General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anaerobic Thresholds Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-09 5:06 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Anaerobic Thresholds
I had my run VO2 max tested a few weeks ago and my Anaerobic Threshold tested out at 160 bpm, which felt about right to me (RPE) and is consistent with the data that I capture in my training logs. Based on all of the other data, I feel like I can pretty confidently construct my training zones for the run (i.e. Z2 (137-145)). I'm a little lost on my bike thresholds. I pulled a few training logs from last summer, I averaged around 130 bpms and had maxes in the 160 bpm range -- these were long (70 mile) moderately intense training rides. I also pulled data from a 70.3 that I did in Sept where I averaged 138 bpm and maxed at 165 bpm -- I probably went too hard on this race during the bike as my run time was 23% slower that my best stand-alone 13.1 time. The other piece of info is that I have a really difficult time getting my heart rate up to those levels on my trainer even though I'm working by butt off. I did an FTP test (i.e. warm up for 30 mins and 20 mins all out) this morning on the trainer where I was going all out. Trainer Road estimated my LTHR at 125 bpm, which seems really low to me although my heart rate was 130-140 bpm during the 20 minute test. My gut tells me that my LHTR outside is probably around 140 bpms. Any advice would be helpful. I'm at the beginning stages of training for an Ironman distance race.

2013-12-10 12:03 PM
in reply to: psuross92

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Anaerobic Thresholds

What protocol did you (they?) use to set your run training zones?  Although run and bike thresholds will differ, your bike sounds (without more info) too low.

2013-12-10 6:38 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

New user
I agree and that's what I'm trying to figure out. My run VO2 max was tested on a treadmill and a face mask, where they measured the oxygen in the room relative to the oxygen that my body was able to process. This was on a treadmill similar to a stress test where they increases the incline and speed over specific intervals. For my bike LTHR, I tested in on my own using Trainer Road and my power meter -- I did a 20 minute test where I went as hard as I could for those 20 minutes.
2013-12-27 11:41 AM
in reply to: psuross92

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

As a general rule of thumb your bike LT is around 10-12 bpm lower than the run. For now you can ballpark it and watch your data streams to refine it later on. If you are training with power though HR is a secondary training metric.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anaerobic Thresholds Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lactate threshold tests in middle of IM training

Started by NashinAK
Views: 1986 Posts: 8

2011-04-27 1:54 PM JohnnyKay
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.

date : March 4, 2010
comments : 0
Have you been thinking about getting a lab test done to determine your Lactate Threshold number for generating precise heart-rate zones? Follow AJ as he subjects himself to this grueling test.
date : December 20, 2009
Discussions on lactate threshold testing and when to do LT workouts, threshold and tempo workouts, and time off after a full Ironman.

date : January 22, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
This month, drills make up about 15% of each workout, and we’re adding in a bit of sprinting/anaerobic work.
date : May 21, 2007
author : AMSSM
CPET physiology and the applications toward which CPET can be applied, with special attention to endurance athletes.

date : February 13, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
Some anaerobic training is essential. You will need to have some speed to break out of the pack, turn a buoy at a proper angle, or to lose the annoying swimmer behind you that's grabbing your ankles.
date : October 30, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
By focusing on your limiters during the off-season you can accrue your highest rate of return for training time invested and set yourself up well for next season.

date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?