Other Resources The Political Joe » Want to know how polarized we are? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-01-14 12:16 AM

User image

Pro
Subject: Want to know how polarized we are?

This was the headline story on CNN for most of the evening/night......and still not reported on fox news.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/13/justice/florida-movie-theater-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

There can be no doubt here about where I stand on gun control......but really?  No reporting at all about this from Fox?  I'm lost...how is this not a story?

2014-01-14 12:23 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Subject: RE: Want to know how polarized we are?
Agreed. If the theatre was unwilling to deal with victim then the shooter could have asked for his money back, sucked it up like a big boy and left. Now as a retired cop his life will be worthless in prison.
2014-01-14 5:15 AM

User image

I'm not sure how much more they could have covered it.

Retired cop arrested in fatal Florida theater shooting
Fox News-1 hour ago
A retired police officer allegedly shot two people, one fatally, during a cell phone dispute inside a Florida movie theater Monday, authorities ...

Deadly Movie Theater Shooting In Florida
FOX News Radio-13 hours ago
A man is dead and a woman wounded following a shooting inside a movie theater in the Tampa suburb of Wesley Chapel. It started because ...

Sheriff's office: 2 people shot inside Tampa Bay area movie theater ...
Fox News-15 hours ago
The Pasco County Sheriff's Office reports that the shooting occurred Monday at The Grove 16 Theater in Wesley Chapel, north of Tampa.

Authorities: 2 people shot, 1 fatally, at Fla. movie theater amid ...
Fox News-14 hours ago
Authorities say a man has been arrested on suspicion of shooting two ... fatally — after an argument over cell phone use at a Florida theater.
2014-01-14 8:58 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DanielG I'm not sure how much more they could have covered it. Retired cop arrested in fatal Florida theater shooting Fox News-1 hour ago A retired police officer allegedly shot two people, one fatally, during a cell phone dispute inside a Florida movie theater Monday, authorities ... Deadly Movie Theater Shooting In Florida FOX News Radio-13 hours ago A man is dead and a woman wounded following a shooting inside a movie theater in the Tampa suburb of Wesley Chapel. It started because ... Sheriff's office: 2 people shot inside Tampa Bay area movie theater ... Fox News-15 hours ago The Pasco County Sheriff's Office reports that the shooting occurred Monday at The Grove 16 Theater in Wesley Chapel, north of Tampa. Authorities: 2 people shot, 1 fatally, at Fla. movie theater amid ... Fox News-14 hours ago Authorities say a man has been arrested on suspicion of shooting two ... fatally — after an argument over cell phone use at a Florida theater.

I'm sure they're on it now....my post was from last night and the story was the headline on CNN.com for hours before Foxnews.com had anything.  I've read enough of both sites to be used to it, which is why I read both sites, but this was pretty much a no brainer.

2014-01-14 9:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by DanielG I'm not sure how much more they could have covered it. Retired cop arrested in fatal Florida theater shooting Fox News-1 hour ago A retired police officer allegedly shot two people, one fatally, during a cell phone dispute inside a Florida movie theater Monday, authorities ... Deadly Movie Theater Shooting In Florida FOX News Radio-13 hours ago A man is dead and a woman wounded following a shooting inside a movie theater in the Tampa suburb of Wesley Chapel. It started because ... Sheriff's office: 2 people shot inside Tampa Bay area movie theater ... Fox News-15 hours ago The Pasco County Sheriff's Office reports that the shooting occurred Monday at The Grove 16 Theater in Wesley Chapel, north of Tampa. Authorities: 2 people shot, 1 fatally, at Fla. movie theater amid ... Fox News-14 hours ago Authorities say a man has been arrested on suspicion of shooting two ... fatally — after an argument over cell phone use at a Florida theater.

I'm sure they're on it now....my post was from last night and the story was the headline on CNN.com for hours before Foxnews.com had anything.  I've read enough of both sites to be used to it, which is why I read both sites, but this was pretty much a no brainer.

or was it a left brainer *rimshot*

2014-01-14 9:07 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

or was it a left brainer *rimshot*

What? HAHAHA!

2014-01-14 9:25 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Agreed.  That's why it is silly for anyone to get their "news" from any one source.

2014-01-14 10:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

That very question is why I left the times in the pull down I got.

14-16 hours prior to my 6:00 AM post was 2:00-4:00 the previous afternoon. Fox had it on the site. May not have been in the front page or front news page and I hope it wasn't until the various sites got some details about it.

I read as many English news sites as i can get my paws on just to see who carries what and where each cuts the story, what each leaves out from the story and it's amusing to see the various takes on the same story.

Oh, here's a list of the news sites I have spiders for:
http://ankylosaur.com/newspaperoutput.html

Edited by DanielG 2014-01-14 10:01 AM
2014-01-14 10:01 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

New user
I don't understand why this is "national" news anyway. I am sure that this wasn't the only senseless killing that happened on that day.
2014-01-14 10:03 AM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Originally posted by NXS

I don't understand why this is "national" news anyway. I am sure that this wasn't the only senseless killing that happened on that day.

Quite a few of the newspapers wanted this to be a concealed carry holder.

Now that it's known to be a cop, it'll go away and be background noise.
2014-01-14 10:08 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DanielG

That very question is why I left the times in the pull down I got. 14-16 hours prior to my 6:00 AM post was 2:00-4:00 the previous afternoon. Fox had it on the site. May not have been in the front page or front news page and I hope it wasn't until the various sites got some details about it. I read as many English news sites as i can get my paws on just to see who carries what and where each cuts the story, what each leaves out from the story and it's amusing to see the various takes on the same story. Oh, here's a list of the news sites I have spiders for: http://ankylosaur.com/newspaperoutput.html

Maybe at midnight last night, while I was searching for it, foxnews.com was doing site maintenance.  

You know we're on the same page.....I just found it funny last night...and it still is.  CNN.com is still running it as their top story, it's pretty far down on foxnews.com

2014-01-14 10:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

That very question is why I left the times in the pull down I got. 14-16 hours prior to my 6:00 AM post was 2:00-4:00 the previous afternoon. Fox had it on the site. May not have been in the front page or front news page and I hope it wasn't until the various sites got some details about it. I read as many English news sites as i can get my paws on just to see who carries what and where each cuts the story, what each leaves out from the story and it's amusing to see the various takes on the same story. Oh, here's a list of the news sites I have spiders for: http://ankylosaur.com/newspaperoutput.html

Maybe at midnight last night, while I was searching for it, foxnews.com was doing site maintenance.  

You know we're on the same page.....I just found it funny last night...and it still is.  CNN.com is still running it as their top story, it's pretty far down on foxnews.com

Yeah, I know we are. Thing is, it's on myfox Tampa Bay on front page along with the originally posted 1:51 PM yesterday tag on it.
I believe they're leaving it as a local thing rather than pushing it nationally.

I still say it'll die down within a day or so rather than being front page for a week or more if it were Joe Citizen.

Cop busted for Murder II, that's a story, though.

Edited by DanielG 2014-01-14 10:27 AM
2014-01-14 10:29 AM

User image

Pro

Yeah, I know we are. Thing is, it's on myfox Tampa Bay on front page along with the originally posted 1:51 PM yesterday tag on it. I believe they're leaving it as a local thing rather than pushing it nationally. I still say it'll die down within a day or so rather than being front page for a week or more if it were Joe Citizen. Cop busted for Murder II, that's a story, though.

Apparently that knucklehead was also the head of security at Busch's Garden for awhile too?   Geez......he lost his mind.

2014-01-14 10:37 AM

User image

Yeah, I know we are. Thing is, it's on myfox Tampa Bay on front page along with the originally posted 1:51 PM yesterday tag on it. I believe they're leaving it as a local thing rather than pushing it nationally. I still say it'll die down within a day or so rather than being front page for a week or more if it were Joe Citizen. Cop busted for Murder II, that's a story, though.

Apparently that knucklehead was also the head of security at Busch's Garden for awhile too?   Geez......he lost his mind.

I've got to say I don't know enough about the situation to even be able to have an opinion. So far it's only news agencies telling stories.

Before long we'll hear at least both sides, even if they're not both posted to the same news agencies

2014-01-14 10:39 AM

User image

Pro

I've got to say I don't know enough about the situation to even be able to have an opinion. So far it's only news agencies telling stories. Before long we'll hear at least both sides, even if they're not both posted to the same news agencies

True enough....but just to be on the safe side I'm not texting for awhile.

2014-01-14 10:49 AM

User image

.but just to be on the safe side I'm not texting for awhile.

Switch your keyboard to braille and turn off the backlight.

2014-01-14 12:43 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

It wasn't even during the movie! The theatre was still showing previews. I get annoyed by people using their phone in movie theatres too, but I cut people a little slack if the actual movie hasn't started yet.

As far as national news goes, you may be right that it dies down since it's not Joe Citzen, but, OTOH, it sort of flies in the face of the common pro-gun-rights claim that " the only people you have to worry about having guns are criminals." Here's a career law enforcement officer, and, presumably a legal gun owner, who flew off the handle for ten seconds over something trivial and an unarmed person is dead. It's obviously an isolated incident-- one guy who lost his mind, and shouldn't really be extrapolated out to the millions of other gun owners, but that doesn't mean it can't be spun that way.

2014-01-14 1:15 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

It wasn't even during the movie! The theatre was still showing previews. I get annoyed by people using their phone in movie theatres too, but I cut people a little slack if the actual movie hasn't started yet.

As far as national news goes, you may be right that it dies down since it's not Joe Citzen, but, OTOH, it sort of flies in the face of the common pro-gun-rights claim that " the only people you have to worry about having guns are criminals." Here's a career law enforcement officer, and, presumably a legal gun owner, who flew off the handle for ten seconds over something trivial and an unarmed person is dead. It's obviously an isolated incident-- one guy who lost his mind, and shouldn't really be extrapolated out to the millions of other gun owners, but that doesn't mean it can't be spun that way.

and here is exactly why I do not pretend to make judgment on what happened. Neither one of us has enough information to make any such assumptions, period.

Perhaps waiting until we actually know what happened would be a good idea prior to any decree one way or another.

Unless, of course, you were witness to the event. In that case you really should take that to the investigating authority.

2014-01-14 1:35 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I wonder will the guy used stand your ground defense. The victim did have HOT butter.
2014-01-14 2:50 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

It wasn't even during the movie! The theatre was still showing previews. I get annoyed by people using their phone in movie theatres too, but I cut people a little slack if the actual movie hasn't started yet. As far as national news goes, you may be right that it dies down since it's not Joe Citzen, but, OTOH, it sort of flies in the face of the common pro-gun-rights claim that " the only people you have to worry about having guns are criminals." Here's a career law enforcement officer, and, presumably a legal gun owner, who flew off the handle for ten seconds over something trivial and an unarmed person is dead. It's obviously an isolated incident-- one guy who lost his mind, and shouldn't really be extrapolated out to the millions of other gun owners, but that doesn't mean it can't be spun that way.

Sometimes the only difference between a cop and a street thug is the badge. 

The real take away here is that you need to be armed yourself if you want to text in a movie theater, oh and you need to practice your quick draw.

Gratuitous smiley to prove my post is facetious. 

2014-01-14 2:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Yeah this kind of thing happens in other western countries all the time.//pink

2014-01-14 3:01 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Aarondb4

It wasn't even during the movie! The theatre was still showing previews. I get annoyed by people using their phone in movie theatres too, but I cut people a little slack if the actual movie hasn't started yet. As far as national news goes, you may be right that it dies down since it's not Joe Citzen, but, OTOH, it sort of flies in the face of the common pro-gun-rights claim that " the only people you have to worry about having guns are criminals." Here's a career law enforcement officer, and, presumably a legal gun owner, who flew off the handle for ten seconds over something trivial and an unarmed person is dead. It's obviously an isolated incident-- one guy who lost his mind, and shouldn't really be extrapolated out to the millions of other gun owners, but that doesn't mean it can't be spun that way.

Sometimes the only difference between a cop and a street thug is the badge. 

The real take away here is that you need to be armed yourself if you want to text in a movie theater, oh and you need to practice your quick draw.

Gratuitous smiley to prove my post is facetious

Which part?  Because, you know, sometimes the only difference between facetious and a thug are the words.

2014-01-14 3:07 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by chirunner134

I wonder will the guy used stand your ground defense. The victim did have HOT butter.

From a Fox article:
"[Sherrif] Nocco said his detectives considered if the case qualified under the state's controversial "stand your ground law," which permits residents to employ deadly force if they fear imminent danger, but decided the criteria did not apply."

The victim did aparently throw his popcorn at the retired cop, which, according to witnesses, precipitated the shooting.
2014-01-14 3:09 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Originally posted by simpsonbo

Yeah this kind of thing happens in other western countries all the time.//pink

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/mexico/131...
Five gunmen were killed in the pre-dawn shoot-out in Puerto Penasco, which is across the border from Arizona, on Wednesday, marking another bloody day in Mexico.

http://myfox8.com/2014/01/08/venezuelan-beauty-queen-slain-daughter...
CARACAS, Venezuela — In one of her last Twitter posts, Venezuelan beauty queen Monica Spear wished her fans peace, health and love.

The 29-year-old soap opera star was gunned down by the side of a country road less than a week later.

Or were you thinking it doesn't happen elsewhere?

2014-01-14 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
2 models of "western democracy".

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Want to know how polarized we are? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 0
Everything you want to know (and then some).