General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chicago Marathon entry now a lottery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-01-17 2:39 PM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Chicago Marathon entry now a lottery

Originally posted by Brit Abroad

Originally posted by tarmac52 love running, love races, do not see the attraction to running Chicago marathon THIS many times to quality for a qualified entry, ugggh! I ran it this past year (2nd time) just to prepare for upcoming Ironman... my first time in 2004... exciting... 2nd time, boring as hell. I cannot see running this marathon year after year, it's just plain boring.

Depends on WHY you run it...

Totally agree.
Last year I had a charity slot for Chicago Marathon so it brought a whole new level of meaning to my 8th marathon. Plus I ran with a friend and it was her first... it was just a great time all around even though it was not my first "Chicago" and it was "uneventful" otherwise. 

I agree it will likely deter folks who want to check the box (nothing wrong with that BTW), there are much less expensive and less logistical races to enter.

Different strokes!

2014-01-17 2:49 PM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

NC
Originally posted by turtlegirl

I just don't really like the idea that if you're fast, we'll make it easy for you trends. 

I certainly don't see this as a trend for the vast majority of races. If anything, there seems to be more of a if you're slow(er), then we will try to accommodate you trend. That's where the additional money is to be made. I'm plenty slow and I have zero problems with any race wanting to attract a faster field.

2014-01-17 2:59 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
3:15 is about 10:00 faster than this old fart can run, so I guess that I will just do Boston again. FYI, NYCM has AG qualifying times and for me (M55-59) the QT is one minute faster at 3:14.
2014-01-17 3:04 PM
in reply to: Dan-L

New user
Key West
Originally posted by Dan-L

Question regarding this.  Why give a guaranteed entry to faster folks?  Why not just go full lottery? I understand and agree with legacy program, but to reward those on time I don't see the purpose. 

Because people that take running seriously and are prepared to make sacrifices are more worthy than a place than those that don't. It's set up as a running race by running people.

This would be my guess (I'm a 4 hour marathon man on a good day btw)

Whoa doggies, I take running seriously, but will be 60 years old (female) in less than two months. Sorry but my 3:45 days were back when I was 40 and below. No way I can get close to that now. So, they have decided that the masters(or grand masters, etc) runners (those not nationally competitive) are not a priority. They can do that, but that will be one less marathon I am interested in doing.
2014-01-17 3:33 PM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Originally posted by Brit Abroad

Originally posted by tarmac52 love running, love races, do not see the attraction to running Chicago marathon THIS many times to quality for a qualified entry, ugggh! I ran it this past year (2nd time) just to prepare for upcoming Ironman... my first time in 2004... exciting... 2nd time, boring as hell. I cannot see running this marathon year after year, it's just plain boring.

Depends on WHY you run it...

I don't run it to win. I don't run it to set a PR. I don't run it because it's a fascinating course.

I run it because I live here, and lots of my friends live here. Lots of my friends love running it (as do I). My non-runner friends treat marathon Sunday like a huge tailgate, so I see them partying at various points around the city. After the race, we all meet up to participate in a Sunday Funday for the ages (Monday is Columbus Day - HOLIDAY). That's why I run it, and will continue to run it every year, barring unforeseen injury/obligation.

It might not be for everyone, and that's fine with me. But I love marathon Sunday.

Well the charities will love you... or maybe you'll qualify because you ran so many... either way, good luck in 2014. I have just never been so bored as I was this year... at mile 8, I coudln't wait for it to be over... at mile 16, the miles flew right by... thank goodness. It was my best time... 4:14... however, I knew that would be my last Chicago marathon... at least for a long while.
2014-01-18 9:35 AM
in reply to: tarmac52

New user
Key West
On the subject of Marathons. I have done Marine Corps a few times and enjoyed running the monuments and have also done NYC once, which is a lot of fun, but not one to do for any sort of competitive time. Qualified for Boston many years ago but, because of life commitments, didn't make it. I am looking to do another one this year and wonder if anyone has ever done Grandma's Marathon in Minnesota. I have always read that it is a fast course and nicely run, but would love to hear from someone who has actually done it.

2014-01-19 1:52 AM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
I think a lot more races are adopting dual start times based on somewhat arbitrary cutoffs. This solves the same problem for the first half of the race...until the faster/late start people start overtaking the slower/early start people.

In any case, mega-marathons are always going to have the congestion issue which is a huge reason not to run that race.

Personally, I prefer the Boston style start with corrals based on estimated finishing times, but that is only feasible if they can shut down the streets long enough for the slowest people who start last.

What are your thoughts?

If you are concerned that Chicago will keep sliding towards a BQ system...that is totally fair.
2014-02-13 2:36 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Yes, very frustrating. My goal for this year was to complete all 6 marathon majors within a year. I have an entry for Boston (no, I'm not fast enough, hence not skipping Chicago's lottery), I have guaranteed entry for NY, I got into Berlin. But now that goal is up in the air since Chicago, London and Tokyo are going the way of the lottery.

2014-02-14 4:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Question regarding this.  Why give a guaranteed entry to faster folks?  Why not just go full lottery? I understand and agree with legacy program, but to reward those on time I don't see the purpose. 

Well, a lot of the faster folks use key races within a dedicated block of time (months and years) to achieve specific time goals and standards. Certified, Well-attended, flat races, like Chicago are rare and necessary for some of these people to hit those standards. 

If one had to use a lottery for this, it could screw up an entire season. Maybe even worse.

Plus, such a small percentage of people hit the standard anyway, it has pretty minimal effect on the rest of the entries. 

*That is the benefit for the athletes.

In terms of the benefits for the race itself, that has been covered here.

Edited by Asalzwed 2014-02-14 4:32 PM
2014-02-14 4:47 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by dfroelich I think a lot more races are adopting dual start times based on somewhat arbitrary cutoffs. This solves the same problem for the first half of the race...until the faster/late start people start overtaking the slower/early start people. In any case, mega-marathons are always going to have the congestion issue which is a huge reason not to run that race. Personally, I prefer the Boston style start with corrals based on estimated finishing times, but that is only feasible if they can shut down the streets long enough for the slowest people who start last. What are your thoughts? If you are concerned that Chicago will keep sliding towards a BQ system...that is totally fair.

Due to the cluster last year, I think the step they took is a good one with the lottery and a time qualifying allowance. 

As for the specific cutoffs, I think it needs some work.

1. it's gender skewed (it should probably be % vs just a simple 30 min addition)

2. It should be age graded

2014-04-14 10:41 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

New user

Originally posted by Chicago Marathon.com Lottery entrants will be notified of their selection on Monday, April 14. Notifications will be distributed on a rolling basis from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Sooooo. Anyone get their email?

2014-04-14 10:45 AM
in reply to: AHanrath

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by AHanrath

Originally posted by Chicago Marathon.com Lottery entrants will be notified of their selection on Monday, April 14. Notifications will be distributed on a rolling basis from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Sooooo. Anyone get their email?

I did and I am all signed up now.
2014-04-14 3:37 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

New user

Got my email saying I got in about 20 minutes ago, hope the rest of BT has our luck.
2014-04-14 6:52 PM
in reply to: AHanrath

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Luckily I got in. My wife and I are trying to do all 6 world marathon majors this year, and most of them becoming lotteries is really screwing that up. Luckily at this point we're into Boston, Berlin, Chicago and NY. Keeping fingers crossed for Tokyo and London.

Congrats to all the BT'ers that got in!

ps - With all that going on I'll be I get into Kona tomorrow.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chicago Marathon entry now a lottery Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Lottery spot or guaranteed entry?

Started by thebigb
Views: 1853 Posts: 23

2012-04-26 2:08 PM thebigb

Ironman Entry/Lottery

Started by triseattle
Views: 1480 Posts: 6

2010-02-12 9:36 PM triseattle

Chicago triathlon Race Entry

Started by Bob1326
Views: 819 Posts: 2

2009-06-23 11:40 AM BikerGrrrl

NYC marathon lottery results

Started by summer_2005
Views: 1080 Posts: 11

2006-06-08 8:12 AM summer_2005

Chicago Tri Entry

Started by brianb
Views: 1023 Posts: 11

2005-06-21 5:23 PM instigator
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Questions and answers on wetsuit swimming, cadence, interval time, paddle benefit, hand entry, runners kick drills, bilateral breathing and race breathing.
date : June 11, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 2
So someone convinced you to get off the couch and truck-it to the finish line. Now what? Here's a look at the process from admiring others to inspiring others.

date : March 7, 2007
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : September 3, 2005
Now we will add in the focus on how you will enter your hands in the water upon recovery, and how to rotate to the next side.

date : November 28, 2004
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!