BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2014-01-27 2:27 PM
in reply to: Hepcat09

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED
Hi everyone! Had a great weekend in VT, although being away didn't do much to help keep my workouts very regular. I did go on a 10K snowshoe hike on Saturday at least, so I wasn't a complete sloth. Probably not going to get in a workout today either, but I plan to hop on the bike tomorrow. Also trying to get my eating back on track now that I'm not on vacation. I really need to make a point of cooking for myself more. Anyone have any healthy recipes you'd like to share?

Andy - That's awesome you ran 10K!

Melissa - Glad you're having a better week at this point. If hiding the scale works better for you, then perhaps that's the way to go. I'm not really opposed to weighing yourself even up to once per day, but that's only if you can use that number to get a feel of what your normal weight fluctuations are. If it's going to freak you out to see a 2 lb. difference though, then it's not worth doing it too often.

John - I've never done an indoor triathlon, but it sounds interesting. It probably won't really help you get a feel of what an actual tri will feel like in terms of transitions and such, but if you're just interested in doing it to get in a good workout in all three disciplines, then I say you should go for it! You will at least get an idea of what it's like to do all three in a row. Apparently, they're having an indoor one at my gym in a couple of months too, but it's on a weekend, and my gym is close to my work, so it won't be very convenient. Guess I'll have to wait until the outdoor season starts in May.

Hope everyone's week is off to a good start!

2014-01-28 2:32 PM
in reply to: KiterChick

User image

Went back to the pool yesterday morning, and things went a bit better. I did some bobbing exercises before I even started swimming, to help with my breathing. I also focused on breathing bilaterally for the entire length of the pool. All told I did 500 yards, though I had to stop after each length. But I was feeling more comfortable, and I think I can do enough to get to where I want to be by May.

My running is really coming along too. My goal for my March half marathon is sub-2:00, which would be a 12 minute PR. My long run on Saturday was 8 miles and I knocked it out with a 9:22 pace, just 12 seconds off that sub-2:00 pace I would need.

I also did some bike shopping. I've been looking at the basic models: Trek 1 series (though a Madone 2.1 is only $150 more), Specialized Allez Elite, Fuji Roubaix 3.0. I really liked the Treks and that particular LBS, so I may go with that unless someone else has a strong opinion
2014-01-28 3:41 PM
in reply to: Omne38103

User image

, Connecticut
How often are you all breathing in the pool? I am learning and can't go more than a 25 yard length without stopping. I am learning to breathe bilaterally, taking breaths every third stroke. In talking to a friend who does casual short distance triathlons, she suggested I try to breathe more often. She only breathes on her right side, and breathes every other stroke, or every time she's on her right side stroke.

I know I would learn quicker if I breathed more often but I want to learn the right way so I'm tempted to stay with what I'm doing to follow longer, more painful but more correct way. I will definitely stick with the bilateral breathing, but wondering if there's a way I should try to breathe more often to get more comfortable.

Thoughts?
2014-01-28 7:49 PM
in reply to: #4938621

User image

Lakeside, California
Gailforce, I still struggle with the breathing frequency but I think it's getting better. I'm trying to learn to become more comfortable and I end up doing what come naturally to alleviate panic setting in while I'm trying to do laps. The pull buoy has really helped me focus on form more and as I start to get comfortable with that it gets easier to breath. Still got a long way to go but every once in a while I string a few strokes along and they feel almost effortless. Then when I realize that I end up screwing it all up. Lol. I guess my advice is to do what you are comfortable with and then as you progress then hone your technique. But that's coming from another beginner. Lol.
2014-01-29 12:29 AM
in reply to: Hepcat09

User image

New user

My 2cents for what it's worth -- 

The pull buoy is a great beginners tool in my opinion. I started with the pull buoy when I first started swimming. I really do think it helps you focus on your stroke and form without getting too worn out or kicking excessively. You definitely want to push but not to the point where you are struggling. Challenging is one thing, struggling is another. I think that if right now you need to breath every 2 strokes then that's what you should do. You could always do something like 2-2-3-2-2 -- so two strokes breathe right, 2 strokes breathe right, 3 strokes switch to left, 2 strokes breathe left, 2 strokes breathe left, 3 strokes switch to right.... I think you get the idea. That way you aren't aren't constantly gasping for air but you get practice breathing to both sides. As you build up your swimming stamina, you will be able to go 3 strokes with bilateral breathing. To lighten the mood:

hahah. :D All you beginning swimmers are working hard and should be proud! It definitely doesn't come overnight. If you look back on my calendar to Feb 2011, you'll see similar struggles. I just looked back -- on a 750 yd swim in 40 mins -- "250yds was kicking. Swam 2 75-yd in there. Trying to increase my endurance a little. Last week was all 25 or 50yds chunks. It didn't go too badly. I am just taking everything a day at a time." You'll get to where you want to be - just keep at it.  

I just want to say I love our group! I think everyone is doing a great job and is so encouraging and positive. It's great to have this group to turn to. I'm happy to be able to share my slight experience with you guys and I'm grateful for the feedback and encouragement from you guys. especially on bad days - it helps me tremendously to be able to vent, admit the negative feelings/thoughts I'm having but then move on - a lot of times thanks to your guy's help. *group hug* hahah sorry for the sappiness, I just love triathlon and the people that get involved in this sport I have found to be the most awesome people which all of you are. Okay, enough of me blubbering. Goodnight! 

2014-01-29 10:51 AM
in reply to: missyw2you

User image

Hi all,

Sorry been busy at work and all that 'other' stuff....

I join the local Tri Clubs coached swimming session last week - very nervous as haven't swam in a pool in over 4 years. Didn't drown so thats a postive ! really enjoyed the drills and will go again tonight. Reading the comments, swimming is just as hard for everyone. Seeing how hard everyone is working, the swim section will be conquered by us all by the first race

I have a duathlon this weekend run by the Tri Club, looking forward to it... I'm sure that I shall make a heaps of mistakes to learn from. Next weekend I have a 10k run, looking forward to trying to get my time to under 9.30 per mile.

I have entered my first Sprint tri May 3rd - apparently a very beginner friendly tri and thinking of Olympic tri in July - maybe a stretch goal but I like the challenge ! 1/2 marathon planned for June so hopefully getting a good base of expirence for Oceanside 70.3 in March 15. Any suggestions or comments welcome

Happy training everyone !

jan

2014-01-29 11:33 AM
in reply to: Millienz

User image

New user

If that Oceanside half iron is near you, you should try and volunteer this year! It will give you good exposure to the event.  

2014-01-29 12:50 PM
in reply to: missyw2you

User image

Another question: how long do you think you would need before completing a half or full Ironman? I want to do a full next year, sometime in the fall. I am looking at singing up for a half-distance in either September or October of this year. Do you think going from no swimming/cycling to 70.3-ready can be done in 8-9 months?
2014-01-29 1:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Melissa - great minds think alike - I voluteered yesterday

Omne38103 - I'd say yes to the cycling but not sure about the swimming....i'm sure some of the more experienced will be able to help.....

Edited by Millienz 2014-01-29 1:44 PM
2014-01-29 3:58 PM
in reply to: Millienz

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
Hi everyone! I just got back from the pool. It's about time I fit in a tri workout since it's been about a week. At least I did that snowshoeing over the weekend or else I'd feel really guilty! Unfortunately, you can't go back in time to make yourself workout when you didn't, so it's best to just keep focusing on the future and move ahead.

Omne - You've given me so much to comment on. I love it! Seriously though, I'll break it down into two sections for hopefully easier reading:

Regarding the bike shopping, have you tried out any of these bikes or do you just prefer the Treks on paper or because of how they look? I ask, because when I was in the market for my first bike, I was sure I wanted a Madone, but after trying out several bikes, ended up falling in love with a Specialized model instead. I'm not saying that you won't ultimately still like the Treks, just that you should at least take them for a spin, if possible, to make sure. As for the 1 Series 1.5 vs. the Madone 2.1, you should go with what you want, but honestly, they're not that different on paper. They're both aluminum frames with carbon forks and, while the Madone has more 105 components whereas the 1.5 has primarily Tiagra, they're both listed as 10 speed cassettes. You're not likely going to notice the differences in shifting between the two, although once again, this is another reason to test ride them if possible. I guess what I'm saying is that you'd primarily be paying more for the single step up in components, but if you don't notice the difference, I'd save your money and get the 1.5. You could always upgrade in the future...or buy another new bike!

As for the timing for stepping up to an HIM this year and an IM next year, it's doable, but it definitely depends on the progress you make in the next few months. I did an HIM in August of my first year. I came from a strong running background, and while I was relatively new at cycling, I took to that fairly quickly. The swimming was a struggle for me too though, and I made it, so you certainly could too. I'd suggest signing up for an Oly prior to the HIM since the swim distance is not much shorter. This will give you a feel as to whether or not you'll be okay for this. Going from a sprint to an HIM would be a large jump and would not be fun if you didn't deal with it well. If you do finish the HIM this year, a full IM next year is definitely doable. At that point, it's just putting in a lot more training. Just be sure you have the time for it, because it really does take over your life for a significant amount of time!

Gail - Definitely give the breathing on one side a go if that makes you more comfortable for now. I know it seems as though bilateral is always touted as the way to go, but it's not really necessary. I did my entire first season, including two HIMs with only breathing on my right side since I hadn't learned bilateral at that point. I'm not saying don't work on bilateral, just that it's probably more important to get more comfortable with your swimming, then you can focus on switching things up.

Melissa - I'm glad you're enjoying the group so much, it's great having such enthusiastic people to talk to!

Jan - I did my first sprint in May and first Oly the following July, so that's definitely a doable goal!

Happy training everyone and I look forward to reading more of your posts!
2014-01-29 4:20 PM

User image

, Connecticut
I read this article on smoothswim.com before I head off to the pool so hopefully it will help. I'm going to play with my exhalation and focus on exhalling right when my face hits the water. I'll try to chill out and go every other stroke too, even if it's not bilateral. But, I like the idea of randomly switching sides when it feels comfortable too.
http://swimsmooth.com/exhalation.html

2014-01-30 12:02 PM

User image

Originally posted by KiterChick
Omne - You've given me so much to comment on. I love it! Seriously though, I'll break it down into two sections for hopefully easier reading:

Regarding the bike shopping, have you tried out any of these bikes or do you just prefer the Treks on paper or because of how they look? I ask, because when I was in the market for my first bike, I was sure I wanted a Madone, but after trying out several bikes, ended up falling in love with a Specialized model instead. I'm not saying that you won't ultimately still like the Treks, just that you should at least take them for a spin, if possible, to make sure. As for the 1 Series 1.5 vs. the Madone 2.1, you should go with what you want, but honestly, they're not that different on paper. They're both aluminum frames with carbon forks and, while the Madone has more 105 components whereas the 1.5 has primarily Tiagra, they're both listed as 10 speed cassettes. You're not likely going to notice the differences in shifting between the two, although once again, this is another reason to test ride them if possible. I guess what I'm saying is that you'd primarily be paying more for the single step up in components, but if you don't notice the difference, I'd save your money and get the 1.5. You could always upgrade in the future...or buy another new bike!

As for the timing for stepping up to an HIM this year and an IM next year, it's doable, but it definitely depends on the progress you make in the next few months. I did an HIM in August of my first year. I came from a strong running background, and while I was relatively new at cycling, I took to that fairly quickly. The swimming was a struggle for me too though, and I made it, so you certainly could too. I'd suggest signing up for an Oly prior to the HIM since the swim distance is not much shorter. This will give you a feel as to whether or not you'll be okay for this. Going from a sprint to an HIM would be a large jump and would not be fun if you didn't deal with it well. If you do finish the HIM this year, a full IM next year is definitely doable. At that point, it's just putting in a lot more training. Just be sure you have the time for it, because it really does take over your life for a significant amount of time!

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't been on any of the bikes yet, just been going to the different LBSs to see what they have. I haven't gotten to the point of test riding yet, but I know that's a very important part of it. To be honest, I've never ridden a bike that I have to change gears on, so this is all new to me. I've been riding on a spin bike this month, usually doing 30-40 minute rides. I put in one of the GF's DVDs of some course in Colorado and made sure to change the resistance to match the hills. Buying a bike is something I'm excited about, but also being realistic. Would I notice the difference between Tiagra and 105 components? Doubtful. For $1350, I could get a Trek (assuming fit and geometry are good) 1.5 with a bottle and cage, saddle bag with full flat kit, and basic computer.

As far as the timing...I have a background in running as well, and I'm not too worried about biking given my potential HIM is 7 months away. It's really about the swimming. I have a sprint scheduled in May, and there are Olympic-distance races around here throughout the summer that I plan to sign up for. I could always sign up, and if the Olympic ends up a disaster that shows I"m not ready, then I just go spectate the HIM and chalk up my entrance fee as a donation to WTC.
2014-01-30 10:09 PM

Hey Everyone,

Sorry I have been missing from the group over the past week or so, but I have been getting some workouts in at least. Last week I didn't get to the pool at all but did manage a run and bike as well as some strength training. It was a really busy week for me at work, with most days stretching well into the evening. So i wasn't able to get to the gym as much as I wouldn't have liked but I did some workout DVD's at home (sometimes at midnight) just so that I didn't completely miss being active for the week.

This week has been better with my schedule, and I have gotten more time at the gym. Yesterday was my first swim class. I was so intimidated going in but it was really great! There are 6 swimmers in the class and the instructor is great. We worked on some drills which break down the overall swim stroke and I am starting to feel sightly more confident in the water which I think stemmed from the support of the group. We are all new swimmers, and that word of encouragement from a fellow swimmer as you both gasped for breath at the end of the length meant at lot You didn't feel so alone or hopeless about the overall picture but could rejoice in the small achievements. I would highly encourage looking into a swim class for those that aren't comfortable in the water.

I also did a 30 min treadmill run last night after my swim class. It was the first time in a long time that I ran 30 minutes continuously. Normally I run 10 min and walk 1, but last night my goal was to run solidly. I was definitely slow, but this gives me a base to work up from. Separate from my triathlon goal for the year, I want to be able to run 5k in less than 30 minutes. The first step in moving towards this goal is to run 30 consecutive minutes because this goal does not allow for walk breaks (unless you are super speedy, which I'm not). All in all after a great swim class and good run I felt amazing last night.

I have got caught up on everyone's posts and you are all doing amazing, so proud of the group and love having the support from others who are going through a similar journey
2014-01-31 1:32 PM
in reply to: Lcarslake

User image

, Connecticut
I tried breathing every other stroke (on the same side), and then I tried switching once in awhile to stay bilateral but still breath every other, the 2/2/3/2/2. It did NOT work for me. It was still uncomfortable, and breathing more often somehow did not prevent me from being out of breath. My guess is that even the act of inhaling is not efficient right now, I'll often breathe in water, choke, etc. I think I'm best suited to stick with bilateral breathing every third stroke.

My biggest fear is getting in a race situation and something goes wrong where I can't just stop like I would in a pool. Goggles fill with water, I swallow a huge gulp of water, can't breathe, etc. I guess once I get out on the lake in the spring I'll figure that stuff out. My guess is that involves treading water, resting somehow. This whole water thing is quite tricky. I'll be glad when I'm comfortable enough to get through it and know I can complete a 1.2 mile swim.
2014-01-31 2:24 PM
in reply to: GailForce

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
Hi everyone! I got in an hour on the trainer yesterday. Was going to run today, but I don't think I'm going to have time. I still ended up working out a lot more in January than I did in December (13 vs. 3 days) so that's encouraging. Now, I'll need to spend February working on getting in more morning workouts and getting more consistent in general. I have about four months between now and my bigger races/rides so I should start focusing more. No excuses for the weekend, unless I get lazy, which I need to stop using as an excuse, so hopefully, February should get off to a great start!

Gail - I read that swimming article you posted the link to. I'm definitely guilty of holding my breath underwater! It's not that I'm uncomfortable with the idea of exhaling under the water, it's just a bad habit I need to work on breaking. I've been trying to focus on it over the past month, but I do find myself reverting back to bad habits. I'll definitely work on it more as time goes on.

As for you being worried if you have issues during a race, there will be lots of options. As you mentioned, you can certainly stop and tread water. You're also generally allowed to grab onto a kayak if they have them out there watching over you. You could also flip over and start with some backstroking. That way, you'll be able to breathe freely, but sill make some forward progress. Really, whatever you feel comfortable with is fine.

Omne - Good luck with the bike shopping. Trying out a bike with gears will seem awkward at first, but you'll get used to it quickly. Also, you don't necessarily have to completely rule out the HIM if the Oly swim is "disastrous". If the issue is something that you can work on, then use that information to your advantage and work on improving. Then again, if it makes you extremely uncomfortable, then yes, you could certainly postpone until next year.

Lacey - You did a workout DVD at midnight? You're more dedicated than I am! Glad you enjoyed your swim class, and congratulations on making it through 30 minutes of continuous running! Just don't overdo it too much in the beginning; I'd hate for your to develop an overuse injury when you're ramping up so well.

Happy training, everyone, and have a great weekend!
2014-02-01 2:14 AM
in reply to: #4915803

User image

Well the weekend is here, and I am still in bed, not out running.. Will go swimming later and make up for it. With the swimming breathing out underwater makes a huge difference. Really breath out a lot. One exercise is to exhale at the deep end until you sink, if you float up, just keep breathing out. You will sink, keep breathing out a good steady stream. The idea is that in getting rid of the co2 you don't feel the need to gasp for air. Hopefully when you swim the feelings of running out of puff will reduce. Try and watch as you turn you head to breath. Is there water kicked out sideways as you head turns? If so breath out more under water. If you head is in the water you should be bubbling! Well that's the theory.... Now for my second session.......

2014-02-01 3:28 AM
in reply to: #4942396

User image

I've been soooo lazy this week, only two 30min sessions on the trainer... Must get back on track next week!

Does anyone have an idea of avg distance 30min on a trainer would be? My misfit shine records it as "intense cycling" and HRM averages 116BPM...

Swimming last week went really well, looking forward to getting back in the pool next week, starting some run training & strength training
2014-02-01 5:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Omne38103

Another question: how long do you think you would need before completing a half or full Ironman? I want to do a full next year, sometime in the fall. I am looking at singing up for a half-distance in either September or October of this year. Do you think going from no swimming/cycling to 70.3-ready can be done in 8-9 months?

Yes, it has to be, because I'm doing the same thing in Sept. and am already committed (forked out $200.) So YES! No one is allowed to be a naysayer either! hee hee

If you haven't done so, get a copy of Don Fink's book - Be Iron Fit. His 30 week IM program can be modified to a 20-22 week HIM easily.

Edited by chuff920 2014-02-03 8:19 AM
2014-02-01 5:54 PM
in reply to: GailForce

User image

Originally posted by GailForce

My biggest fear is getting in a race situation and something goes wrong where I can't just stop like I would in a pool. Goggles fill with water, I swallow a huge gulp of water, can't breathe, etc. I guess once I get out on the lake in the spring I'll figure that stuff out. My guess is that involves treading water, resting somehow. This whole water thing is quite tricky. I'll be glad when I'm comfortable enough to get through it and know I can complete a 1.2 mile swim.

YES! Me too!! Especially the swallowing water part, although I am getting quite good at coughing under water without inhaling any.
2014-02-03 12:51 PM
in reply to: chuff920

User image

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm still evaluating my options. I think if I was more comfortable on the swim, I wouldn't hesitate to sign up for the HIM.

I did a 10k at race pace this weekend, and felt pretty good about it. I hope I can sustain it for the half marathon. I also biked 45 minutes on the spinner on Sunday. Missed open swim time at the pool this morning (damn you 12 degree temperature!) but I may go this evening. I'm going to up my swimming days to 3x week
2014-02-04 9:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
Good morning! I'm currently sitting in my kitchen, freezing my butt off because I'm having the windows in my condo replaced. It will be great when they're in though, and this is definitely making me appreciate how much of the cold they keep out in the winter. Made it to the pool yesterday, which was a good way to start the week. I tried to focus on the continuous underwater breathing we've all be talking about. I'm fine when I think about it, but I did find myself holding my breath more when I was focusing on other things. Just have to keep working on it and hopefully it will become natural eventually. Was going to get on the trainer today, but they're forecasting more snow for tomorrow, so I should probably run today and save the indoor cycling for when I'm potentially snowed in.

KJ - It's difficult to say what the average distance on a trainer would be for any length of time. It would depend on your level of cycling fitness and I also find that different trainers have varying levels of resistance. If you're not already aware too, average trainer speeds and distances are usually slower than what you would expect to average on the road, so your distance would likely be shorter than an outdoor ride, even if the effort felt similar.
I'm not sure how accurate your Shine is regarding activity levels. If you would like to train off of HR, you could do a test like this one: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... If that seems a bit much, I'd suggest just going off of RPE until you build your base more. How do you feel when you're averaging 116 BPM? Does it feel difficult to maintain this? I ask, because for a lot of people, 116 BPM would be at the lower end of your HR range, so it likely wouldn't correspond to "intense cycling", but everyone is different.

Brrr, I think I need to go find a coat now. Keep up the great training, everyone!

2014-02-04 6:33 PM

User image

A new stumbling block. Oh goody.

I've noticed a pattern with my swim classes. The day after a class, I feel like I'm coming down with the flu - coughing, achiness, headaches...and I can't take a deep breath without pain in my lungs. Not burning, but pain. This happens every time. The first time I went to urgent care and they gave me a z pack for bronchitis, even though she said she couldn't hear anything wrong with my lungs - they weren't congested or anything. I took the antibiotics and nothing happened.

While I was in PR for 10 days and swam in the ocean, all my symptoms went away.

I swam last Sat. am and felt like I was getting the flu by that afternoon. By Sunday afternoon, I was fine again. Swam last night and today felt flu-ish.

So I did some searching online and found links between indoor pools and chlorine and upper respiratory illnesses and chlorine induced asthma. A swim coach friend of mine, who does not have asthma, said that she swam several years in an indoor swimming pool year 'round and had to use an inhaler.

Anyone else having this issue? There are no saltwater pools in my area either, so switching pools is out.
2014-02-05 10:32 AM

User image

New user

Pool induced ashma sounds awful! And unfortunate! I'm sorry to hear. But at least it sounds like there is hope! Time to see a doctor? 

I've been doing alright. Got a 7 mile run in on saturday and 30 miles on the bike Monday. Rough day at work yesterday so I was feeling crappy. My diet hasn't been the best since the a cheat-y weekend and a binge yesterday from feeling stressed. :/ 

Blah. I am still plugging away. Overall I have been feeling pretty good about my training so I am trying to hold onto the feeling and stay positive. 

2014-02-05 3:35 PM

User image

, Connecticut
Chuff - I have noticed that I think I'm getting a head cold after EVERY pool session. I start to feel it in my throat about a half hour post-swim. I go home, take Airborne,feel it in my throat and nose and it goes away the next day, I never get the cold. But each time in the car ride from the pool I swear I'm sick. Weird. Not sure if that's what it is, no issues breathing, just standard head cold symptoms. I was attributing it to the grossness of bathing in a pool of germs. I go to two different pools, one clean and new and the other old and dingy. I had the issue with both pools so I was thinking it was the chorine. Never a dull moment here.

Does anyone listen to podcasts? I listen to Endurance Planet where they talk long distance tri. They are serious athletes so I feel like a loser when I listen but they were adimant on today's episode that two swim sessions a week is NOT enough for long course tri training. They actually were saying you should get 3 sessions of each discipline in each week, plus strength training (not gonna happen for me). But, most important for 3 sessions was the swim because it's so technical and if you're only doing two sessions/week you lose your feel for the water. Again, I'm thinking they are serious athletes who are going to win their age group, but it put a little scare in me. I'm doing about 6 hours / week right now and going for 2 sessions per discipline. With 2 kids and a full time job, that's about all I've got in me. I figure I'll max out at about 10-12 hours / week training (I'm training for a half IM in Sept). All I want to do is finish, not looking for Podium or Kona. That all said, I'm looking at one pool session this week due to the dumping of snow we got today. Stuck at home with the kiddos, no swimmie for me. Sub'd the bike trainer in the basement for 60 min and of course 50+ min of shoveling was my strength workout.
2014-02-05 6:08 PM

User image

Chuff - dont get asthma but do get skin eczema everytime I'm in the pool round my etes and ears....not the most atractive That's going to make swim training a little difficult for you

Interesting about 3 swims session a week. My thoughts were to increase my swims to 3 sessions a week since its my most difficult phase.....adding in two bike, two runs and strength training is a total mission - I dont have kids so maybe doable since my husband is a insane long distance cyclist that's training as well. Not sure I could manage kids on top of that training and a demanding job! I'm sure other have good ideas but my thoughts were to focus on the weakest phase and fit the other phases around life commitments ...

Short run tonight before 10k at weekend, and hopefully a coached swim session - trying to get some skill training to work on whilst we are away for the rest of the month

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 11

RELATED POSTS

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 37104 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24095 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15894 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29192 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.