly surprised by my wife and baby boy who made it all the way down and very early in the morning to see me, this made for a great start to the bike!

Run a little faster
Bike
  • 5h 56m 32s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.85 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike consisted of three loops around the island. I was using my new tri-bike which I had only been able to test-ride on 3 long rides before the race (before that I was using a road bike), but the bike and course felt fast for the first ten miles until we hit the other side of the island. The eastern side was desolated, but with beautiful beaches and where we had our first taste of strong headwinds for the next 15 miles. Although it took more effort, I was trying hard to go only slightly higher than my HR target zone (at around 150-155). On the nutrition side, I started drinking only water and then switched to my first of 2 bottles of carbopro mixed with gatorade.
After getting out of the headwinds and turning back towards the populated western side of the island we got hit by a heavy downpour which helped cool things off a little. We then proceeded to the section where we could ride a little faster and then back again to the eastern side with the headwinds which were already stronger than on the 1st lap. Nutrition wise I was doing ok, taking endurolyte caps every 30 min and alternating between a gels and power bars. By the end of the 2nd lap it was getting really hot, but we got hit by a second strong downpour which helped cool things off again. By this time I was feeling some discomfort trying to hold the aero position for prolonged periods of time.
By the third lap I was a little tired but in good spirits and enjoying the experience. By the time we hit the desolated side of the island for the 3rd time, the head winds were even stronger than on the 2nd lap, which made for a really tough last section of the bike (especially trying to keep my HR down without slowing down too much). To make matters worst, I was working hard to pass a big group of riders when a rookie official on a scooter showed up and started accussing everyone of drafting. I explained to him that I was passing, not drafting, but he did not care and I got my first ever race violation and with that a tough 4 minute penalty. At the next stop only 3 of us (out of supposedly a group of 20) stopped to serve our violation and we had a nice lady there taking our time and then our picture to try to make us laugh a little while we lost our precious 4 minutes. I then proceeded to tackle the last hard part of the island with about 15 miles left to go to the end of the bike. By now I was feeling tired, sore from my new bike, and just looking forward to finishing the bike. Nutrition wise, I had not been able to eat any gels/bars for the last 45 minutes and just took water.

Practice more on my bike. Due to business travel and family events I had to skip a number of key long rides. Also get my new bike measured properly and spend more time on it.
Transition 2
  • 04m 12s
Comments:

Got into T2, dropped my bike, hit the porta potty, got my running shoes and hat and left for the run with no major issues. It was hot out there by now.

Nothing
Run
  • 4h 36m 39s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was a 3 loop run through the town and some of the hotels, which made for great crowd support. I started the run not feeling too good, so I settled into a slower pace while trying to stabilyze myself. I took some coke and pretzels at the first station to see if that would help with my stomach. After the first 3 miles and drinking some gatorade and water, I started feeling a little better and was able to improve my pace. I tried not to stop at aid stations, but just get what I needed and keep going. At the half-way point, mile 13, I was feeling so-so and had made it in a time of 2:06 which was not bad, especially if I could hold that pace for the rest of the race.
I got to see my wife and son outside of our hotel where they had a tent and support crowd which was great moral boost! A little after the half-way point I started experiencing severe knee pain (ITB) and became concerned about how it would affect my chances to finish the race. Since a DNF was not an option in my mind, I decided that as long as I could stop to stretch it out and reduce a pain when it became too strong, I would be able to finish regardless of how tough it became (and the famous saying was vivid in my mind "Pain is temporary pride is forever").
The other challenge during the run was that we got hit by 4 different heavy downpours all the way till the end, which flooded the streets and dispersed the suppot from the crowd. Eventhough my shoes were soaking wet (Asics Noosa 8), I was fortunate that I did not get any blisters nor any other major challenges, other than my knee.
By the third and final lap my knee pain was almost constant and intense, but I knew I did not had much farther to go, and even better, that my wife and baby son would be at the finish line waiting to see me. After digging really deep, I was able to find the last dose of energy that I needed to keep me going, stopping only to stretch my knee and that carried me all the way to the end of the 3rd lap. I then took the turn to the finishers chute with a huge sense of relief and took my time high-fiving everyone in the crowd and really letting the moment sink-in until I saw my wife and son along with the group of Guatemalan friends. I stopped to blow kisses to my wife and son, grabbed a Guatemalan flag from them, raised it over my head and ran slowly to the finish line with the biggest smile and feeling of joy one can experience. I was able to finish with a new PR of 11:36 which was 1:08 lower than the time for my first-ever Ironman in Texas the year before.

Train harder on the bike to come out better prepared for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

After crossing the finish line and getting my medal, I went directly to the massage tent where I got a great massage from a really nice lady which restored me almost back to normal. I then met my wife, son and friends from Guatemala who had also raced and their families who where cheering us. After a while cheering other athletes, I felt better and was able to go out for dinner and a beer!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Tough bike with strong winds wore me down a little and affected my nutrition intake. Intense knee pain during the run from the half-way mark also affected my time, where I had to stop around 15-20 times to stretch my ITB muscle. Running in heavy downpours with water soaked shoes did not help either.

Event comments:

Great race in a beautiful place which keeps you motivated despite of how bad you may be suffering! Pre-race and post-race activities could be a little better (I can only compare with IMTX) but the race location and the support from the locals more than make up for it. I will definitely do this race again in the near future and totally recommend it to others!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-11-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:51:26 | 3800 meters | 01m 21s / 100meters
Age Group: 111/292
Overall: 713/2487
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/412772883
Suit: tri top and short
Course: L shaped course modified at the last minute due to strong winds and currents the previous days. Also shortened from 3.8k to 3.1k
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:56:32 | 112 miles | 18.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 84/292
Overall: 694/2487
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/dashboard?cid=306322
Wind:
Course: 3 Loop Course cutting through the Island around the middle of it. Very strong winds on the eastern side of the Island for about 15-20 mile stretch
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
04:36:39 | 26.2 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 73/292
Overall: 625/2487
Performance: Average
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/412772892
Course: 3 loop run through the town of Cozumel
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-12-06 9:20 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Subject: Ironman Cozumel

2013-12-07 2:48 PM
in reply to: #4909734

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ironman Cozumel
Great report. I love the pictures. The photo of the finish with the Guatemalan flag should be framed and hung in your office. That is one of the best finish photos I have seen
2013-12-15 7:30 PM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Nicely done. Great effort and report.
2013-12-20 8:48 AM

User image

I definitely want to do this race as my first Ironman, either in 2015 or 2016. Starting to think that it wouldn't be crazy to put dry socks and shoes in my special needs run bag.
2014-11-04 6:06 PM
in reply to: kbeddoes

User image

Thanks for sharing. I am thinking about doing this race in 4 weeks due to the IMFL swim being canceled this past weekend. I completed the race, but feel like I want a full IM. Thoughts?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Cozumel Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IronMan Cozumel

Started by bojitri
Views: 2529 Posts: 3

2009-12-22 9:17 PM TriPatrick

IronMan Cozumel

Started by cwsiii
Views: 3730 Posts: 4

2009-12-22 9:32 PM tjfry

IronMan Cozumel

Started by trishie
Views: 5523 Posts: 15

2010-01-12 9:00 PM carlwithac

IronMan Cozumel

Started by soares3711
Views: 3088 Posts: 6

2009-12-04 6:23 PM tebeal

IronMan Cozumel

Started by robin314159
Views: 5221 Posts: 16

2009-12-05 12:38 PM KSH
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.