BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2013-12-23 1:03 PM
in reply to: triguy1043

Subject: RE: Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - OPEN
HR. I figure as long as I'm in the zone I'm supposed to be, that's the best I can do powerwise at the moment without getting out of aerobic(or whichever one I need to be in).

By the way, when you guys first started running, were your HR's all over the place? I'm jogging nice and slow and it's at 165+ after 10 minutes. WIll it eventually calm down?

2013-12-23 2:03 PM
in reply to: budlizard

Don't underestimate the time it takes to warm up and the effect that has on your heart rate. Even now I'll see heart rates much higher than they should be for the first 10/15 minutes of a run, but then after I'm in the pace everything will settle down. And while the rates may change, for us amateurs I believe that there is always a warmup period before we get into the true workout zone.
2013-12-23 3:08 PM
in reply to: runningmon

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by runningmon

Don't underestimate the time it takes to warm up and the effect that has on your heart rate. Even now I'll see heart rates much higher than they should be for the first 10/15 minutes of a run, but then after I'm in the pace everything will settle down. And while the rates may change, for us amateurs I believe that there is always a warmup period before we get into the true workout zone.

I think that there are three factors at work causing the initial heart rate spike: first is your body's natural reaction to the initial stress - even though you know you are about to work out, your lower level systems are going "Holy Cow - what's going on!"; next is the heart rate strap needs to get a better pickup (from your sweaty skin) and last is the algorithm used to compute the heart rate probably needs some initial data to settle in properly.

The last two are just WAG's, but they seem to make sense.
2013-12-23 8:41 PM
in reply to: budlizard

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by budlizard HR. I figure as long as I'm in the zone I'm supposed to be, that's the best I can do powerwise at the moment without getting out of aerobic(or whichever one I need to be in). By the way, when you guys first started running, were your HR's all over the place? I'm jogging nice and slow and it's at 165+ after 10 minutes. WIll it eventually calm down?

When you say nice and slow are you talking about a pace or how you feel?  when I first started running, I would start way too fast, for me my HR would spike and I would be gassed and have to walk.  Over time, I learned the importance of a proper warm up and that helped me ease into a pace I could maintain for longer periods and my HR was more stable.  Today, I start nearly every run with 5' of walking, 10' of a conversational pace run and some drills before embarking on anything speedier.  My HR eases into my normal Z2 effort.   Eventually you might want to do an actual run test to establish appropriate heart rate zones for your runs.  I do know that BT has a protocol you can follow for the test.

2013-12-23 9:50 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
He spikes are very common
Once you figure out how to contro them they disappear

VIA GOOD WARM UP OR STARTING A TBA SLOWER PACE
2013-12-23 9:59 PM

Currently I am trying to figure out which one to get...I like the multi-sport option so I've been looking at the TomTom and garmin 310 and 910 but not sure which one is the best.. plus my worry is more with the running having something on my wrist which such easy access to look at I feel like i would look to much at my watch and get discouraged, right now I just use runkeeper and it tell me when i hit every mile my pace for that mile and over all pace which I like cause then I can focus on the run.

2013-12-24 6:35 AM
in reply to: ladawnm23

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi all! Is there room for one more? If so, I can post a bio later! Happy Holidays!
2013-12-24 6:52 AM
in reply to: DDVMM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
We have room only a few slots left.

I will be back on after. Christmas.

Hope you all have a great Christmas and enjoy the True Reason for the Season!!

Merry Christmas and be blessed

Jeremy
2013-12-24 7:32 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by ladawnm23 Currently I am trying to figure out which one to get...I like the multi-sport option so I've been looking at the TomTom and garmin 310 and 910 but not sure which one is the best.. plus my worry is more with the running having something on my wrist which such easy access to look at I feel like i would look to much at my watch and get discouraged, right now I just use runkeeper and it tell me when i hit every mile my pace for that mile and over all pace which I like cause then I can focus on the run.

I have the 310XT and like it quite a bit (plus it's cheaper since it's an old model).  If you want to monitor swimming, the 910 is a better option.  You can easily set either unit to monitor only HR while you are doing your run if you feel pace will be a de-motivator.  Over time, I think it will be helpful to have access to both.  My two cents.

2013-12-24 8:43 AM

User image

, Lisboa
I've recently purchased an 310XT and I had some of the same doubts that you have.
I'd love to have a 910XT, but with the 310XT so cheap at the moment, and as an athlete on a budget, I couldn't justify the +160USD for the 910 just for the swimming features.
The tomtom multisport was another one I had on my list, I love the design and it's really slim, unlike the 310xt that's monster But as far as I know, the tomtom doesn't really have a good interval training support like the Garmin 310/910, although TomTom are still updating their firmware with more features, don't really know how it stands at the time.

I haven't yet training using HR, on the turbo I'm using the Virtual Power feature from Trainerroad, I know that the readings are not accurate, but they are consistent and that's what I need to know if I'm improving or not.

How do you use the HR on the runs? Witch zones do you target? My usual week have 2 recovery runs, 1 interval run and 1 tempo run. I know that I should at least use the HR for my recovery runs, but what about the interval training? At the moment I usually do 10/15mins warmup,then 800m/1200m/1600m/1200m/800m all out with 400m rest between.

Merry Christmas all
2013-12-24 9:12 AM
in reply to: lsousa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
I would suggest that if you are gong to start HR training. Not to look at pace.

When I race I only have 2 screens up on my garmin
HR. And overall time.

If you do the 30 min hR max test and establish good zones. ( I only use 3 zones for IM racing I use 4-5 zones for. All other training)

I watched my pace drop by 2.5 mins per mile at the same HR as I did a whole year of concentrated training only using HR.

I suggest do not look at pace while running but look at it upon completion of the run.

I also do benchmark runs once a month where I runs the same course and TT it so check for improvements and changes in HR ( higher avg and mhigher max).

2013-12-24 9:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
2013-12-24 9:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Here's a Christmas presents as well

Here's a bit of motivation

Www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z42YUjgpW3c

This will show you a little about me

Jeremy

Edited by triguy1043 2013-12-24 9:26 AM
2013-12-24 3:16 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by triguy1043 Here's a Christmas presents as well Here's a bit of motivation Www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z42YUjgpW3c This will show you a little about me Jeremy

Absolutely love it!

2013-12-24 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4915057

User image

Extreme Veteran

NAME / username: Michele/DDVMM

STORY: I am a busy mom and a veterinary internist. this will be my fourth season of Tri. I completed my first HIM last year and my first marathon.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married to a very supportive husband with 4 very busy kids: 14yo girl, 12yo girl, 10yo boy and 5 yo girl.

CURRENT TRAINING: I work under a coach and she tells me what to do. Just finished up an easy off season block.

2013 RACES
My two A races were Eagleman HIM and the Marine Corps Marathon. I did a couple other sprints and half marathons.

2014 plans and RACES:
So far:
Cape May sprint June
Challenge Family AC 140.6

Weight loss: I am always trying to lose 5-10 pounds. I eat very clean with no processed foods and very minimal natural sugars.

Thanks for the add Jeremy!

2013-12-24 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4915057

User image

Extreme Veteran

NAME / username: Michele/DDVMM

STORY: I am a busy mom and a veterinary internist. this will be my fourth season of Tri. I completed my first HIM last year and my first marathon.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married to a very supportive husband with 4 very busy kids: 14yo girl, 12yo girl, 10yo boy and 5 yo girl.

CURRENT TRAINING: I work under a coach and she tells me what to do. Just finished up an easy off season block.

2013 RACES
My two A races were Eagleman HIM and the Marine Corps Marathon. I did a couple other sprints and half marathons.

2014 plans and RACES:
So far:
Cape May sprint June
Challenge Family AC 140.6

Weight loss: I am always trying to lose 5-10 pounds. I eat very clean with no processed foods and very minimal natural sugars.

2013-12-25 1:23 AM

I really want in this group if there is room for one more bio to follow
2013-12-25 9:41 AM
in reply to: jermaine.counts78

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Send a bio in !!!

GROUP IS NOW CLOSED
2013-12-25 4:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Key West, Florida
I would like to join this group for 2014!

NAME / username:
Corey / lwoodtri

STORY:
I was a triathlete for about 10 years before surgery sidelined me and I am finally getting back to a place where I can begin training and racing again. I have been out for 2 years, have moved from Florida to Washington DC, and have had a hard time getting used to not being able to train all year long. That is one thing I certainly miss from Florida. While i was racing triathlons, I was also road racing with a FL cycling team when I was living down there, as an overall / time trials, so cycling strong, run middle of the road, and swimming all I can do to keep from drowning.

In this time of non-training I have manged to put on 25 pounds over my 160lb race weight so I am looking to drop the weight and get back to sprint / international form this year, and train for HIM in 2015.

FAMILY STATUS:
My girlfriend and I have been together for 15 years, and we are going to both train together this year. She has not committed to running any TrI's but we are going to train together.

CURRENT TRAINING:
None.

2013 RACES/ results
None

2014 plans and RACES:
Local Sprint / Olympic races

WEIGHTLOSS:
Want to Drop 25lbs in 6 months.
2013-12-25 5:06 PM

Hi Michele
How was the Eagleman HIM...I signed up for the 2014 Eagleman it will be my first one
2013-12-25 6:01 PM

User image

, Lisboa
Originally posted by triguy1043

Here's a Christmas presents as well

Here's a bit of motivation

Www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z42YUjgpW3c

This will show you a little about me

Jeremy

That's awesome, as an aspiring Ironman I really love these kind of videos, thanks for sharing.

And thanks for the HR basics link. I'm also currently reading "The Triathlete's Training Bible" from Joe Friel, and I think it also have a little information on HR training, I'm hoping to take all the info I can get to better prepare for 2014.

2013-12-25 9:30 PM

AME / username: Jermaine/jermaine.counts78

STORY: I am in Law Enforcment(work weird hours) along with being an Army Reservist.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married with a 5yr old daugther.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently using the Olympic Program from www.trinewbies.com. I mainly use it for me two weakest events which are the swim and running.

2013 RACES
I completed two sprints in 2013. I had a third sprint that I only competed in the swim and run because I had a bike malfunction.

2014 plans and RACES:
So far:
Dare to Tri: Fort Gordon, GA
Anderson YMCA Triathlon: Anderson, SC
Greenwood Triathlon(Olympic): Greenwood, SC
Lake Logan HIM: Canton, NC

Weight loss: I am always trying to lose 20 - 25 pounds. I just went and meet with the nutrionist at my job and she put me on 2200 calorie diet where I can consume up 275 good Carbs.

My goals are of course to get faster. I would love to get in the top five of the Clydesdale Division for some of my races. Conquer my first HIM and try to get more minorities involved in this great sport.

2013-12-26 1:33 PM
in reply to: jermaine.counts78

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Hope everyone had a wonderful christmas!!

So the question is where is everyone in their training?

Off season
Out of season
Preseason
Or in season

I am just coming off a three month running block 6 runs a week. Avg about 25 miles total per week

Jan1st

I get to hit the bike again

Then I will be doing
3-4 bikes per week
3-4 runs per week
And strength training 3 times a week

No swimming for me for a few months still
2013-12-26 6:05 PM

User image

, Lisboa
I've been mostly running and swimming on the last few months, and starting January 5th, I'll have 16 weeks to prepare for my first HIM (or Oly, depending on how the training goes). I'm still checking some training plans to take some cues from, but I'll probably end up doing my own plan, I know that won't be as good but there are some workouts that I really enjoy and don't want to stop doing them =)
I'm aiming for 3 workouts/week for each discipline.
2013-12-27 12:30 AM

Offseason to preseason. I'm coming off of several weeks of PT on my shoulder, and have been out of the pool entirely since then. Hopefully I'll get back in the water soon, possibly even tomorrow! Realistically, I'm going to try to balance the Jorge Winter Cycling plan with rebuilding my swim base after the break. Since my first couple of races will likely be Duathlons, bike training should build up earlier, then I can pull back from the bike focus around March and start blasting the swim. First full tri will probably be May?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.