BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2014-01-16 8:39 PM
in reply to: Hepcat09

User image

Subject: RE: KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED
Omne, you will have no problem at all with your Sprint Tri! And if the deepest point is 4-5', you can always just stand up if you feel panicky during the swim. Heck - I doggie paddled and held on to a kayak next to the buoy for 5 minutes while I rested on my first sprint tri.

Hepcat - thanks for the encouragement. And YOU are doing great! I have learned to love using the pull buoy after hating it the first night. It gets easier so much faster than everything else.

Backstroke really wears me out for some reason, and I get a lot of water up my nose. I'm glad you're finding it a good stroke to rest. I have yet to find mine, but I think the breast stroke will be it, if I can fight off the panic attacks.

Do you do anything like spitting into your goggles to help keep them from fogging up? You can also try a 50/50 mixture of cheap baby shampoo and water and spray in them. Then rinse once. I use that trick when snorkeling and it works great.

I did what you suggested, Sarah, and added another 2 laps last night without stopping, so I'm at 8 laps (200m) but even touching the wall and pushing off seems like I'm resting. Maybe I should touch and go without pushing off. This is the hardest thing I've ever done and I hate that it's not coming as naturally like running or biking.

And yes, it's SavageMan 70.0 in Sept. I am totally insane for signing up, but I've been dreaming about that engraved brick (for biking up the Westernport Wall without falling) for over a decade - It's been on my "bucket" list. Then I read somewhere that they are running out of room for the bricks and this year may be it. So I have to try. At least it's only 3 hours from me so I can practice during the summer. I'll be sure to post helmet cam practice sessions of the wall.

2014-01-17 2:56 PM
in reply to: chuff920

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
Hi everyone! It's looking like I'm having another Friday where I'd hoped to get to the gym in the afternoon, but didn't end up having the time, but I did workout the past three days, so all is not lost. Hopefully, I'll regain some momentum and get in workouts this weekend too.

Omne - Congratulations on officially signing up for your first race! That's nice that the lake will be so shallow. Unless it gets churned up a lot, you should probably be able to see the bottom, which I know is comforting for some people.

John - Don't worry, you'll gain fitness in your shoulders soon enough and they won't be as sore. Also, for the goggles fogging, I do what Carolyn mentioned and spit in mine too. Just spit on the inside, rub in around and quick dunk them to rinse it off before putting them on. Seems to work well enough for me!

Carolyn - Wow, I'm definitely impressed you're doing Savageman and I can't wait to see some helmet cam footage of that hill! I feel your frustration about swimming not coming along as quickly as biking and running. Sounds like you're improving though, which is great.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
2014-01-17 3:30 PM
in reply to: KiterChick

User image

, Connecticut
I signed up at a local YMCA to practice the coaching I get in the master's group. I figure I'll get the coaching once a week (45 min away) and then practice what I learn closer and cheaper. That session was frustrating (only my 4th time swimming), but I still can't go more than one length without stopping and gasping for breath. I can only go 25 yards, and even to reach the end of the length I'm dying to get there so I can rest. #humiliating

I found a swim suit that isn't awful online at swimoutlet.com, it's a polyester TYR plain black suit and it was only $43, half the price of others I've seen, and I heard the polyester suits last a lot longer.

I returned my Pearl Izumi one piece tri suit but also got a tri-top from swimoutlet.com. I have noticed that the tri clothing is SUPER tight/fitted compared to regular every day lycra clothing. I'm guessing that's because they go under the wetsuit and have to be almost like compression gear. It's not very fun, and I am determined to be 10 pounds lighter by September. Should be doable considering that's just over a pound a MONTH.

It's nice to know I'm not alone with wanting to lose weight and not being able to swim.
2014-01-17 4:17 PM
in reply to: #4933307

User image

Lakeside, California
Sarah and Chuff, I spit in the goggles, I even had a bottle of anti-flogger that I used to use at work for bronchoscopes but even that didn't help. Guess I'm just that hot blooded! lol. Hopefully these new goggles will work better. My schedule is going to be interrupted next week because I'm caddying for a golf tournament on Monday and Wednesday so I will still get a workout but it will be lugging golf clubs around a course for 4 to 5 hours. I think that should still count as a workout
2014-01-18 1:21 PM
in reply to: GailForce

User image

GailForce - good for you for signing up at the YMCA! Don't worry about only being able to finish 25 yds now. I was in the same boat, and 3 weeks later I was able to do 150 yds. I have to concentrate on swimming slowly, because in our Master's Group, most everyone is training for swim meets, so they are all about speed.

Polyester swim suits will last many years, or so I've been told.

My tri top is also VERY tight - I could have gone a size up, but at least I don't have to worry about wearing any extra support under it.

2014-01-19 1:52 PM

User image

Ended the week with four runs totaling 17 miles (3.5, 3.5 tempo run, 3 easy and 7 long), plus two 30-minute rides on my girlfriend's spinning bike. Still haven't made it to the pool yet, which I know is terrible of me considering it will definitely be the weakest part of my tri.

2014-01-19 1:54 PM

User image

New user

I had a really awful week.  

Everywhere I turned at work, equipment was breaking. I didn't get half of my workouts in, and the stress derailed my diet.

Looking forward to a new week. There are only 12 weeks between me and my first half iron. I am worried I won't be prepared enough.... :/ 

2014-01-19 6:07 PM
in reply to: missyw2you

User image

Melissa-- Sorry to hear about your rough week. :-( It can be so frustrating when you have the best intentions and desire to complete your workouts and then circumstances outside your control get in the way. Here's to a wonderful new start and moving forward for next week. *Hug*

As for me, I found a class to help with swimming at the YMCA, which is described as follows: Level 2: For adults and teens who know how to swim but want to gain better technique and endurance. Do you guys think this class will be good enough to learn technique for the tri (freestyle)? Or should I look elsewhere to work on my swimming? Swimming is my absolute weakest. I took lessons as a kid and I can stay afloat, but I do not know proper technique at all anymore.

I found a gym that has $100 joining fee, then only $20/month (XSport Fitness). There are bikes, treadmills, and a 4-lane half-Olympic size swimming pool. It's open 24/7. Does this sound like a good idea to you guys? I figured I could practice what I learn at the Y swim class at the gym and also do brick workouts there (when I'm ready). The local high school also has 2 hours of free swimming twice a week. Thoughts? There is also an LA Fitness nearby, but I haven't checked it out yet.

My trial membership at XSport Fitness expired a few days ago, so I haven't done workouts since then. However, I have lost 1.5 pounds since starting to (slowly but surely) train for the tri. Yay!
2014-01-20 8:54 AM
in reply to: Carolyn24

User image

Carolyn - Does your Y offer private or semi-private lessons? I'm in the same boat as you: I won't drown, but I know nothing of actual freestyle swimming. I'm signing up for a few private lessons so that I can get the basics down, before moving to the masters swim classes.

I actually went to the pool this morning, bright and early before it got crowded. My biggest problem will be breathing. I have a hard time exhaling through my nose in the water, like I have to fight the urge to immediately breathe in. I would stay in the shallow end, try breathing under water and then coming up for air. Then I'd move about a third of the way down the pool and try bilateral breathing to the wall. At the end, I tried to make it the full length of the pool (25 yard I believe), but by the end I was holding my breath in. Oh well, we all started somewhere.

Anyone got any beginner tricks to getting comfortable breathing while swimming?
2014-01-20 6:43 PM
in reply to: Carolyn24

Originally posted by Carolyn24

I found a gym that has $100 joining fee, then only $20/month (XSport Fitness). There are bikes, treadmills, and a 4-lane half-Olympic size swimming pool. It's open 24/7. Does this sound like a good idea to you guys? I figured I could practice what I learn at the Y swim class at the gym and also do brick workouts there (when I'm ready). The local high school also has 2 hours of free swimming twice a week. Thoughts? There is also an LA Fitness nearby, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Carolyn, this seems like a great deal for the gym. I would love a gym that is open 24/7 and the $20/month seems affordable once you get beyond the $100 joining fee. My gym is $33/month and although there wasn't a joining fee I had to commit to a 1 year contract. Also the pool at my gym seems like it is rarely available when I have time to swim because like the Y they have swimming lessons etc. in the evening so the pool isn't open for lane swims. I think having everything all in one place at your gym will make it easier for training, if it were me I would go for it
2014-01-21 12:57 AM

Surrey, England
Hi All,

Have been quite unwell last few weeks so whilst reading have done very little recently, which is annoying!! Well done to all for those successes in the pool as this is where I am now going to focus my attention and reassuring to hear in a few weeks can see a big improvement.

Am very jealous of the cost of the gym as ones local to me are £60-80 pm and have decided to cancel my £76pm as not using enough and join local Tri Club which is much cheaper (£23pm) and has swim/run coached sessions and a long Sunday ride. Thought will give more inspiration over the gym and force me to head outside more often

Anyway I have no excuses any more as my 20 week plan starts today so time to focus

2014-01-21 6:18 AM
in reply to: Raging

User image

, Connecticut
My local YMCA costs $42/month. I got out of the $90 joining fee with a holiday coupon. It's not too cheap, but I need it. I figure I'll cancel once spring comes around and it's warm enough to hit the open water with a wetsuit. My plan is to be somewhat competent by that time since it's more dangerous in open water.

Last night I swam for 40 minutes, still sputtering and struggling at the end of each length. Thank got my YMCA has a ledge at the deep end. I stand on it, catch my breath and concentrate on the pointers I got from my master's group lessons. Twisting my body, bilateral breathing and relaxing. I still can't make it 50 yards without stopping, but that was my 4th or 5th time in the pool so I'm trying to be patient. It's not easy.

I do know that I have a few good strokes here and there and once I nail the swimming I will be pretty dang proud of myself for conquering a new sport at the age of 38. You can teach and old dog new tricks. I hope in 20 years I'm just as adventurous to learn something new. Congrats to all of us giving this a shot, it will be worth it!
2014-01-21 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4933932

User image

New user
Yeah my Y is about the same, 41$/month. And it's pretty much my only option for swimming. Anywhere else is 35mins minimum away from me and I need training to be as convenient as possible. XD I find swimming to be the most time consuming training, by the time you get ready, head out to the pool - it adds 20 extra minutes. Then to shower and drive back afterwards. Nothing is as easy as throwing on your sneakers and heading out the door.

Ran last night, 3 miles with negative splits -- 13:23//12:41//12:32. Not too bad. Especially considering my running has been the most lacking. Trainer ride today!
2014-01-21 1:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
Hi everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend. Mine started off very productively with a trainer ride on Saturday, but then I got caught up preparing to have some people over on Sunday and was busy with housework yesterday, so I haven't worked out since. Hoping to make it to the gym tonight for a run and a short swim to get back on the wagon. We're supposed to get some more snow tonight and it's going to get really cold again, so I should probably get used to going to the gym for a while.

Gail - Yes, tri clothing is definitely not the most flattering. The good news is that most people will be wearing it, so you're not going to stand out. I know that probably doesn't make you feel much better, but it's true!

John - Wow, I guess you really did have some super foggy goggles. Hope the new ones work out!

Melissa - Sorry work has been so stressful lately. You still have 12 weeks to go until your race, so there's still plenty of time. Do you feel as though you're at least getting most of your key workouts in?

Carolyn - The YMCA swim class sounds good, although you might want to just ask them if it would be a good fit for what you're looking for before you plunk down the money. Also, that gym you asked about joining sounds like a decent deal. The $100 joining fee is definitely pretty steep, but $20/month is pretty cheap (I pay $45/month), so if you're a member for long enough, the joining fee cost will dilute out. You could look into the HS option, but only having time two days a week is pretty limiting, so you should consider that.

Omne - You mentioned you're working on bilateral breathing. Are your breathing problems only when you try that, or just in general. If they're in general, perhaps considering getting comfortable breathing on one side before you switch to bilateral. If you're fine until you switch to bilateral, however, yes, this is a difficult switch as you're getting less oxygen on average than you would if you were breathing on the same side every other stroke. You'll just have to take it slow and get comfortable with the timing. It takes time, but you'll get it!

Andy - Sorry you haven't been feeling well, but glad to hear you're on the upswing. Good luck with the start of your 20 week plan!

2014-01-21 3:58 PM
in reply to: #4935717

User image

Lakeside, California
Sarah - yeah the old goggles were bad. The new ones were awesome today!! I think today's swim was easier because the goggles were better! Lol. Did another 500m and managed to take less rest time and actually made 250m of freestyle albeit with the pull buoy. The rest I did backstroke and I felt like I could have done more but I'm trying to be patient. When I have more freestyle lengths than rest stroke than I will up my distance. I. Actually getting excited that I just might learn how to swim!
2014-01-22 3:55 PM
in reply to: KiterChick

User image

Originally posted by KiterChick

Omne - You mentioned you're working on bilateral breathing. Are your breathing problems only when you try that, or just in general. If they're in general, perhaps considering getting comfortable breathing on one side before you switch to bilateral. If you're fine until you switch to bilateral, however, yes, this is a difficult switch as you're getting less oxygen on average than you would if you were breathing on the same side every other stroke. You'll just have to take it slow and get comfortable with the timing. It takes time, but you'll get it!

Oh it's definitely just in general. I need to get more comfortable exhaling through my nose will in the water. I have to fight my body's natural reaction to hold it in. I've been reading up on breathing exercises to help out. Namely, learning to sink by breathing out underwater (in the shallow end, of course, so that the Y's lifeguard doesn't freak out!) and then holding the edge and practicing breathing out, and then tilting my head to the side and breathing in. I'll try these on Friday when I'm back in the pool.

In other news, I crushed a 4 mile run on Monday, when Memphis had an impromptu beautiful day. I followed that up with a humbling bike ride on the trainer last night.

2014-01-23 6:30 PM
in reply to: #4935949

User image

Ok, not a bad couple of weeks. Have made good progress in the pool. There is hope after all. Now doing 100m sets and am starting to think about form. Any good links? Managing to even do a few lengths bilateral breathing, but mainly on one side, though do try to alternate which side.

Managed 2 runs this week, 7km and 4km. The usual Parkrun on Saturday makes for a good week for me. Not been out much on the bike... Must try harder, maybe tomorrow. Might have to think about a trainer.
2014-01-23 7:22 PM
in reply to: #4937480

User image

, Connecticut
Swimsmooth.com is a great site. There's an app too. You can sign up for a newsletter. Lots of great info as well as an illustrated guy with perfect form that you can watch from any angle.
2014-01-24 6:34 AM
in reply to: GailForce

User image

Hi all,

I'm in Puerto Rico right now, on a catamaran for 10 days, and trying to keep on track with my workouts. I had to buy a set of 20 lb dumbbells since we are not allowed access to the gym at the yacht club here. My adductor tendon is still tweaky, so still no running...dammit. But I'm swimming daily near the beach which totally freaks me out because there are...you know...sharks. I haven't seen any, but I just know they're there.

The visibility is 0-1', so if nothing else, I'm getting in some good practice on sighting.

I can't decide which I like better-the taste of salt water or chlorine.

I'm jealous of everyone who has a Y near them.My gym doesn't have a pool. So that's $30/mth which includes all classes, and then another $3 per visit for the olympic pool which is close by.

I can't remember who it was that mentioned they were learning the "Total Immersion" method for triathlon swimming. How is that going?? I have the book and watched the videos, and it makes sense, but it's not what the coaches of the Masters team are teaching.

2014-01-24 12:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
Hi everyone! Unfortunately, I have to keep this brief since I'm trying to wrap things up for the week before heading up to VT for the weekend. I promise I'll write more after I get back. Sounds like you're all making great progress though, so way to go!

Not much to report here. It's been too cold to run outside lately, and then I found out that almost all of the treadmills at my gym are not accessible because the area they're in was damaged by water. I'm assuming it was from a burst pipe. Not cool! The forecast into next week is still looking cold too, so now I'm going to have to either really bundle up and brave it or go way out of my way to find another Y that has treadmill access. Not what I needed when I was finally getting back into things!

As for the rest of the week, I did get in a trainer ride on Wednesday and a slow, but relatively long, swim yesterday. I'd hoped to get in a trainer ride today before heading up north, but it's not looking like I'll have time. Tomorrow, we're hopefully going snowshoeing though and I'll hopefully get on the trainer when we get back on Sunday, so all is not lost.

Meanwhile, my eating has been VERY mixed. Last night was a huge salad, but then cookies and popcorn. At least I've started working out enough to halt the weight gain. Just need to try harder to get the scale to start moving down.

Have a great weekend everyone!
2014-01-25 6:24 AM
in reply to: #4937504

User image

Thanks Gail, swim smooth is a great site, now just to try it out.

Great run today, did my usual 5km, then did it again! First time ever of doing a 10km. I have a whiteboard at home with monthly challenges on. 10 k was the first......

2014-01-25 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4938339

User image

New user
My weight loss has been non-existent too. :/ it's frustrating. But my workouts feel good and I'm trying to keep that in mind. It's not all about the number on the scale.
2014-01-25 6:29 PM

User image

Melissa,

I hope you're having a better week and are feeling better about having enough time to train.
2014-01-25 6:50 PM

User image

New user

Originally posted by chuff920 Melissa, I hope you're having a better week and are feeling better about having enough time to train.

YES! This week was much better than last. It will always be challenging to find/make time for everything. This morning for example, I skipped my swim to hang out with my boyfriend because we are on different shifts and I have to work all weekend. So it is the only time I'll see him until next weekend.

I work 6 days minimum, when you add in travel time it's 10hr days minimum. It's a lot. So then to add time to grocery shop, cook, do laundry, all on top of training, it gets exhausting pretty quickly. I am going to keep pushing.

I felt good about my workouts this week. My running is still struggling. :/ I swapped my swim earlier in the week for a run, so I didn't end up swimming at all this week. But I think it was good to get an extra run in instead. My swimming has felt pretty strong and I'll definitely be hitting the pool Monday. I had a great long trainer ride this week too. So It's nice to feel I'm moving in the right direction again. I'm taking my plan one week at a time right now and trying not to feel overwhelmed or panicked about my ultimate goal. It's refreshing to have a few good workouts and feel confident again.

The scale however has not been so kind. Luckily my boyfriend keeps it hidden away - because otherwise I would be an emotional roller-coaster all the time. haha. I know it's silly to get so wrapped up in a number, but having spent the majority of my adolescence obese, it really hits me hard when I catch the scale going up. On the flip side, I do feel a little leaner and stronger. So I am going to take a little pride in that and stay focused, keep eating healthy (ish) and train according to schedule.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend. It is snowing here in Ohio and I am currently at work. Such is adulthood I suppose....

2014-01-25 7:17 PM
in reply to: #4938386

User image

Lakeside, California
Mellisa, keep the scale hidden! That's my advice. I have decided that I will only step on it at the end of each month and only then. I too can get caught up in the roller coaster ride that is my fluctuating weight loss saga. I get too caught up in the numbers and forget what progress I have already made. So now I just try to focus on my training and go from there.

I do have a question for all though. Has anyone here ever done an indoor triathlon? I just saw one advertised for here in San Diego that is 10 minutes in a 25 yd pool followed by 20 minutes on a spin bike and then 15 minutes on a treadmill. They determine the winners based on the distance in each duration. It's at the end of Feb and I think I would like to do it but I just wondered if anyone here ever has the pleasure to do one and how did you like it?

My swim is getting better I think, I love my new goggles, and I am feeling a little more confident in the pool. Still lots of work to do though! Thanks everyone!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 11

RELATED POSTS

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 37199 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24195 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16000 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29358 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.